from THE GARDEN IN SEPTEMBER
The 1st of the month marks the start of meteorological autumn, astronomically Autumn doesn't begin until Mabon or the Autumn Equinox which is on the 23rd this year.
Fair on the first of September, fair for the whole month
The Anglo-Saxons called September Gertsmonarth, meaning the Barley Month
There are generally three consecutive windy days around the middle of the month, millers called these the windy days of barley harvest.
In this year of excess heat the wheat and barley harvest is long finished. There isn't any sugar beet growing close by this year but farmers who have grown it will be looking at a very small crop later. Maybe sugar will be yet another thing that will see a price rise in winter as well as flour and dairy products - all due to the heat and lack of rain.
I love hollyhocks, there are loads of them in cottage gardens in the village. This year the sunflowers do not seem so tall.
ReplyDeleteI like to believe that autumn starts early in September, can't wait for Mabon. Even in a normal year without such heat I'm glad to see the back of August. Difficult to put into words why I feel that but I really welcome the turning of the season.
ReplyDeletePenny
September, weather wise, is normally a lovely month. It just seemed to have come round so quickly.
ReplyDeleteLove the picture you posted of the September image. I like September, it is often a beautiful month. October seems sadder to me, as I always dread the thought of winter coming. Carole R
ReplyDeleteYou know. Seeing September was a bit of a jolt, but yes. You're right. It is...
ReplyDeleteThat is a lovely picture. I really enjoy your posts on country lore. The poor farmers have suffered this year. My Grandad was a tenant farmer and he and my Gran had a hard life. One year he had to have a herd of pedigree cows slaughtered due to foot and mouth. He was heartbroken and gave up farming and worked for the Forestry Commission for the rest of his working life. He said trees were easier! Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteMy HOllyhocks barely grew of course. . . Next year perhaps. I always enjoy reading your country lore. I hadn't thought of sugar prices going up - I have half a dozen bags in my store, both granulated and demerara as well as glass jars full of opened packets in use.
ReplyDeleteI am a spring person by nature, but never been so glad to see rain and an early autumn as this year. Picked Elderberries yesterday so will make some syrup today.
I like the ‘ber’ months, but then I’m a November baby. And I loved school so was always happy to go back. My least favourite month is January.
ReplyDeleteAnna.
September, a lovely month. Thank you for the post
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
The year is flying by but I like September and the season of Autumn. I'm hoping it cools off soon as we have warmer weather again this week.
ReplyDeleteAutumn is here. I made a wreath to hang and updated my Fall shutter of a pumpkin face. Rainy day here today.
ReplyDeleteI still can't think of autumn starting on the 1st September!
ReplyDeleteThank you to everyone for comments - much appreciated and apologies for not replying individually
ReplyDeleteI love that painting - bold and colourful and full of September.
ReplyDeleteI also like September and the rain today is glorious. Finally, some rain! Previous rain predictions produced nothing so today is a bonus.
ReplyDeleteWouldn't you just know it--two days ago you posted about people going to the emergency room with insect bites. I seem to have gotten bit by a spider last night after I went to bed. Woke up right away to terrible itching and a red swollen spot on my lower leg . I knew exactly what to do--two Benadryl tablets and some cortisone cream to stop the itching. (I probably should have mixed up some meat tenderizer with a few drops of water but this was the middle of the night and I could already tell this wasn't a bad one). I am still treating it today because the spider venom wants to hang around for a day or two.
ReplyDeleteAs for fall, I go by how it feels, which is usually around the fall equinox and colder nights. It's still a few weeks away. I never know when spring actually begins because it is always cold and wet. Usually sometime in April where I live.
I like reading what you shared about September and interesting photo as well. It has been a bit colder here in when we live and have clouds a lot today. Rain to happen on Wednesday and Thursday. Phil and I were walking last week to the next street, and we were able to talk with two neighbors as they live in the same house. They have plums that are grown there and gave us a bag of it. Delicious to eat and got more at Bauman's Farm and Garden this afternoon as they were grown there. Good to be at company that makes their good items they have instead always getting ones from a grocery store. Enjoy your month and have a good time and be safe and happy!! Becky L. https://grandmabeckyl.blogspot.com
ReplyDeleteIt was only when the weatherman on BBC said it was meteorological Autumn, that I realised that I have real trouble pronouncing the word meteorological !!
ReplyDeleteI love posts like this. I hope your September is lovely!
ReplyDelete