03 October 2026

Saturday Round-up. Wordy With No Photos!

Is the blog reading list updating hitch resolved? - on Wednesday it seemed to be........and on Thursday...........yes and Friday...........still OK - this looks very hopeful but where have some of the regular bloggers gone? especially Janice at Jabblog, who  used to post almost everyday. It's worrying.

**********************************

Hearing the story unfold about the men arrested near an RAF airbase used by the USAF was very odd if you'd been watching the recent series of the drama Trigger Point on TV a couple of weeks ago. The story there was bombers supposedly being from Iran - but actually they weren't. They were just trying to start a world war. Their bomb was nuclear  (thank God just fiction). 
There seems more to the story of the men here in Fairford, Gloucestershire. A 999 phone call from one of the men to the police(?) very odd.  No explosives found - just petrol (which they would have needed if they were stealing quad bikes - which is the more usual reason that men in balaclavas and white vans are sneaking round the countryside) And they were released on bail - which terrorists surely would NOT have been. Politicians from other countries chipped in with their tuppence worth - could have done without hearing from them......... Then someone in London arrested. I guess we will find out eventually.
What I want to know is............ have they stepped up security on the two bases used by the USAF in Suffolk? One has the huge KC135 Stratotankers used to refuel  USAF planes. Not a mention has been made of them.....as far as I've heard.

*********************

The grass was cut again, it's amazing that even without much rain it's growing like crazy. I'm waiting for a heavy rainfall to see how well the gutter clearing has worked, but there was only a light drizzle, that didn't last on Wednesday. I also finished clearing out the greenhouse bringing in the last few tomatoes to finish ripening indoors. Have to say that pulling grow bags out of the greenhouse and tipping out onto the veg beds is much easier than hauling out big pots.

*********************

I'm now reading the 2nd Louise Penny Chief Inspector Gamache series and wondering why I've never got into them before. Just like the Donna Leon Brunetti series that I didn't try until a few years ago but then loved and read them all (and I've just discovered that there is another due in 2027 after a 3 year gap - she's 84 now so no wonder she's slowing down!) Maybe years ago I was put off by crime fiction set in other countries and now I'm more adventurous?  Anyway, I went onto the library website to reserve the 3rd and 4th and found that for many of the early books in the series - from the early 2,000s - the library has just one copy or none and the more recently published have very long waiting lists. Then I hopped over to amazon and discovered I could buy a huge set of the first 15 for less than £2.50 each. As I'd not bought hardly any books from anywhere recently I went mad and ordered - these will be my Christmas present - instead of my usual Chocolate liqueurs- and will be for the just-in-case emergency/winter book store! 

**********************

To watch or not to watch - that is the question. Strictly Come Dancing - yes I'll watch as it's good for Saturday Night glitter from now until Christmas. I know nothing about most of the celebs so have no favourites. I'll just watch for the skill of the professional dancers, choreographers and band  and the brilliant people who do the costumes and sets.
The much hyped Celebrity Traitors. The jury's out. I did watch part one just to see who was on it, some people I've never heard of but lots of well known comedians. Maybe it's for half-watching -with reading at the same time.

The only thing in the diary for the weekend is too far away, given the huge increase in diesel prices, so I won't be going far.
 Hope you all have a good weekend, I'll be back Monday.


28 comments:

  1. I love the idea of an emergency winter book store 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea to make your Christmas present a set of books.
    I am dipping in and out of Strictly too, I watch the talented professionals rather than the celebs and when it all gets too treacly I switch off and read in blessed peace. Am I getting old?!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treacly is a good word when they start gushing about 'journeys'!

      Delete
  3. I must have another go at Donna Leon. I read a couple then got hooked on Penny and read them all.
    I am watching the U channel a lot at the moment, mostly mindless cosy crime that i can absorb whilst knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I started with the Donna Leon book about books and libraries and then went back and read more until I'd read them all, but no idea why it took me until just a few years ago to get into them.
      Just watched the most recent series of The Chelsea Detective on U - it's a handy channel.

