This months photo of the tree that is on the playing field beside the village hall where we have our Keep Moving group and I was surprised to see how much the, thankfully harmless, disease that affects Horse Chestnut trees had increased since last month.. I think the rain spreads the spores and of course Autumn is progressing too so all leaves are gradually turning.
The conkers are hanging on
Horse Chestnut trees were first raised in Northern Europe by a botanist Charles de l'Ecluse from seeds brought from Constantinople in 1576.



Where would we be without our trees, so peaceful and calm to walk in the woods. The last photo reminded me instantly of Sesame Streets Grouch monster poking his head out of the dustbin!
ReplyDeleteMy mother swore by chestnuts for deterring spiders and every autumn we would put out lots of fresh one on her windowsills. Happy days.
ReplyDeletePenny
I still use Conner’s as an anti spider deterrent!
DeleteMiriam
We found a surprise shiny brown conker in the middle of the garden. How did it get there? Most likely thrown over the fence by the 6-year-old next door, so we threw it back!
ReplyDeleteLovely to read about this tree. Seems there are very few conkers or acorns this year.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
I never heard of horse chestnuts deterring spiders, must do some research. We find them on walks near our place in Maine and they are so fascinating.
ReplyDeleteCeci
I too am flummoxed by how you deter spiders with those conkers.
ReplyDeleteYou sure know a lot about trees, Sue. I didn't know about the spider deterrent.
ReplyDeleteHopefully the chestnut tree will recover.
ReplyDeleteChestnuts to discourage spiders is new to me.
As our weather cools the insects look for cover inside a warm house. I'll definitely look for a few chestnuts.
Susan
Alan is itching to go out collecting conkers for our windowsills and doorways, but they are not dropping just yet. I found a bag of last years bounty in my freezer so they are currently in situ, when we get some new ones they can go straight to the new place. :-)
ReplyDeleteWe’re just waiting for the ones at the school to drop so that we can have some spider deterrent. The tree in the photo looks nearly ready and it’s amazing after the long dry spell. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThe conkers were early here this year, the trees around us are just about empty of them now. I collected a lot which were still encased to bring home so that Jack could open them up, he was so excited taking the conkers out of them.
ReplyDelete