02 October 2026

Oven Gloves

 Filling regular blog posts means sometimes they are very boring! and this one comes with a warning as this is the first of three posts about car-boot sale finds.........sorry.

I found a pair of brand new heavy duty oven gloves at the Sunday boot sale for £2. They looked just like the ones I like to use that come from the Lakeland company but the packaging wasn't  the usual  Lakeland labelling, although that little tag looked vaguely familiar.


I couldn't remember if I had a spare  in the cupboard already - they are something I've found at boot sales before, but at £2 I knew they were a good money saver. When I got home I put my glasses on and found a tiny note on the back saying they were made for Lakeland.
They'll last ages because they are good quality and are now £9.99 new. 



On the Lakeland website there are all sorts of oven gloves, some like mittens, one for each hand, some shaped like a glove puppet with an opening 'mouth', some made of silicon, and some coloured to match your kitchen. They range in price from £7.99 to £14.99. Or on Amazon there are over 1,000 different sorts listed! 

What sort of oven gloves do you prefer, or do you just grab a handy tea-towel? 



21 comments:

  1. Definitely a grab a teatowel person here! A good find though. I miss car boot sales, they seem to have dwindled but the charity shops are very good here luckily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your posts are never boring! I just use a tea towel. When the kids were little they used to regularly steal my oven gloves to make puppets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don’t trust the mitt style ones - I just know that in a rush I would just use one, and that would be the day the dish or tin would slip and I’d grab it with the bare hand on reflex! Same style as yours in my house always!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are the oven gloves that I always use. And this is a reminder that I need to get myself some new ones. I don't like ones that let the heat through, so I sometimes even take them with me when we go away on holiday,
    You got a good deal there. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. If it's a large item, oven gloves. Anything light usually a tea towel. Not a fan of oven mitts. You did get a bargain.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used that sort for ages, but they got dirty so quickly. For some years I've had the sort which have silicone "mittens" on each end. They rinse clean quickly if I get ragu or chicken fat splashed on them. I've also got a small silicone "shark" which I use for holding hot pot handles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A suggestion, if you have three "car boot" posts and think they will be boring, why not just combine them into one post, which might be more interesting and give some comparison as to what you find where.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That rather defeats the object of filling blog posts!

      Delete
  8. I disagree with 'anonymous ' .I like to read your posts every day, so keep doing what you're doing please!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have silicon gloves, one for each hand, and as they go back to the wrist, I don't get a burn as I sometimes used to when I was getting stuff out of the oven. I seem to have acquired the little silicon "bitey" ones from either Tam or Danny. You got a really good buy with your oven gloves. Lakeland are just such a good company with reliable products.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I use the same sort of gloves as you, I find them the safest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your posts are never boring. I use the mitten type oven gloves one for each hand. Currently I am using a really good pair from TKMAXX, very thick ones. They were about £4.99 I think, they have lasted a long time. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always use this style of oven gloves. Looked at mine last night and it's an embarrassment. I'll need to get a new one before any visitors see it. I'm sure it won't be a bargain like your one was.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I prefer those sort of oven gloves too, safer , because they are flexible and not slippy. I’m with the majority of your readers, I never find your posts boring.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice find and a bargain price for great quality.
    My pot holders, are silicone and others are quilted squares.
    They are okay but I would like to use something like you bought.
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  15. Several years ago my daughter gave oven gloves as a present to everyone at Christmas. They are industrial gloves used by factory workers that have to handle extreme heat and they seem to last forever. I can grab the hottest pots and don't feel the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No gloves for me. They are always too big so I don't feel like I get a good grip. My hot pads are square woven ones made by my granddaughter. They work just fine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you to everyone for comments about things as dull as oven gloves!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love car boot posts! Keep them coming!
    Penny
    Ps silicone mittens for me

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your daily posts are my favourite, so keep 'em coming, please! We use large square gloves, as my husbands hands are distorted with arthritis. I have searched everywhere for some new ones - my last ones came from Sonoma in the US - but I can't find any. So, the other day I bought one of those long ones that have a thick mitt at each end. I'm going to cut it in half, unpick the binding and then sew them back up so they look like they were meant to be two big mitts. Fingers crossed that will work.

    ReplyDelete