▼

28 September 2026

The September Food Shopping Photos...............

 ...............for food shopping photo fans and  to fill a blog post again.

First shop on the 2nd was a quick pop into Aldi for a few basics.

Mini pears were on the 'Special 6' offers at 69p; 2 peanuts £1.18; 400g extra strong cheddar £2.45; penne pasta 41p; 4 pints milk £1.65; 2 ground coffee  @ £2.59 = £5.18 (still no decaf); 2 x dried prunes  @ £2.79 =£5.58.
Total £17.14 + half a dozen eggs from a car boot sale £1.50. = £18.64

I'm not a fan of Lidl, they are the wrong side of the town and always seem in a muddle, with long check-out queues but I tried them for decaf ground coffee - they had plenty, same price as Aldi who haven't had decaf for weeks, so I got 2 = £5.18. I noticed they also had plenty of wholemeal bread flour and the wholegrain crackers that Aldi haven't had for weeks. So now I know what to do about Aldi's missing items!......Turn left at the traffic lights instead of right and go home the other way via Lidl.


£18.64 + £5.18 = £23.82

Then a big '4 supermarket shopping trip'.
I've never been to all 4 supermarkets in Stowmarket on the same day before but  decided to do just that three weeks ago, due to Lidl having nectarines on the special 6 fruit/veg offers and Tesco being the only supermarket that had the canned meat I was putting in the cupboard for the zombie apocalypse - or just bad weather! 
It took an age - won't do that again.



£37.75 spent


£18.64 + £5.18 + £37.75 = £61.57

 I forgot to take photo of a quick pop into Tesco when I was over by the coast, when I got a few things to see me through the week around getting the car tyres fixed. Spent £8.29.

£61.57 + £8.29 = £69.86

Then finally after tyres were sorted I had to go into town so went to Aldi (still lots of gaps including   de-caff coffee, tins of sardines, tins of salmon, multi grain biscuits, mini cheese bake biscuits) and Asda(to spend £5 to get £1 parking fee back) which together turned into a big spend because I didn't want to go shopping again....ever! .................well not really ever, but sometimes it feels that would be a good idea.



2 bags of pears, head of calabrese, mini cucs, tin mackerel fillets, 6 eggs, extra mature cheddar, feta, mayo, bacon bits, 4 pints milk, peanuts and cashews, cheese and onion rolls, 'hola' hoops and tortilla chip snacks, bread rolls, naan breads, tin fruit salad. 

Totaled £27.69. Making Septembers food spending £97.55.  

Although I must have missed something because in my accounts book food spending added up to just over £111. Oh well, still not too bad.

19 comments:

  1. There has been a noticeable lack of tinned fish, particularly salmon and sardines, for a few months now. I don’t know if it’s a pause in supply or if people are stocking up.
    Anna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi had plenty of sardines in tomato sauce but I'm not a fan .

      Delete
  2. Four supermarkets in one day, you're braver than I am for sure. Two is my absolute maximum, just for my sanity's sake. Our Aldi had red salmon missing for about six months, then for one week and one week only it was back. Now there's not even a gap on the shelves were it should go! 🫤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 4 in one morning was a silly idea, felt like I'd been out for hours!

      Delete
  3. It sounds like a full days work, going to 4 supermarkets! I have noticed how often things are out of stock in all the supermarkets. Tinned salmon seems to be missing a lot. Aldi now have a full shelf of tuna but no salmon at all.
    Life is to be lived not full of shopping! Carole R

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand perfectly about big shops. Heck when I do one it takes at least two hours plus the time to scan everything for Neilson's and put them all away once at home. By the end my back and legs are killing me.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never used to mind food shopping but seems like hard work now, but I don't like online shopping so will have to carry on

      Delete
  5. Lidl ( and Waitrose and Co op ) is my closest store, feels like Hobson’s choice ( is that still a thing ? )
    Tinned fish and meat are finding their way into cupboards of doom I suppose, including ours 😀
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That isn't much choice at all. A Waitrose opened where we used to live near the coast but I always felt out of place in there!

      Delete
  6. I just use one grocery store and don't bother shopping around. I feel the cost of gas for driving all around to other stores would probably cancel out the savings. Takes me less time, too. My totals are higher than yours but then I'm feeding my son who lives with me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once in town all the supermarkets are within a mile or so but it still took too long

      Delete
  7. Tesco, Morrisons and Lidl here. Like you, I'm not keen on Lidl either, for the same reasons as you. I much prefer Aldi, there are 2 down here, each about 45 mins drive from us (in opposite directions), so we don't go very often. Especially not now with the price of fuel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aldi have installed some self service checkouts like Aldi but at Lidl you have to scan your till receipt to be let out!

      Delete
  8. Now I prefer Lidl to Aldi (though on occasion their fruit and veg is a bit elderly looking). That didn't bother me when we lived near Carmarthen as I got all my fruit and veg from Chris Thomas, the greengrocer warehouse on the edge of Carmarthen. Oh how I miss his £1 boxes of use-it-up-quick fruit . . . I love the fresh granary type bread they sell, and have a soft spot for their jam donuts on occasion too!! I have Tesco and Aldi in Llandod. Co-op and an expensive garage-linked Asda in town. Co-op is v. expensive. I have spent lots extra in recent weeks to get a better storecupboard, and my freezer is full. I have been given lots of apples too and have my small orchard with plenty of eating apples which must surely be ready to pick soon?! I try and stock up on my Twining Earl Grey teabags when they are on offer. I envy the cheapness of your weekly shopping. I can only do that once a month perhaps, if no meat and no cat food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expect I would get used to Lidl if I used them more often. Tesco in Stowmarket isn't huge and always seems busy. I'm glad really that none of the supermarkets are giant ones like those in Ipswich - I get lost in them

      Delete
  9. Your costs for the month of September are not that bad. I would find going to 4 stores a lot for one day. Typically, I go to 2.
    Grocery store prices are still rising in the US. We are told due to the cost of diesel fuel; trucking costs have increased which passes on to the consumer.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Red salmon...mmm. So much nicer than pink. But about 10 times more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a shop. Our prices are ridiculous, so expensive - I always moan about them lol. I wish there were better sales.

    ReplyDelete