Monday 23 October 2017

The Tree Feller................

..................................... and his wife!
came  last week to cut down 4 trees.


 This is the (foggy Thursday morning) before work photo, with the trees.....Willow and Poplar overhanging and some branches actually sitting on the roof of the workshop, with their roots probably damaging the floor underneath.

 This is the lady up a tree, one down already, 3 more to come down.

And afterwards
Looks like complete devastation, but the stumps remain and the willows will regrow from the bottom to make a hedge rather than huge trees. There's now nothing to fall on the workshop or the farmers field and the roots can't damage the floor.
 and there is a huge pile of logs. The ones above Col will cut up when he can borrow a big chainsaw and the ones below he will cut  with his own chainsaw sometime. They are not in the way where they are so can lay for a year.
I really don't like seeing big trees cut down but sometimes it makes sense and of course we've planted lots of trees to replace them at the bottom of the meadow where they can do no harm.

The young couple will be back in a couple of weeks to do something to the Ash trees overhanging the garden behind the house, and SHOCK next door neighbours have offered to go halves on the cost of one tree which is in the boundary hedge close to their house.

Thank you for all the comments and reminiscences on the Guy Fawkes post. I watched the first of the 3 part drama -informative but pretty gruesome.

Back Tomorrow
Sue






Back Soon
Sue

12 comments:

  1. We had a rather large Twisted Willow in our garden for many years, we had it cut down about ten years ago. It was a shame, but, it had to be done as it was taking up most of the garden.

    Julie xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 years for willow before burning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky you, all those logs! Yes, there were certainly rather gruesome punishments back then weren’t there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know about the spiked board with weights on top - Horrible!

      Delete
  4. The drama was too gruesome for me, so I made marmalade from your lemon and grapefruit recipe. Which has set and is a wonderful colour, I used Ruby g.fruit segments, thankyou. Those logs will provide a lovely home for different wildlife until you come to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hadn't even thought of Ruby grapefruit, thank you for that idea

      Delete
  5. One of the houses we had here in Devon before our move to Wales had a lot of trees. We had to have about five or six cut down as a couple were spreading their roots towards the house and a few were getting too big by next door's fence.
    The one I wept over was a beautiful huge conifer at the side of the house. We had to wait for nesting to be over before the tree surgeon would cut it down. It was a sad day.

    Joan (Devon)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband would rather cut off his own arm than pay for somebody to cut down trees! Consequently I don't tend to look when he is climbing up trees with a chainsaw. We have some more to take down, already about 4 and lots of branches were dispensed with in the early summer. We have a lot over my small veg patch which prevented the sun getting to things so they will be coming down soon and as they are on the road side the overhanging ones will come down too. It's a very satisfying job with the added bonus of lots of logs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo of the trees in the mist.

    We are currently watching Vikings. It's pretty brutal and gruesome and I am spending a lot of time watching through my fingers or from behind a cushion...lol.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  8. The photos remind me of those spot the difference games in comics! I am always sad to take a tree out - a lot of ours came down in the gales then we have had to take some out because of the power lines - one was a beautiful Ash but in the wrong place. I haven't even watched Guy Fawkes I know it will be too gory and tense for me - being a right old wimp!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your site and content. thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts. Thanks
    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed Gunpowder albeit gruesome in places. I wish I had a log burner, if our plans for the following year don't come to fruition then I will pay for one.

    ReplyDelete