22 August 2026

Saturday 22nd - Notes From the Week

 I started the week limping - thought I broken my little toe  on Sunday morning, stubbed it hard on the leg of the bed- somehow. What I should have done was to put ice on it straight away but I was heading out so didn't get ice on it until much later. Probably not broken but it didn't half hurt for a few days and is still a bit sore.


We had rain overnight Monday/Tuesday and Tuesday/Wednesday -and a shower on Thursday it added a bit to the water butt off the living room roof. Nothing added to the water butt off the greenhouse because I hadn't realised the pipe had become disconnected - Duh!
 There's also rain in the forecast now and again on some days until the end of the month which is hopeful for greening up the half dead stuff everywhere.


On Tuesday afternoon I went to ex-husbands funeral. Strange to think the last two times I went to a funeral in that church ex was at both. First it was for his Father - way back in 1984 and then later in the 1980s for a Scout Leader who we had both known.
At Tuesday's funeral  I was able to give Paul's  two sons some photos of their Dad when he was 16, one was him on his BSA Bantam motorbike, and tell them about when he did his Duke of Edinburgh Gold award camping and hiking challenge and had to arrange a rescue for one of the guys he was with who broke his leg and how we went to Buckingham Palace to receive the award and how he won an award for Top Apprentice at ICI in 1975. They didn't know any of that as he'd split from their Mum when they were still quite young. They didn't even know he'd been married before he was married to their Mum until quite recently, which I find very strange. My children have always known I was married for a short while before Colin, it wasn't a secret. 
Paul is now buried in the churchyard where his Mum and Dad are buried - and Col's Mum and Dad are also there. (Their funerals were in their Methodist Chapel which has no burial ground).


So.......... The Sussex's - Harry and Meghan are coming back to live here, so their children can go to school here and she can get back to acting on a TV programme here - they need the money obviously, as he's got a massive bill to pay for losing a lawsuit.
 Doesn't bother me what they do either way ........just have to hope we don't have endless news about what they are doing - although I expect we will. I heard that the Daily Mail had managed to fill 18 pages about them on Friday - Thank Goodness I don't have to read it!


You know Autumn is coming when there are new crime series on TV  ..........Professor T and Ludwig both started this week. Hopefully more than 3 in the  series which is all there were of Van Der Valk.   
Benidorm is Murder with John Hannah has a couple more episodes - it's quite 'light' but fun and sunny. Can't say the same about 'The Hairdresser Mysteries' - a daytime cosy crime thing ................dreadful.
I'm sure I've seen something else trailed but can't remember what it was.

Also on TV is the first of the last series of this summers Cricket Test Matches - it rained of course!

The Great British Sewing Bee has been much the same as usual - I wasn't sad to see Tim go, didn't like him much in our Suffolk Smallholders Society and he came over the same in the Sewing Bee - a bit too pleased with himself!

And the football season has started and Ipswich are of course back in the Premiership so they'll be featured on TV a few times which will be good to see for everyone who can't afford a ticket.





Have a Good Weekend, and remember not to take my blog too seriously. 

I'll be back Monday.



30 comments:

  1. I would have liked lots more episodes of Van der Valk! I do enjoy that series.
    Hope your toe continues to improve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really thing that 3 is NOT a series! I guess there will be more next year perhaps

      Delete
  2. Your poor toe - you don't realise how much you need your toes in everyday walking until one is damaged.
    I started watching the Hairdresser Mysteries one evening and quickly abandoned it - Sally Phillips' attempt at an accent was excruciating, and the plot was dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched one and had to watch another just to see if it really was as bad as I thought. It was!

      Delete
  3. Ouch! That bloomin well hurt and I sympathize, having had a number of these in the past (and hopefully stay in the past too!) You know why we have little toes? To find out whether our furniture is in the right place.
    Hope it gets better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very annoying thing to do - easily done but not easily forgotten

      Delete
  4. I enjoyed Van der Valk too and would have liked more episodes! I have just left a reply to your comment on my blog about watercolours - I hope it encourages you to have a go. Sorry to hear about your toe - ouch!
    Best wishes
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I just picked up a small water colour pad at a car boot sale, I have brushes so just need some paints - I'll start with cheap and have a go

      Delete
  5. I once broke my right small toe on the bed and the advice was just to tape it to my next toe and take painkillers! That was lovely that you were able to talk to your ex-husband’s sons about their father and it’s strange that they didn’t know about his previous marriage. Glad there has been some much needed rain down your way. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice to be able to pass on to his sons some photos and info about what he was like all those years ago

      Delete
  6. One of my uncles was an Ipswich Town fan back in the 1960s when Alf Ramsey took them to First Division champions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live in Suffolk you HAVE to be a Town fan - it's law!

      Delete
  7. I had a suspected broken toe earlier this year and although it turned out not to be broken it took ages to go back to a normal size and stop hurting!
    I agree about Van Der Valk, wish they did lots more episodes in the series.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's odd how foot injuries seem to hurt more than they should.
      I wonder how many there were in the original Van der Valk - too long ago to remember

      Delete
  8. Today's Mail was full of H & M, we only buy it on a Saturday for the TV magazine. Enjoyed Ludwig and also The Chelsea Detective, but neither of us liked the second series of Professor T. I have Freiberg's Disease in my feet which is painful nearly all the time, so I feel for you with your hurty toe. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't imagine what they found to fill so many pages without repeating themselves

      Delete
  9. Ouch! I hate when I stub a toe on something. Hope it's better by now.
    Nice of you to share with your ex-husband's sons.
    I love the British shows that come to my Public Television Station especially the mysteries and detective stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The two sons know hardly anything about their Dad when he was a teenager - sad that he died so early and they never got to ask more

      Delete
  10. Stubbing toes is the worst!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember having such a painful toe before.

      Delete
    2. Here, if you go to the ER, they immobilize the toe by taping it to the next toe. That might help with pain.

      Delete
  11. I'm sorry about your toe injury. Any foot injury hurts and takes a while to heal. Feet carry all our weight. I've had similar bumps and like Traumeel (analgesic ointment) and find it eases the pain/inflammation/swelling and promotes healing.
    It is lovely that you were able to provide new information to the boys about their father. His accomplishments were significant and good to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They only knew him as a bit of a failure but he was different when he was younger.

      Delete
  12. I hope your toe continues to heal. Glad to read that you could give things to the boys about their father.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really odd to find the things that they didn't know about their Dad. I think he hadn't had much contact with them or his grandchildren until recently

      Delete
  13. I broke my little toe many years ago. I thought I had just bruised it, but my husband immediately said it was broken as it began to go black immediately. A Dr in A&E almost made me go into orbit by touching the end of it!
    I hope yours is feeling better soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes, my toe went a bit black so maybe it is broken. Nothing to be done about it either way apart from time.

      Delete
  14. Nice that you were able to pass along some of Paul's photos to his sons. I am so disinterested in Harry and Meghan!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I appreciate the practical tips shared here. Proper digitizing makes a huge difference in the final embroidery result.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was a bit dismayed to run out of Van der Valks after only 3 episodes, but I guess as they are each two hours long, it would probably take almost as much time to film them as 6 each of Professor T and Ludwig. I do love seeing Amsterdam, Alan kept spotting places that I had photographed him outside fast asleep when we were there ... he did do a lot of sleeping for some reason!

    ReplyDelete