01 August 2026

The Last Week of July from the 25th

 After the church tour last Sunday..............

Pink Dots on a map!

The last week of July was HOT again, Wednesday was exceptionally steamy, not encouraging for going far at all........

First of all a catch up with food shop photos.

This was the 4th food shop of July on the 25th

 

Cherries 65p(were still on offer); coleslaw 79p; 1Kg nectarines £2.39; peanuts 59p;  2 x Prunes @£2.49 = £5.58; pack 2 Naans 69p (I cut these in half before freezing); 4 pints milk £1.65; Melon £1.49.

Total £13.83

Then I had to go into town on a market day for sunflower hearts for the birds, as the goldfinches had been feeding their babies like crazy, so needed to spend £5 at Asda to get my £1 car park fee back and called at Aldi on the way in for a couple of things that are cheaper there.

Pack 2 little gem lettuce 95p;6 mini apples 99p;pesto £1.49; 6 large eggs £2.29; 2 peanuts @ 59p = £1.18; pine nuts £1.69. Quickly into the freezer went ice cream £1.62 and pack of 2 Linda McCartney vegetarian ¼lb mozzarella burgers £2

Total £12.21 
 
 As mentioned in yesterdays July financial round up - food for home including above was around about £128, but there were also  meals out with and without family and one coffee out to add to that so it turned into a very expensive food month. 

*********************


Garden bin was emptied so I started filling it again with all of  this years old  raspberry canes. I thought about  getting rid of the raspberry bed if summers are going to be so dry making the seeds so hard that I can't eat them, but they went into the freezer for jelly making so not really wasted.

**************************

Good Grief - Balsam Hill are advertising their very posh, very expensive artificial Christmas trees on TV in JULY - it shouldn't be allowed!

************************

Despite holidays and grandparent duties there were still enough people at the over 60's Keep Moving Group to cover costs which is good.



This week I'm grateful for

  • Still being able to use hose to fill water butts for watering food crops
  • Plenty of good reading
  • Vegetables from the garden and greenhouse
  • Finding things to fill blog posts this week - not sure about next week!


18 comments:

  1. As mentioned here eating out has become expensive and even takeaway fish and chips are not the reasonable treat they used to be. We have been cutting down progressively over the years and eat out much less often now. If we want an occasional treat it's coffee and cake, not a meal.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The local chip shop does a pensioners discount fish and chips but they aren't very good so I no longer bother.

      Delete
  2. Okay ... so I think that you are the first in our gang of regular bloggers to mention Christmas!! 😄

    Buying a Christmas tree in July would seem weird for anyone, well except if they were half price I suppose. I guess they want the seed of their name planted in everyone's minds ready for when it might actually be time to buy one.

    Have you got a notebook that you can jot down ideas for blog posts in? Note things down when inspiration strikes. I should do this, but I don't ... I have a waiting list all up in my head. 😄

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Christmas in July' I think their ad said! Should be banned!

      Delete
  3. My post often start with a photo, which opens up the subject, mainly around things I am doing, which in this heat is not very much. Your Christmas beats my Halloween, as seen in local shops.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'd not seen Halloween stuff yet but I'm sure I'll notice it soon

      Delete
  4. Blog posts need holidays as well sometimes. Never knew a new fridge would cause interest for instance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always fancied one of those huge American Fridge/Freezers but probably wouldn't like the running costs and never had the space anyway!

      Delete
  5. Halloween in full swing here and I bought some Christmas things in a sale for the craft group I run. Not much eating out this month except for a charity coffee morning. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't want to think about Halloween or Christmas yet!

      Delete
  6. Don't know about you, but I've found fruit bought in shops hasn't been lasting well lately, it goes off in no time. The hot weather I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep the nectarines in the fridge and just take them out a day before I want to eat them. Cherries were a lovely treat and the melon is good too

      Delete
  7. I saw that advert too, who is going to pay anything from £300 upwards for something that's used once a year for a few days! I went into B&M to get a few bits and they already have Halloween stuff out. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy price for a Christmas tree!
      I've not seen Halloween stuff yet but it's sure to be there next time I go in a supermarket

      Delete
  8. I am wondering if August will bring high heat. It is usually a hot month. Oddly enough the Oak tree acorns are starting to fall. I'd love an early nice cool Autumn.
    Food costs continue to rise. I like walnuts in my morning cereal, and a 16 oz. bag was $15.
    i am not ready for Halloween or Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There never used to be Halloween stuff here now it's everywhere and far too early

      Delete
  9. My daughter is with me this weekend ( our darling g cat had a major health scare this week- it’s been scary but hopefully with new meds he is now ok ) - we’ve done a little shopping and I saw Halloween items out today and back to school adverts

    We did not celebrate either Jewish or Christmas holidays as children , and replicated this with our own children - but we did do presents on New Year’s Day as a bit of a compromise . My children loved visiting friends houses at Christmas with their decorations- but always said they were pleased we did not bother . We were lucky our children were not more consumer focused !
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope August isn't as hot as I come over on the 14th. Not too hot or cold please lol.
    Sister says she still has water in the water butts too so is able to water some of the garden.

    It doesn't surprise me about the Christmas trees. Once in a while I can get some Christmas things to bring back with me lol.

    ReplyDelete