Thank you to everyone for comments yesterday, as several readers said ....the things in that list are needed in many areas of the US if evacuation from home was necessary - my point was that it said "an evacuation bag" and it was a very long list to fit in a bag!
Anyway.............
Another fill-a-blog-post-with-shopping-photo................
Some from Asda but most from Aldi- a more than usual spend as a couple of things were over £3 each. I can remember when it was just meat that would have been more then £3 for one item!
Top to bottom - Frozen things - 2 x Sweet potato fries £4; vegetable spring rolls £1.72; Tempura prawns £2.38; 2 Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers £2; Ditto 2 Pies £2.50; Rapeseed oil; £3.00; 500g pack value bacon bits £1; Allinsons White Bread flour £3.40; 2 Peanuts £1.18; Yeast 65p; Willow spread £1.07; 6 Eggs £1.49; Extra Mature Cheddar £2.45; This weeks something different treat 6 fruit Yogurts 95p; Heinz tomato ketchup £3.99; Cheese thins biscuits 95p; Pack 7 Cheese minis 99p; 4 Wholemeal baps 75p; 6 mini apples 99p; 1Kg Nectarines £2.35.
Big Spend of £37.81
Running Total for August £37.81 + £24.79 = £ 62.60
I use Allinsons bread flour mixed with the Aldi cheaper bread flour for a better rise in my bread-maker. The frozen Chinese bits have gone up in price a lot. I eat just a few with stir fried veg but will have to use less. They are still cheaper than having a take-away. I've not tried the Linda McCartney pies before so will see what they are like. The bacon bits are divided into 5 portions before freezing. Hopefully these are the last eating apples I'll need to buy for a while as my own should be edible at the end of the month (I tried one the other day - they are definitely Not ready yet!)
After the children had all left home Col and I had a discussion about tomato sauce. I said that because we didn't use much we might as well just have the cheapest of cheap. He said that because we didn't use much we might as well have the best. He won and I've bought Heinz ever since! Still don't use much and a huge bottle lasts me months....maybe even years!


The reason I buy tomato ketchup (Heinz) is the mash into my sardines for putting on toast. Yum and good for me. Btw, like seeing your shopping haul. Susan from France
ReplyDeleteThat's something I definitely don't use it for!
DeleteI'm with Col; I'd rather pay more, enjoy the flavour and use less!
ReplyDeleteThat's what I do
DeleteI added with Col-small treats because you are worth it! We’ve switched to Hellman’s tomato sauce which Norrie seems to like. I use a squirt when I am making a tomato sauce-it just seems to add something to the flavour. Catriona
ReplyDeleteThe Aldi low fat mayo isn't good but their normal one is OK - I didn't know Hellmans did other things
DeleteWe use a lot of tomato sauce. I buy the Heinz organic one and stock up when it's on offer. I use it for anything that would need tomato paste added and the bottle wash out at the end always goes into pasta sauce or a casserole. All good ingredients in it so I don't hesitate to get it; there's no way I'm going to be attempting making my own 🤣
ReplyDeleteI once owned a passata machine thingy - but it was useless so I've never made tom sauce
DeleteConfession - I have NEVER had tomato ketchup in my life. Tartare Sauce, yes Worcester Sauce, yes. Danny's step-daughter seems to have it with everything (something set in stone before he was on the scene).
ReplyDeleteMy dad had a wonderful saying, "Anything's good enough for Father!" Bless him, my mum was a lousy cook too . . . Her mother's wonderful cooking and baking skills skipped a generation. She made good fruit wines though.
How have you never had tom sauce?!
DeleteI have never met someone who has never had ketchup!
DeleteHaving travelled extensively in the usa over a number of years, we always packed an emergency case , we always included a folding shove; swiss type folding tool set and ther,al blankets . All very useful.
ReplyDeleteKathy
Sounds like a plan!
DeleteI tend to get most of my tomato sauce from the sachets that Alan picks up for his bacon butties when we are out, but for some reason never eats. They are a posh version and tasty enough to also be a pizza crust topper too.
ReplyDeleteA tip for the Linda McCartney pies, put your baking tray in the oven to heat up or the equivalent for any method of cooking you are using, as the bases seem to stay much soggier than the lovely crispy top. Mary Berry would be horrified at the soggy bottoms!!
Thank you for that tip - haven't tried one yet, still living on 99 variations for a courgette!
DeleteLol. You and me both sister!
DeleteI enjoy seeing your food shopping too, everything continues to creep up in price doesn’t it…….ketchup, brown sauce and mayonnaise we buy in Lidl, Aldi too far away for me, my mum and dad always bought branded when it came to things like that - Dad was particularly fond of ‘ Fruity ‘ sauce.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
That Allinsons flour was £2 before Covid and war!
DeleteI'm not a brown sauce fan at all - although I'd eat it if it was given me.
I think of tomato sauce and Heinz ketchup as two different things. Tomato sauce is used for pastas while Heinz ketchup is for hamburgers or hotdogs or French fries.
ReplyDeleteKetchup/Sauce - interchangeable. But Pasta tomato sauce is something completely different!
DeleteKetchup lasts me ages. Lily doesn't eat it, and I only have it occasionally when I make chips. X
ReplyDeleteI've been using more because I keep making Courgette fritters! and it goes very well with them
DeleteWe always buy Heinz Tomato ketchup, and I use it in place of puree. Thanks for the coffee recommendation. OH bought some to try and likes it, so thats a saving of almost £4, as he was buying Lavazza. Xx
ReplyDeleteOh that's a good saving - glad he likes it
DeleteWe buy Heinz ketchup too. It's funny that you call it "tomato sauce," which is what I would call what goes on spaghetti.
ReplyDeleteIt was tomato sauce when we were young long before pasta sauce was a thing!
DeleteYes, when I read your post about evacuation, I quickly thought the evacuation items listed would require a small truck and not a bag. Makes me laugh.
ReplyDeleteI also like Heinz Ketchup. I make my own tomato sauce using organic chopped boxed tomato and add herbs, onions and peppers. Adding beef and/or sausage to the sauce makes a nice meal over pasta.
Food costs are on the rise and in the US we have contaminated lettuce and now there is a problem with eggs. I'm not buying lettuce and am told to cook eggs to 160 degrees F. to eliminate the contamination.
I have never been a fan of tomato sauce either - my children knew that when I cooked tomato sauce was never on the menu - and they always felt deprived that we didn’t take them to McDonalds either
ReplyDeleteMiriam