      Delete
  4. Just been directed to this link about Jabblog https://river-driftingthroughlife.blogspot.com/2026/10/shes-okay.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the info link and good to hear Jan is OK

      Delete
  5. I have just read The Venetian Candidate by Philip Gwynne Jones. Set in Venice(obvs) it is not a detective he is the Honorary British Consul but it is a crime story. Very engaging and reminded me of the Donna Leon. I think it's from a series of books. Carole R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked him up on Fantastic Fiction and then went to the library website to reserve the first in the series The Venetian Game from 2017. But it tells me I've borrowed it before but I know I've not read it , so must have been a fail for some reason.
      I've made a note to try them again

      Delete
  6. So glad you mentioned Janice, I’ll take a look at that link .
    I’m with you and others reference Strictly, we’ll watch because darker evenings are coming and we need more telly. Traitors we watch in all its forms, love it.
    So agree about the Fairford incident, must be more to it!
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It usually takes me a few weeks to get into Strictly and I love their them nights - such clever costumes . Look forward to movie night in a while - nice that it's earlier so everyone gets a chance

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you like Louise Penney.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for mentioning the Donna Leon Brunetti series. I remember reading some of those back in the day but haven't read them all. I will check them out when I finish the Maggie Hope series I am reading now by Susan Elia MacNeal. set during WWII. I enjoyed Louise Penny also!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the first of the Maggie Hope MacNeal books but when I tried the second I just couldn't get into it. Maybe I should try again

      Delete
  9. That is a good purchase because several of the books build on each other and you might want to go back and reread certain parts. Someone sent me the first two books and I wasn't overwhelmed by the first, just thought it was okay. Years passed. Then my sister wanted to spend a long weekend in Quebec and I decided to bring the second book to listen to on the drive back - this time I was captivated! It is easy to love Gamache and his relationship with his wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it funny how we change our reading over time, I used to enjoy big historical sagas but now they don't appeal at all

      Delete
  10. Buying a few books for emergencies seems like a great idea. You'll be all set for the winter months.
    Security at USAF bases is usually very tight. In the US they are gated and entry is via an entrance where an officer checks your id. Only authorized people are allowed entry.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure security is very tight at Mildenhall and Lakenheath but no with drones it's such a different type of threat

      Delete
  11. I am so, so glad you are loving the Gamache series. Yes, reading in order is important -- while the mystery is self-contained, there is a secondary overarching theme that covers several books. And of course, the relationships evolve. My reader list is sometimes back but takes forever to buffer. Fortunately, I bookmarked everyone I visit so when it's not working, I haven't lost things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reading list on the sidebar hitch was getting annoying, I'm glad blogger got it sorted so we could get back to normal. It's very exciting to know I have lots of good reading in store and another 6 after the 15 too.

      Delete
  12. Giving yourself books is always a good idea, I can never resist books and have a huge TBR pile! I gave up on Strictly about 2 years ago, although granddaughter keeps me up to date and Celebrity Traitors is a no go as OH can't stand Claudia. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't usually buy 15 books all at once !
      Claudia is very witty - I enjoyed her on Strictly.

      Delete
  13. That's a good deal on the Donna Leon books... never a waste of money in my opinion. I didn't know a single person on Strictly this year but still watched as I have favourites among the pro dancers (Vito, Kai, Lauren, Aljac). And then that doggy chap and the one from N. Ireland pulled out brilliant dances so that was me sold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seemed very extravagant buying so many books - but what a treat for bad weather in winter!
      I'd heard of 5 of this years celebs so not exactly up with celebrity doings

      Delete
  14. I watched the series (they cancelled it over just one series) of the Louise Penny murders and it seemed quite good. I'll have to give them a read if I ever run out of books ha ha.
    Sounds like a really good deal on the books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't know some had been made into a TV series - maybe it will be on free TV here sometime.

      Delete