At a recent Sunday car boot sale I picked up this book just to see what it was. Good Housekeeping was a magazine I sometimes bought back in the 1970s BC (Before Colin and Before Children)- in the days of newly-married and still earning. Looking inside I saw some lovely photos and several recipes.
Turned it over to read the blurb on the back and saw it was £24.99 when bought new and when the guy selling said £1, I thought it was worth buying for a better look.
Not sure I agree with that final sentence "Because everything is housekeeping - and housekeeping is everything"! Really?
I'll let you know if there's anything useful inside and if it was ever worth £24.99, but somehow I doubt it because there are dozens of secondhand copies for sale on Abebooks and Amazon. So maybe everyone who was given a copy for Christmas soon gave them away!


Books like everything else has risen in price, it's not a bad price for a larger book, not one I would purchase at full price.
ReplyDeleteThank goodness for libraries and car boot sales
DeleteHousekeeping is everything? Oh dear. I guess my life has been an abject failure then!
ReplyDeleteMe Too!
DeleteBargain for £1. Expensive at it's full price I would think. Hope there are some interesting things in it.
ReplyDeletePenny
I agree!
DeleteLots of glossy photos of homes that don't look like mine!
DeleteWhen I was first married, a GH subscription, and GH diary were always on my Christmas list. The diary had a useful household accounts section. But £25 seems excessive!
ReplyDelete£25 seems a lot of money to me - my diaries are usually about £3
DeleteI definitely don't think housekeeping is everything!! You got a good buy there and I can remember the GH diary as being worth having.
ReplyDeleteLovely kitchen photos in the book - they don't look like mine for sure
DeleteA book would have to be truly special to warrant me spending £25 on it, and anything telling me that 'housekeeping is everything' does not fit that bill. 😄 A good buy at £1 though, even if you only get a couple of recipes out if it.
ReplyDeleteI'm just glad I can borrow new fiction for free from the library as some popular authors are now that much = too much!
DeleteA nice book for a pound. I used to love having a browse through Good Housekeeping magazines.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
They are probably full of lots of ads nowadays, haven't looked lately
DeleteIt's good you got a deal on it. Hope there are some recipes you like.
ReplyDeleteThe recipes are a bit too fancy for me!
DeleteGone are the days when women built their lives around housekeeping.
ReplyDeleteGlossy pictures showing newly built or renovated homes are fun to look at. Not everything is appealing but there is always something that looks lovely and worth installing in my own home.
There are some lovely pictures of huge kitchens - not a bit like mine
DeleteA to-do list for household chores? No, thank you.
ReplyDeleteI used to like a list but it's rarely needed now - except for shopping
DeleteI think £1 is undoubtedly closer to its true value.
ReplyDeleteIt may have been the Ultimate gift for the MIL back then ... and now the MIL is way past cooking !! I look forward to hearing how it seems now.
ReplyDelete