31 July 2026

July Financial Round-up

Awful news of the tinder dry Heathland fire on the Suffolk coast around Dunwich. The caravan site where I stayed last year was evacuated and National Trust land and part of RSPB Minsmere destroyed. I hope they can get it under control. So much of the area along the coast there is heathland including a lot of land around Sizewell Nuclear Power Station!.....worrying times. My Youngest Daughter and EGD are about 5 miles south of the fires but if it got to them the power station would be in danger too. 'Luckily' huge swathes of land have been cleared for the new railway and  associated Sizewell C works between Leiston town and the fire.

*******************************

 State Pension is paid every 4 weeks and July is the month for me this year with two payments which always makes the bank balance look very good......for a while.

In 2025 July was my lowest spend month and I hoped for similar in 2026 as the only known extra above all the regular monthly outgoings was the virus protection for the laptop.

Just the usual income of State Pension, County Council Spouses Pension and interest on savings.

The regular monthly outgoings are Council Tax, Broadband and phones, diesel for the car, charity, the variable monthly electric bill, plus  the annual lap top virus protection those totalled  £413.

Smaller expenses were for a new frying pan - the second I've bought in a year as the first replacement was dreadful. Bits used in the bathroom, cholesterol reducing drinks and paracetamol in the 'Health' column and a few car boot finds for grandchildren, Sunflower Hearts for the birds and Finally I ordered a pack of six new filter cartridges for my water jug.

My personal expenses were just exercise group, a couple of secondhand books from the library 'For Sale' shelves and the new Black n' Red note book from a boot-sale (to use for accounts when I've finished the one in use) that I mentioned at the start of the month.

Food spending for at home was around £128 (including visitors), plus there was also some food/coffee out with and without family ..........so not a cheap month foodwise at all. 

    image from google freepik

    Pennies Pinched.................

    • I've gone back to making 400g loaves in the bread machine rather than 500g, saving money and calories. Still 50/50 wholemeal/white flour and a good money saver.
    • Climbing French beans from the garden
    • Courgettes from the garden
    • Cucumbers and tomatoes from the greenhouse
    • Beetroot from BiL's garden, I gave him a packet of seed and he sowed an extra row for me.
    • Few figs from the garden before wasps moved in
    • Two Aubergines from greenhouse turned into Aubergine and tomato pasta sauce for freezer.
    • No books bought online
    • No 'products' bought
    • No clothes etc bought
    • Used saved apple peelings and the too seedy raspberries to make 3½ jars of compost/mixed fruit jelly
    • Saved all of 19p by clicking the "no hurry" button when ordering the water filter jug cartridges.
    • Dishwasher only used every other day
    • Washing machine just used once or twice a week and washing dried outside of course.
    • Make sure to always get refund on car -park ticket by spending £5 in Asda when going into town.


    And Looking forward........................

    August is another month with only one known extra above all the regular payments, that's for half year sewer and water charges. Last year (and February this year) this was a big bill because I'd not realised there was a problem with the bathroom loo.....which I got fixed in March...........so hoping for something a bit smaller this year, although it's £97 for standing charges per half year without even using any water! Google AI tells me  the average cost for 1 person, with a water meter for water and sewer is between £350 - £450 per year, I hope I'm at the lower end of that total. "Water poverty" is counted as spending more than 5% of total income on water and sewer bills, and the way water bills keep rising and summer droughts, we'll all be there soon.

    9 comments:

    1. Being on a spring, my water costs are for fresh filters at £6 each, several a year, and UV bulb/fitting (£130) plus new glass liner every couple of years (£60 or so I think). We have a septic tank too, so not reliant on Council for that element of my life. Have given up counting outgoings this month - finances took a big hit with the new fridge-freezer at £464!! Diesel prices horrific and I go nowhere unless it's shopping or "work" related.

      Have just cleared my browser cache in the hope that this will get my Blog posting again. Can you check if it has updated on your blog sidebar please?

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Not updating on the sidebar - there's no rhyme nor reason -but I'm still reading your posts.

        Delete
    2. I think your food spending at home was kept well down, congrats! It's so nice at this time of year to have something to eat from the garden too. In a previous post you showed a bargain on cherries, I love these and always pounce if I see a bargain( rare!).
      Thanks for recent posts.
      Penny

      ReplyDelete
    3. I switched to 400g loaves because the slices fit better in the new toaster! Lots of visitors recently has sent the food budget soaring.
      Hoping they get the fires out soon - we had a welcome shower last night. First one for weeks

      ReplyDelete
    4. 400g makes a perfect sized bread-maker loaf for the two of us. DH has had a 16kg sack of strong white flour for his birthday, a perfect present from our son in law. We add wholemeal or seeded and malted flours for variety. I used a voucher at the garden centre to buy 2 packs of Dove dried yeast, so our daily bread is even more frugal.

      ReplyDelete
    5. I did think about you, Sue, as soon as I saw the report of the fire on the news last night. I'm glad you are ok and keeping fingers firmly crossed that the firefighters can put it out soon. It's a bit too close to Sizewell for comfort.

      July has been an expensive month for us too. I think you have done well foodwise :)
      Angie

      ReplyDelete
    6. It's so sad to see the fire and all the damage. The poor wildlife. I have fond memories of walking all along the coast there. Hopefully they've got it under control now. Well done to the fire service and all those people who have come forward to help.

      ReplyDelete
    7. Thought about you and your family with those fires, let’s hope it’s all sorted soon.
      Don’t get me started on water charges…..still I have to remind myself that at least we have clean fresh water on tap.
      Alison in Devon x

      ReplyDelete
    8. watched 2 houses burn down in the next village yesterday, 3 fire engines but no water pressure, they were having to fetch water from the river miles away , our water pressure is dire here so you can only shower at 5am or whinge endlessly like my other half ..ho hum they shouldnt have built 100s of houses in the next village

      ReplyDelete