After last nights Apocalypse programme on Channel 4 (which was just an hour of 20 and 30 year olds arguing) set in an abandoned town in the US which is now used by the military for training, I'm jumping on the bandwagon!.........
Seems there is a Weather Event about to happen and Russia are planning a cyber attack in Suffolk!
"An El Nino event could disrupt UK weather, laying bare the vulnerabilities flagged by the Climate Change Committee's new report"
There is a factory in Suffolk producing drones for Ukraine which could be attacked by Russia. With a small airfield in Suffolk being used to train the drone operators. We also have two USAF air bases and a Nuclear Power station. Any could have a cyber attack or an attack on the electric supply. (Although if there was a problem at Sizewell B then we probably wouldn't need anything stored at all!)
I'm not panicking but can see no harm in being prepared for problems - it's better to have things in the cupboard and not need them than the other way round.
In Son and DiL's village they are actually having a special meeting on the 5th of October
People’s Emergency Briefing, St Mary’s Church
I've not heard about my village being briefed yet.
Anyway, I doubt it's possible to plan for long term problems or a zombie apocalypse! but it feels good to have a few just-in-case items.
I decided to order some more gas cartridges for my small picnic stove. I've used this three or four times since living here when electric has been off for a few hours. It doesn't happen often since a local transformer was upgraded but having a way to heat water for a coffee or a hot water bottle is comforting.
There are batteries for torch and a radio in the cupboard and I also have a very old wind-up/solar power radio (it doesn't run long either way now but still works a bit). For light I have candles and a lantern that is rechargeable from the mains. I found a camping light that can be recharged by winding and also has a built in solar panel and can also charge a phone and have ordered that also.
In the garage I have a good stock of wood for the wood-burner - logs and kindling, firelighters and matches and BiL will save me some newspapers for fire lighting too.
In the medicine cupboard I always have a supply of paracetamol and ibuprofen, antiseptic and antihistamine creams and plasters and reorder prescription meds from the pharmacy at the village health centre in good time.
I try and keep the car at least half full of diesel - which is a couple of hundred miles, enough to get out and about to family or shops for several weeks.
There's one thing that went from the shelves early in covid that I've never understood - loo rolls. I'm still getting a box full once a year from the Who Gives a Crap company so no shortage here.
Then there's food and water as per instructions to have a supply - just in case. There is new government advice due later this month.................
The initiative is intended as a practical, "common sense" approach to enhance household self-sufficiency, which in turn frees up emergency resources for the country’s most vulnerable populations. [1]
- What to stock: Households will be encouraged to keep a three-day supply of bottled water and non-perishable tinned foods (such as tinned meat, fruits, and vegetables) that do not require cooking, alongside emergency tools like manual tin openers and torches. [1]
- When it launches: While initial reports leaked around August 25–28, the formal guidance and an official "Prepare" website are expected to be heavily publicised later in autumn, with some frameworks pointing to mid-September 2026. [1, 2, 3, 4]
- The reasons: The policy update comes in response to heightened risks from hostile state cyber-attacks on infrastructure, severe summer heatwaves causing agricultural droughts, and potential disruptions to power or water grids. [1, 2]
- The "War Book": Alongside the public advice, the government is updating its classified crisis blueprint—traditionally known as the "war book"—to prepare civilian and military infrastructure for external threats. [1]
Officials and supermarket bodies have heavily emphasized that this is a long-term preparedness measure and not a call for immediate panic buying
Years of living miles from a shop means I never let cupboards get low on food and I have a 5 litre bottle of water in the freezer which works like a giant ice pack if the electric goes off (two or three 4 pint bottles of milk too and they do the same) and a couple of small bottles of water in the cupboard and keep my filter jug in the fridge full. Plus the water butts outside have refilled with recent rain. I don't think there's anyway to have an indefinite water supply unless you happen to have a well or your own supply of spring water. But some of the things suggested to stock for food shortage just wouldn't appeal at all - like baked beans. If I was stressed/depressed without much heat and light they would be way down my list.

These are su h strange days. But your ca practicality is wonderful!
ReplyDeleteBe Prepared is the Scouting motto and I was a Cub Scout Leader for 20 years - so the motto remains!
DeletePanicking the nation. The only tinned food I eat are tomatoes , I don’t eat tinned meat as a vegetarian, yes can see the sense in keeping a couple of bags of porridge oats. Some of us live in small houses or don’t have the budget to stockpile, I think this is really irresponsible advice. Sarah Browne
ReplyDeletePlease explain why I am panicking the nation? - it seems sensible to me and I hardly think 3 cans is stockpiling!
DeleteWe twice had no electric for a week each time, once after the 1987 hurricane and again in the 90's after gales. I'd rather be prepared than not.
Sarah, it's not just 'war' related. There is some very bad weather forecast for this winter, and being near the west coast of Wales, we will most likely be hit. If deliveries cannot be made to shops because roads and bridges are down, and the automatic re-ordering systems in supermarkets wont work without power (ditto paying for anything), there will be nothing for you to buy.
DeleteI'm assuming that you've never lived in a remote area, had to survive being snowed in for weeks on end, been without power also for weeks on end. Those of us who lived through the winter of 62/63 will prepare!
I agree with you veg. artist, being in mid-Wales and knowing that the weather can definitely put the kibosh on deliveries. Even the M4 has been shut by bad weather in the past due to ice. I always keep a very good store cupboard, but need to stock up a bit more.
DeleteCOVID taught us some interesting lessons. My family used to hoot with laughter at the quantity of loo rolls I kept in the under stairs cupboard but they were glad to take some packs away with them when the stores ran out. I didn't need to join in with panic buying. I think we are reasonably prepared , living in a rural area which has always been susceptible to power cuts has made preparations, particularly in the winter a sensible precaution each year. One thing I would add to the list is a quantity of cash kept in the house' just in case'. Cyber attacks could make money / payments tricky.
ReplyDeletePenny
The cash idea is also recommended.
DeleteMy "Brexit Box" proved useful when we were both quarantined with covid just before lockdown. I love that the wise comment aboveabout cash comes from a reader aptly named Penny!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, I hadn't made that connection!
DeleteWater will be the biggest issue , if we lose power the pumps stop, having water buts will help, if not fill your bath. Dried foods take power and water to make edible, so not the best to keep in.
ReplyDeleteI have a private water supply, but it would be pumped upstairs and with power out, it wouldn't and neither would my UV-water -purifying system work. All water would need to be boiled. The toilets are, of course, upstairs . . . Buckets of water for those so fill the bath. Cash in house - yup, a necessity.
ReplyDeleteI must look out my camping stoves. I think they are in the main stable.
Good idea Sue, after the shortage of stuff with lock down we have kept a supply of everything incase!
ReplyDeleteI like your matter of fact approach Sue. None of us want to think about the possibility of an apocalypse situation but as pointed out bad weather or another pandemic could make life difficult. We have got a lot of tinned food……don’t forget a decent can opener……..also the means of cooking independently of the electricity supply, water too…….essential to life.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Living in the countryside I like to keep a decent amount of supplies to hand, especially in the Winter in case of bad weather or illness. My Dad (ex-military) used to advise keeping a few tins of fruit in the emergency cupboard as they provide both food and fluid.
ReplyDelete