12 August 2026

The Sun, The Running and The Courgettes

Yes, lots of people guessed right yesterday. It's a cane topper.  I would have loved to have bought a dozen but that would have been rather extravagant............... so just one for a memento and I'll carry on using flower pots on the top of all the other canes.

******************************

There's a partial eclipse of the sun this evening - I no longer have Col's welding mask that we would have used in the almost total eclipse of 1999 except that the cloud over coast meant we didn't see it properly. It was in the summer holidays so YD was at home and we went outside as the day went grey and felt very weird. I think there have been other partial eclipses since then - can't remember them though. I know I won't be around to see the next total eclipse as it's in 2090!

*************************

What about the guys in the European Championships 100 metres last night -  Gold and Silver medals - how good is that. I've been enjoying watching morning and evening sessions on the BBC (unlike the Commonwealth Games a couple of weeks ago which were only on paid-for TV channels except for an hour each evening)

*************************


As usual at this time of year I've been eating courgettes, as many as I can, every other day - there are so many it's like free food.

No apologies for repeating three of the recipes I use. I think I include them every year.

COURGETTE FRITTERS

For one person I use 1 courgette, grated. Mixed with  a tablespoon of flour, a small egg, small pinch salt and good amount of black pepper and half a teaspoon of curry powder (or not)

Drop spoons full into hot oil in frying pan and press down, turn over when browned and press down again. Drain on kitchen paper. For a different version of most fritter type recipes some grated cheese can be added but I don't and serve up mine with a couple of rashers of bacon and some tomato ketchup.

CRUMBLE TOPPED COURGETTES



COURGETTE and PESTO PASTA SAUCE

Start cooking pasta then heat a little oil in a pan on low heat then add grated courgette, cook until soft. Stir in a spoonful of pesto and then the cooked drained pasta and serve up with grated cheddar and parmesan. (I just use cheddar)

And Finally..................

A while ago Steve at Shadows and Light Blog was mentioning itchy arms after working in the garden. Courgettes leaves are one of those things that really irritate my skin along with the leaves of  beans, cucumber, goosegrass and many other things. I have to hurry in and wash arms quickly.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment