On Saturday we came home from collecting more strawberries to find a kitchen full of ants. Small ants and flying ants swarming all over the walls around the range cooker. I got the hoover out sharpish and sucked up all I could see and then again and again and again!
They are obviously in the old brickwork of the inglenook where my range now sits.
On Sunday we came home from the car boot sale to find a kitchen full of ants.............AGAIN. Repeat performance with hoover.
Oh the joys of living in an old house!
Took me right back to childhood when every summer we would have the same problem but I'm sure my Mum's answer to the annual swarming was to spray them all with insect killer.
The cottage I grew up in was even older than our present home and dated from around the 17th century. It had a timber frame and some wattle and daub walls. Here we have clay lump walls on two and a half sides of the older part of the house while the other walls must have been replaced with bricks at a later date. The other part is a modern extension built in the 1970s. The whole house was then rendered at some time and repainting that is yet another job that needs doing...........but not by us!
We keep finding things that need repair work - and the one most worrying was when the man who came to service the oil boiler told us that we really ought to update and move our oil tank as it was showing signs of age and is too close to the garage. Of course this was a few weeks after having it filled!
Some of the other things that need doing are
- Get on with finishing painting woodwork in the kitchen.
- Paint living-room
- Get the garage re-roofed before winter - The felt is split, wooden bits rotting and tiles uneven.
- Have a new up and over garage doors so we can actually get a car in and out - the doors won't stay open, having a tendency to fall on your head/the car.
- Find a good builder to make the corner of the bedroom into an en-suite
- Get cracks filled in rendering on outside of house and get it painted or coated with weathershield stuff
- Get the toilet replaced downstairs
- Have a new kitchen fitted ( not anytime soon!)
Thank you for all the comments yesterday
Back in a tick