24 July 2026

Horse Chestnut Tree Mid July

Despite our "prolonged dry weather - one step below drought conditions"  here in Mid-Suffolk, the Horse Chestnut tree I've been following through the year is still looking green and not much leaf fall......compared to the Lime trees in the Churchyard near me which have lost so many leaves already, they blow along the road in the wake of the cars and trucks, looking more like Autumn.



The conkers are getting bigger and it looks as if there will be plenty to collect later, although I don't think children play conkers anymore - it's probably too dangerous for the 21st Century!


The blotches of the Guignardia Leaf Blotch fungus disease on the leaves  (luckily not affecting tree health)  don't seem to have increased too much from my June photos, perhaps the dry weather has stopped it spreading. 



The photos from earlier months are HERE for comparison.

Apologies for lack of replies to comments recently. Still not much to write about so I'll be back Monday.


15 comments:

  1. I fear it will be an early Autumn which makes the journey into winter seem so long then. We shall see, perhaps some rain will save the day. Meant to be having "some" - amounts vary - over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely chose a beautiful tree to follow the progress of. It must be at it's absolute peak in July and early August. I bet it would love a good drink though. 🌳

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agree with comments above, our village show is at the end of August and I’m wondering if the produce section will be sadly depleted.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  4. The weather impacts everything. High heat and little rain are a brutal combination. Your tree photos show lots of good leaf and the chestnut tree is producing lots of chestnuts.
    Our oak trees are dropping acorns which is very surprising in July.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all the conkers. It is a shame that so many traditions are frowned upon by the Powers That Be.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very healthy looking tree. Some horse chestnuts turn practically brown by late summer. (Maybe because of that leaf spot?)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see how dry it is by looking at the grass under the tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness look at all those horse chestnuts growing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just catching up on your blog . Bad news for me this week . I have delayed seeing my GP because of increasingly painful knees - so went at the beginning of July , was sent for x rays and had the results last Monday . What I thought would be mild Osteoarthritis turns out to be severe OA , and my GP thinks I will need bilateral total knee replacements . The wait for an initial assessment by the Orthopaedic team could be 10 months . Our poor NHS is struggling. My GP says if he were me he would pay privately- I am not insured - but that would be in the region of £30,000 . And the person I most want to talk to about this is my late husband . My children’s views have varied . My oldest sons are both Doctors and are very keen I start the private process - my son in the US seems to have forgotten that most people here DONT have private medical insurance- and my sensible daughter has suggested a second GP opinion and pushing the pause button .
    And now I have been told my painful
    knees are severely damaged my pain seems to have risen exponentially.
    I am not a happy bunny
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry to hear this, that's not good news at all and I have no idea what I would do in your situation. A 10 month wait just for assessment is awful and then presumably another long wait for the operations by which time I guess you will be on strong painkillers.

      Delete
    2. Oh dear. I can not advise on the paying for it situation, but I can say that having a knee replacement truly was the best gift I have ever given myself. Today we went on a 7 mile walk.

      Delete
  10. Is your lime tree also called a linden tree or a basswood tree?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just called Lime Trees here but the same family as your Linden/Basswood

      Delete