Tuesday 12 December 2017

December 12th and The 5p Money Box

Every year I  avoid spending 5p pieces and take them out from my purse.......where they are usually stuck in the corners......... and pop them in a tin, then before Christmas I open the money box and use the money for a treat of some sort. If there are more than a couple of 10p's in my purse at the time- I add them to the tin too.
This year the total was £10.35 in 5p's and £3.80 in 10ps. The 35p went back in the tin for next year  and £10 x 5ps into 2 bags for changing at the bank. I shall have to collect some more 10p's to make them up to £5 probably in the new year as banks prefer things in proper amount in bags. When I'm tipping my purse out to find the 5p's I usually have lots of 1p and 2p pieces weighing it down, so some get put in another tin in the drawer. Found I had enough of each to fill the £1 bank bags.

Now I shall go on a minor spree to spend my £12 - something edible perhaps.

Thank you to everyone for comments and hello and welcome to several new followers.



Back Tomorrow
Sue




17 comments:

  1. Such a great way to save a bit more!
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do add up don't they ... those annoying little tiddlers.

    We had £10 worth of 5p in our sealed pot too 😊

    ReplyDelete
  3. It soon adds up. Enjoy your treat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how much change you can fit in a tin. We have one for twenty pences which we emptied some weeks ago...£185.....I couldn't believe it. Then we have a tin for the girls 10p's, 5p's, 2p's and 1p's which was full....£40 to share between them and that is the second time it's been emptied this year so it's well worth doing.
    Hope you find something nice to treat yourself to.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I am using contactless it is spelling the end of change.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do that with 10ps and anything smaller but i save mine for parking fees when we are on holiday x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy your little treat Sue you certainly deserve it; love to you and Col xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I put all my loose change into a yellow pot pig I have had for years. It is surprising how quickly it mounts up isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a couple bottles of wine or a box of luxury chocolates, a book or two, hmmmm ~ what to buy? What to buy?
    I know one thing, I've decided to put £2.00 away each week to defray my next year's postage bill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I save 5p, 1p and 2p's - too fiddly for my liking! Can you remember the half-pence coins - so tiny!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How interesting....I had no idea that so many of us save in these painless little ways. We have a bronze and 5p pot and I also have a 20p pot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. well I think that's the perfect thing to do, use the loot to treat yourself to something nice. I'm all for that!

    Sorry I beat you to the RT! Had to do it when I found it, Bill had taken it away to mark up all the stuff he wants to watch! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoy choosing something as a treat Sue. We won £20 in the prize draw at the allotment on Saturday, so I think it will be spent on lunch out as we really don't need 'stuff'.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Treats are essential. If we leave ourselves in nurted we have nothing to give others. Took me a long time to learn. You go for it, girl and enjoy every minute of your treat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really enjoy your blog. Another one I enjoy is the Frugal Queen but I can't find her. Do you know where her blog has gone?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Isn't it amazing how the tiniest amounts add up. You did very well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a good idea. Does your bank accept loose coin? We always have to get coin rolls and fill them and turn them in. (when I was a banker we had to open and count customer rolls and credit or debit their account for overage/shortage)
    My mom used to save all her nickels and dimes and then donate them to Women's Relief at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete