8 books of crime fiction that I'd reserved turned up all at once on the mobile library last week- Not cancelled due to excess heat this time....thank goodness.
I've still got 20 books reserved and waiting, either for the library to get them into stock and/or for my turn on waiting lists. Several will arrive by the August van visit. What is really annoying is that some were so slow to be bought by the library that my reservation had 'expired' before they even had them in stock - and I've had to re-reserve. It means I went from nearly at the top of the waiting list to the end! I've now found out how to make sure that doesn't happen again.
Last months library books were these two photos below and I read some but abandoned many for various reasons - usually they just didn't appeal once I got started.
Details of all the books I read were copied from the July books read list onto last Wednesdays post or on the separate 2026 page. I read one from my shelves, picked up another from library shelves when I took some back and another for 50p from the books For Sale library shelf.
The Tree Lore book didn't have any mention of Horse Chestnut Trees to add to info for my Following a Tree posts and I flicked through Tonics and Teas but nothing appealed. Evergreen was yet another book I just skimmed through, it was about 'finding joy in the seasons'............. I wasn't in the right frame of mind!



I see a Louise Penny in there. I think it’s the first one. You’re in for a treat, I do enjoy her books.
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling I've tried before and failed, so trying again from the beginning in hope.........!
DeleteI'm also trying and failing to read quite a few books at the moment. I'm going back to old favourites quite a bit. Leas brain power needed!
ReplyDeleteWhen I've failed with some authors I like to read an author I've read before but without re-reading - this is difficult as lots of authors are long gone and the books of theirs I've not read are very expensive.
DeleteIt's starting to feel like everyone is on a mission to 'find joy' at the moment. Not a bad thing in itself of course, but the phrase is definitely getting overused on social media and in reading material.
ReplyDeleteRecommendations for tiny homes, cottagecore, seasonal living etc etc are always popping up and plenty of authors jumping on the bandwagon
DeleteI brought books back from the library the other day and they are still in a pile untouched 😕
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
I hope you find treasure amongst them
DeleteI just saw a movie of that Louise Penny book. I enjoyed that whole series of her books about Three Pines.
ReplyDeleteI'm starting from the first of her books and hoping I can get into it.
Delete8 books! Thankfully the library book delivery is back on track.
ReplyDeleteEach delivery must guarantee at least a few good reads.
We might get some rain today. Hopefully it is more than a dribble.
Almost no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days - it's getting serious
DeleteA neighbour has very kindly given me a carrier bag of books and said she didn't want them back, so I'll either put them on our local estate buddy group page or donate them. Its 27.5 here in Derbyshire on the edge of the Peak District. Xx
ReplyDeleteThe village hall where we do our exercise group has some book shelves and now the same village has a book library in the bus shelter - there are no buses! but I've not found anything in either place for a while
DeleteI am too hot to read...
ReplyDeleteIt's certainly heating up this afternoon and tomorrow even hotter.
DeletePretty hard to find joy in this particular hot, dry season! (Unless maybe you're at the beach.)
ReplyDeleteEven hot there too I reckon, too hot to drive there to find out!
DeleteThere's very little joy here in Staffordshire either. As Ang has said, it's much too hot to read, the garden is like a desert and as for cooking.....let's just say jacket potatoes and salad have figured largely on the menu. Oh...and it would be lovely to sleep in a cool room again !
ReplyDeleteAngie
Another week ahead of heat according to the forecast. |I moan about being woken early as my bedroom faces East but better that than the other way
DeleteI haven't been to the library in awhile. Just too hot.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.
The good thing about collecting my reservations from the library mobile is that I'm only there in the heat for a few minutes
DeleteOh wow, that is a lot of books on reserve! Hopefully, they don't all come in at once. I see a few on there from authors I recognise.
ReplyDeleteI really hope things cool down by the time I come mid-August. Sunshine please but 22 tops lol. I need a break from the heat!
Ipswich will be about 33 today!
DeleteI saw the Louise Penny novel, Still Life, in your new books. I envy you the joy of reading the first of her Inspector Gamache series and then there are many more in the series. Enjoy.
ReplyDelete