I wonder how much rain we'll get in August? There's not much in the forecast for the first 12 days - maybe just one thunderstorm if we are lucky.......... Seems so odd to say that.
Usually it's a mixed month but this first old bit of folklore is so wrong this year as harvest has more-or-less finished. The combines, balers and grain carts were backwards and forwards "making speedy carriage" past the house through much of July.
Dry August and warm
Doth harvest no harm.
If weather be fair and tidy thy grain,
Make speedy carriage, for fear of rain.
Grain lorries from farms further afield also go through the village (although they aren't supposed to) to the huge grain drying and storage facility nearby. Flour prices are sure to rise again...........
"During the extreme European heatwaves and drought of harvest 2026, intense heat and parched soils have caused cereal crops to dry down rapidly—sometimes below 10% to 12% moisture. This creates severe financial loss from reduced crop weight, high physical brittleness, and commercial rejection by mills"
Looking back at previous August posts, I found all this post about one of my books from 2021....... five years ago and long forgotten!
The lady who painted all the wildflowers did it for a friend who wanted to learn the names of the flowers she saw. She started in 1943 and carried on painting even after her friend died, until 1999, traveling widely and painting wherever she went. She then donated 150 pages of paintings to the Kendal Natural History Society who published the collection as this small book in 2016 - such lovely paintings.
She was a Modern Languages Graduate before WWII when women studied for degrees but were not awarded them but was finally awarded her degree 40 years later. She taught Modern Languages in Kendal and died in 2009 aged 94.
Looking through the book there are so many flowers that I've never heard of. On the August pages above I puzzled over the Ploughman's Spikenard - such an unusual name and something I'd not come across. It should be around everywhere except the North of England and Scotland but only grows on chalky soil. So maybe not growing much in our Suffolk clay soils.
Then I looked up the word "Spikenard" and it's also called Nard, an amber coloured essential oil from a flowering plant of the honeysuckle family from the Himalayas.
It's even mentioned in the Bible...............
And being in Bethany, in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard, very precious; and she broke the box and poured it on his head. Mark 14:3
There's lots more about this plant on the Wiki pages here.
Now, how about this for a weird coincidence...........I wrote this post several days ago, copying over the piece about Spikenard from 2021, a word I'd never come across before or since. Then on the evening of writing the post I'm reading the British Library Crime Classic book "Puzzles of The Parish" a collection of short crime stories featuring members of the clergy. One of the tales in the book is a Cadfael (the medieval Monk) short story by Ellis Peters, and it says........
Brother Jerome was scandalised "Has he not given them to Our Lady herself?" he lamented indignantly. "Beware of the sin of those apostles who cried out with the same complaint against the woman who brought the pot of Spikenard.............
Coincidences seem to happen more often than you'd think!
The August weather forecast looks to be a mixed bag here. The gardens will be glad of some rain. X
ReplyDeleteNothing forecast here - even the chance of a thunderstorm has gone
DeleteA lovely book and story behind it too. I don't think I've seen Ploughman's Spikenard but it is probably easily overlooked, unlike say Chicory or Honeysuckle which are specific in colour or habitat. It's clearly Plant of the Month!
ReplyDeleteI doubt that plant is very noticeable and not around here on clay soils
DeleteWhat a beautiful book and thanks for introducing Spikenard-I had never heard the word before. Catriona
ReplyDeleteMe neither until 2021 and then twice in one day last week
DeleteI thoroughly agree about the wild flower book, it’s fascinating - I bought a copy back in 2021 on your recommendation! I also read the Cadfael books.
ReplyDeleteNow I've remembered the book I should use pictures from it more often on the blog
DeleteSpikenhard is mentioned in Grigson as a name used in Somerset for Centaury. Though as a word it would seem to suggest a prod for the cattle. That looks a lovely book by the way, I have lost my Margery Blamey book of wild plants, though it must be somewhere in the house.
ReplyDeleteHope you find the missing book. I had one arranged by colours but must have given it away in one of the moves
DeleteAccording to my phone we are supposed to get some rain every day from tomorrow for the next 5 days. I do hope so as my poor lawn is like straw. Xx
ReplyDeletePossible shower on the 13th is all that is forecast here - even the thunderstorm has gone
DeleteThe dry weather is helping our extension work, but the associated heat is something else!.
ReplyDeleteIt's another hot one here in Mid Suffolk today and even hotter tomorrow - oh dear
DeleteIt’ll be a shock when it does start raining again……..drying washing indoors, mud everywhere , slugs and snails emerging etc.
ReplyDeleteThat’s a beautiful book.
Alison in Devon x
Flash flooding after so much dry weather is another problem, although not in the next two weeks here
DeleteSuch a lovely book.
ReplyDeleteIt is and it sits on the shelves forgotten!
DeleteWhat a lovely book, definitely keep it handy. I think we been promised some 'light showers' in the next few days, we need a lot more than that.
ReplyDeleteI've made a note for September!
DeleteCoincidences arise more and more, I find.
ReplyDeleteIt was very odd, two mentions on one day after a 5 year gap
DeleteAccording to the Met Office, we have a 40 to 60% chance of rain tonight and tomorrow. I have everything crossed that they are right. I've never seen the garden so dry. We put a bucket in the shower each night to catch the water as it comes to temperature. A different chosen plant gets that each day. It's keeping them alive - just. I haven't dared buy any plants this year.
ReplyDeleteThat is a lovely book, I bought a copy when you first mentioned it and occasionally remember to look at it.
Goodness - two people buying it - I should have commission!
DeleteNot a spot of rain forecast here until 13th
Lack of rain and drought conditions are hard on our gardens.
ReplyDeleteAugust is typically hot and dry for us. Currently it is raining and looks like it will shower all day. My stream is still dry. It will likely take many days of rain to see the stream flow again.
The book makes a lovely encyclopedia for British wildflowers. The illustrations are outstanding.
We need some gentle rain before storms to dampen the ground or any heavy rain will just run off and be a problem.
DeleteThe author was a talented artist for sure.
That is a book of lovely flower paintings and interesting story of the painter. I love the TV series Clarkson Farm, I learn how difficult it is for over regulated farmers in Britain. Plus dealing with the weather, rain and lack of rain, and all the farm animals he is raising. At the end of the most recent episode he says "Lisa, we have a pet cow". He saved Poppy the cow.
ReplyDeleteClarksons farm isn't typical of farming in England - he is incredibly wealthy
Delete