Thursday 18 January 2018

The Mystery Box + Yesterdays Happenings

It's almost a year since I last ordered from Approved Food, I look but rarely see anything that's a good bargain and they do sell an awful lot of food that belongs in the JUNK section of the accounts. Then last week they had cheap flour, plain and self-raising plus brown sugar and kitchen roll which we use for tissues. I happened to pop in a Mars selection box for 50p too - took me right back to childhood Christmases - there was always a selection box of chocolate from someone.
Also splashed out £2 of one of their Mystery Boxes. Last time I got one - many years ago - it was full of weird things that I wouldn't use and I ended up giving most of them to youngest daughter.This time £2 bought these.
10 things so 20p each and all use-able, some slightly junk, not things I would usually buy - except the tomato sauce and the pasta (although I buy Basics brand rather than posh Napolina) but edible and ringing the changes occasionally is good.
I did make one mistake costing 59p - got this, didn't realise pinhead oatmeal was so different to porridge oats. I rarely eat porridge, for some reason it never seems very filling to me and hadn't had any in the cupboard for a while, but thought it was time to try it again.
Anyway I have this now so will give it a go, it just needs soaking over night in water. I'm not planning to follow one recipe I found for pinhead oatmeal porridge which involved adding double cream!

Counting everything in the whole order individually there were 78 different things. Delivery is £5.99, that means *brain whirring* 7 and a bit pence to add to each thing. Did I save money - yes a little. Never as much as it looks at first glance, and not as much as the £46.55p quoted on the receipt, but at least I don't have to buy any flour, brown sugar or kitchen roll for the rest of the year.

Just remembered a post I did all about Approved Foods Waaaaaay back in 2013 when my first blog was a baby which is HERE if you are curious.


Thank you for all the comments on Wassailing and Hello and welcome to a new follower.

I went over to visit small grand-daughter yesterday, in 12 days she has gone from one or two steps to walking really well. Got over to Leiston by a roundabout route after finding a big yellow sign......."Framlingham Town Centre Roads Closed". When a B road is closed the signed Alternative Route has to be by roads not smaller than a B road so I should have gone miles out of the way to get round, luckily I nipped through some small back roads so didn't have to go so far. There are many road repairs going on in Suffolk at the moment  that it's getting really common to suddenly find a road closed. Very glad to have lived here long enough to know my way round without a map (or a sat nav) Must be awful for newcomers.

Wassailing was done...........As dusk fell I went outside and draped bread soaked in apple juice on the apple trees and poured a bit on the roots, chanted the rhyme and patted the trees to give them some encouragement. Didn't bother with the air rifle or banging pots and pans! Might have frightened the neighbours.

What a chilly day it was yesterday and forecasting even stronger winds but thankfully no snow this far south and east. The squirrel proof feeder did NOT arrive .....  Col's fault!  for ordering cheap stuff off ebay .....left it to him to sort out on the lap top in hospital.

TODAY ...Editing in to say.....................Oh my goodness, how windy is this weather! I got up at 6am when the electric kept going on and off. Can  I can hear tiles sliding around? I hope not. Power still on at the moment  think  I'll wait a while to hear if any roads are blocked by trees or overturned trucks before going anywhere. This is when Local Radio really comes into it's own as people ring in with information.

Hope you are all safe

Back Soon
Sue


40 comments:

  1. Pinhead oatmeal is wonderful for parkin. Loads of recipes on the net.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your older post about Approved Foods. It very much reflects my own feelings about it, that there isn't much saving unless you get a load of junk stuff. I did well once: I got multiple bags of Hovis granary flour just as Hovis stopped making it, at 40p a bag and I put all but one bag in the freezer. I have just finished the last bag which made me feel sad as I did love the bread it made.
    It's windy here too and cold but the house is pretty protected so I think things are OK. Take care and stay safe.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've got cheap baking powder on there now which I need - but nothing else so no more orders

      Delete
  3. Wind is howling here in Hadleigh too. My husband set off at 6.30am, hoping to make it into Ipswich before the traffic is completely snarled up due to the Orwell Bridge being closed. Hope your roof survives unscathed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said the bridge was only closed for a couple of hours, Must have been pretty hairy driving over it with a high lorry before it was closed

      Delete
  4. I agree about the approved food site...We have a cupboard still full of things that seemed such bargains but weren't what we'd normally eat...still one day they will go...either in us or the bin! The wind was really bad here around ten o'clock last evening...glad we still have a roof...albeit one that needs replacing. I do hope your fruit trees appreciated being wassailed! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No more AF ordering for me for a long time I think

      Delete
  5. We have six inches of snow here in North Yorkshire Sue but thankfully no wind at all at the moment. I shall cancel my hair appointment and stay indoors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goodness a fair bit of snow, Staying safe is best. Hope the snow goes soon so you can get out

      Delete
  6. Approved Foods are only worth ordering from if like you did, you find flours or something you actually use in amongst all their pages of junk foods ... which there seems even more of these days. My best buys were large bags of scone mix, and once I mistakenly ordered a 12.5 kg bag of chocolate sponge mix, thinking it was 2.5kg. We made quite a bit of money selling chocolate muffins at car boot sales 😊

    No damage here that we've spotted yet, but there were some alarming big bangs in the night so something's fell over somewhere. Polytunnel is intact though ... phew..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Half a sack of of choc sponge mix must have been quite a shock!

