01 October 2026

October Days

 Here are the October events from my little Almanac book and the way the months rush by it'll soon be Halloween, and of course the shops have been full of Halloween things for weeks already. 



Looking back at previous October 1st posts and I've already written about so many weather sayings. There were several HERE in the October 1st post from 2024.

So instead I looked in the Illustrated Country Year book by Celia Lewis and found these lovely Thrush illustrations in the October section.




And in the Miranda Mills Country Commonplace Book I found a poem by Robert Bridges

North Wind in October

In the golden glade the chestnuts are fallen all;
From the seared boughs of the oak the acorns fall:
The beech scatters her ruddy fire;
The lime hath stripped to the cold,
And standeth naked above her yellow attire:
The larch thinneth her spire
To lay the ways of the wood with cloth of gold.

Out of the golden-green and white
Of the brake the fir-trees stand upright
In the forest of flame, and wave aloft
To the blue of heaven their blue-green tuftings soft

But swiftly in shuddering gloom the splendours fail,
As the harrying North-wind beareth
A cloud of skirmishing hail
The grieved woodland to smite:
In a hurricane through the trees he teareth,
Raking the bough and the leaves rending,
And whistleth to the descending
Blows of his icy flail.
Gold and snow he mixeth in spite,
And whirleth afar; as away on his winnowing flight
He passeth, and all again for awhile is bright.

Robert Bridges (1844 -1930)




(Photo from internet thanks to Biały Ług, Kędzierzyn-Koźle, Poland)



23 comments:

  1. That's a poem I didn't know, thank you.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to find something different for this year - after so many October 1st posts

      Delete
  2. New poem to me too. I love seeing the Redwings and Fieldfares when they arrive. September seems to have gone quickly this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Used to see them on the smallholding but never around here

      Delete
  3. Acton book sale coming up as well. October 25th 10-2 according to churches together website

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - with diesel prices now so high I'm cutting down on the miles

      Delete
    2. Understand completely- let me know if you are looking for anything in particular and I will look out for you.

      Delete
  4. It's definitely a north wind here at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another sunny dry day here- Tuesday and Wednesday were positively HOT

      Delete
  5. Halloween has been in the shops for well over a month hasn't it. It's currently fighting for space with Christmas food and decorations. I wish they would all appear properly chronologically, it must be very confusing for young children!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just realise I still have the September plate out - better get swapping

      Delete
  6. Stunning illustrations and photo, and I love the photo, TQ
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry meant to say I love the poem!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pleased to find something different for this year

      Delete
  8. A lovely poem! I used to enjoy getting together with Miranda and her mother when we all lived in New York!

    I can cope with the terrible gas prices so long as voters know who to blame in November. I just worry that people won't blame the party in power sufficiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult in rural areas when fuel prices rise. Have to cut mileage - luckily weather is good so no heating needed yet

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Me too- apart from the clocks changing back at the end of the month

      Delete
  10. October is a month of changing weather. Sunrise and sundown are significantly cooler. If the sun comes out it warms to 65-70 degrees F.
    The clusters of leaves have fallen to the ground green due to the Northeaster (wind and rain) we have just experienced. Dead branches fell too. There is lots of clean-up and I'll be shutting down the gardens soon.
    I love the poem!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the good weather we are having continues so no need for heating yet

      Delete
  11. I love this post. Especially the holidays and the beautiful bird images.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That whole book is full of lovely illustrations

      Delete
  12. What a lovely poem. The bird image is wonderful. We actually had a type of thrush at our bird feeder a couple of days ago.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete