Forgot this photo was on the phone - only 19 days late!
On Monday when the post about Being Prepared was published I cooked up some beetroot that I'd collected from BiL's garden but a few hours later when I put the hob (electric induction) on for my meal it flashed up an error sign. I thought I was going to have to get the picnic stove in from the garage - even without power cut and apocalypse situation!
The hob instructions, once I'd found them, suggested turning the hob off and on - but the switch is behind drawers under the hob which involved a torch and a broom handle to reach it. Thankfully it worked and I was able to cook my meal. Which proves having a torch handy and gas picnic stove available might be a Good Idea in more than just a weather, cyber attack or zombie apocalypse crisis!
BTW, I'm still waiting for a commenter to explain why Monday's post was irresponsible advice!
AND can't imagine why a blogger thinks it's OK to copy a comment off my blog and dismiss it with hilarity on hers - bit rude I thought, then someone told me I was rude for saying it was rude to pinch a comment without attributing it! All jolly good fun!.
Anyway, on the sensible, non stirring-up-mischief side of life, what else has happened this week...... I've been doing some cross stitch, starting the Christmas tree decorations I mentioned and had a good week on the NYT wordle website as I got a 20 badge for getting the Spangram first on Strands and got wordle in two tries on Thursday. Didn't manage a Connections puzzle all week - hardly ever get a win on that game. And of course I got started on one of the library books.
Strictly Come Dancing starts tonight - I've not looked to see who's on it this year and it's all change for presenters so will be interesting to see how that goes. This week I've been watching the updated version of Magnum PI - the thing Tom Selleck did years ago with big moustache and very short shorts. The Chelsea Detective is back for a 4th series on U and Drama and Blue Lights back on the BBC at the end of the month.

A jumble sale, that's a blast from the past. Hope you find some goodies.
ReplyDeleteThere are some very strange people on the internet, I am always amazed at some of the comments and attitudes. Back in the day my mother used to say of difficult people, if you're not married to them and they're not police officers ignore them!
Penny
Usually I delete or ignore but sometimes I just jump right in and join in the fun!!
DeleteThanks for the heads-up about the Chelsea Detective. I did enjoy the previous series. So glad you got the hob working. The switch-off-&-on is always my first action. 99% of the time it works.
ReplyDeleteI had to find the booklet to see what the error meant, then had to find the switch - the one for extractor and oven are in sensible places but behind drawers under the hob is very odd.
DeleteWe call the 'turn it off then turn it back on again' routine the 'Daddy Pig Method' in our house, after the character in Peppa Pig who fixes everything that way. It is amazing how many things it actually works on and it is often our computer expert's first line of attack.
ReplyDeleteYes, thank goodness on/off usually works on laptop and TV. Never had a hob like this before so had to find out what the error message was first.
DeleteA jumble sale! I helped organise one to fund raise for playgroup nearly 40 years ago... never again!
ReplyDeleteI decided not to bother with Jumble Sale - I really need nothing - even cheap bargains!
DeleteYes-we use the off and on again method for most things including the iPads! Very windy here this morning so the garden is filling rapidly with the leaves from the school trees.Sudden heavy downpours make it a stay at home kind of day. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThe on/off thing - strange but true ๐
ReplyDeleteI’m glad you called out the occasional rude comment, it’s your blog, how very dare they ๐
I’m looking forward to Strictly, I do think they could take this opportunity to tone down the mild hysteria that sometimes creeps in but I expect that’s too much to ask.
Alison in Devon x
Some people can be so rude. I'm glad you called her out. She can leave if she chooses and that would do us all a favor. Smile.
ReplyDeleteMy stove top shuts down occasionally too. I have to keep my finger on the "on" front panel button for a minute or two and it magically resets.
Cutting back the hedge will be a big job for you and your BIL. It will be good to get it done.
Susan
I had no idea what a hob was. When I look it up, it is described as a shelf near a fireplace for keeping food warm? Is that what you use?
ReplyDeleteA hob in the UK is the flat top surface of a cooker or a separate unit built into a kitchen counter that holds pans for cooking, known as a stovetop or cooktop
DeleteI'm smiling reading you had to use a broom handle to reach it as my husband has just bought a long handled contraption to turn off the water, the tap of course is right under the sink.. why you may ask?? Because with all the talk of being prepared he worried , if we had to turn off our water, he wouldn't be able to reach the tap.. I'm not sure why he thinks that is necessary in an apocalypse but anything to humour him... but I wonder where he's put the thingamegig??
ReplyDeleteGlad you managed to sort out the switch for your cooker and get it working again.
ReplyDeleteYes, I saw the shennanigans with your pilfered post, and then someone telling YOU off!!!
Your mention of a long handled broom has reminded me that Keith's mum's small head cobweb brush is in the stables somewhere and might just get rid of my cobwebs in the stair ceiling area.
I can't resist a jumble sale - they never seem to hold them these days, and one I did find in Llandod was just peoplewith individual tables selling their tat . . . Not the same at all.