      Delete
    2. I once ordered a 3kg bag of veggie jelly crystals!! We ate jelly for about a year!! :-)

      Delete
  7. We accidentally picked up pinhead oatmeal instead of oat bran. May use it for porridge ot use instead of pearl barley in things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We had a wild old night too. I got up for the loo around 2 a.m. and it was hurtling past the house like an express train. Quiet this morning but the river will be right up.

    I'm glad I'm not the only one who looks at the Approved Foods lists and can see nothing I would normally buy or use. I stocked up on all flours before Christmas so will have plenty to take me through. We are well stocked generally which is just as well as new car is imminent . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They seem to have some very weird and expensive things nowadays, not so good as 5 years ago

      Delete
  9. The wind was really bad here , The only good thing about wearing a cpap mask is it blocks some of the sound from outside so it wasn't until i got up i realised just how bad it was, we have a very, very, heavy obelisk in the garden and it was on the ground with the ball on the top smashed so it had to be really strong xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame about your obelisk. Nothing serious here

      Delete
  10. A really rough night here in the Midlands - in fact I got up at 4am as I couldn't stand the noise any longer. We've lost part of a fence panel and I was pleased to see the little hedgehog igloo was still in place - which as far as I know contains a hibernating one! Will tip some more bark chips on it later just to keep it a bit more sheltered. Of all the different weather, it's the gales I hate the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wind was howling so loudly I got up early too.

      Delete
  11. Sorry the wind is giving you a rough time, here we may be over most of the really cold winter. Well at least I am hoping that is the case.

    Stay safe.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  12. If you don't like the pin head oatmeal the birds love it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Not a fan of Approved Foods really. I ordered once but wasn't over impressed.
    Very windy here too last night. Lots of loud bangs going on but I can't see any damage anywhere.
    Hugs-x-

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No serious damage here, just a small dead tree down from our boundary over next doors drive, they've cleared it away to get their car out

      Delete
  14. We are using pin head oatmeal at the moment for our breakfast porridge. Soaking over night in some almond milk, but any milk will do. Cooks up a treat, adding grated apple or pear, a few walnuts, totally yum.

    Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. House your house renovation going?
      Hope you get back to blogging sometime

      Delete
  15. I prefer to find the occasional food bargain in Aldi. In the last year I have had bags of Matthews Cotswold flour which I have never seen anywhere else. I will stick to Unicorn our local food cooperative shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How wonderful to have such a thing - one of the advantages of living in a city I guess. Apart from the supermarkets all we have in the countryside is Farm Shops which are always ridiculously expensive

      Delete
  16. Toast the oatmeal in some fat (butter or olive oil in our case) and stir through new potatoes. Add some syboes/spring onions/scallions. Yum. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cranachan a Scottish yummy pud easy to make toasted pinhead oatmeal on top out of this world.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I watch prices too especially when ordering online. Is it worth a bit more so I can get free shipping? It is if I use the last product I add. I'm a watcher of prices even at stores that I think may have lower prices. Not always lower. Our weather is rainy here I Oregon. The coast which is 1.5 hr drive from here is full of high wind and rain. So we'll be getting stormy too. Hunkered down at home not work due to feeling blah today. Crud colds and flu all around. Stay warm and well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am an American and the differences in our English vs British English are interesting to me. As a result of just this post I looked up pinhead oats (we call them steel cut), Parkin, golden syrup, black treacle and Approved Foods. There is a small shop near me that sells British foods, I have gotten vanilla sugar and Bird's Instant Custard there. I would have to pay them a visit if I decide to make Parkin, for the syrup and treacle. We soak the steel cut oats over night in water, then in the morning, mix in regular oatmeal and cook. Gives the oatmeal a better texture, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindi - you can make your own Vanilla sugar by using ordinary sugar and putting it in a glass jar with a couple of vanilla pods. These will last forever and you can just keep topping up. Should save money too.

      Delete
  20. bread made with pinhead oats is nice. you can also make crusts on meat and fish with it

    ReplyDelete
  21. I hope you didn't lose power after the recent storm as the news showed that Suffolk was quite badly effected.

    How wonderful your little grand-daughter is now mobile - her mum will be doing some mileage now!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The electric flickered on and off but stayed on - surprisingly. It was off about a mile away so a lady who came to the library van said.

      Delete
  22. I heard it was really windy and they closed the Orwell Bridge again leaving a mess in Ipswich. Always seems to be that way. Regarding road works - good thing you moved. Mum said it's been a mess on the Norwich Road as they are doing road works again!

    ReplyDelete