I've always bought clothes from charity shops whenever I can but I looked at a secondhand winter tunic top in the Barnardos Charity shop it was £8. I looked at a new tunic top in Asda and it was £12. I didn't buy either, I can manage with those I have for another year.
I looked at used tee-shirts in charity shops in the summer and they were often £6.
For the grand total of £5 I bought three new from the car boot sale. They are ex Original Factory Shop - a company that closed down last year. They'd been sold in their shops for £8 each. Someone had bought-up a lot of their stock.
Choosing what's best to do (planet or purse?) used to be easy - now not so much .

You have reminded me that I need to get out my winter clothes (sealed in vacuum storage bags) This unseasonably warm weather will end soon. You are right about making wise decisions when it comes to clothes buying.
ReplyDeleteIt's difficult to know what to do when buying clothes - I really don't like that task anyway.
DeleteGood morning Sue…Winters End Rambler aka Jackie, just tried blogger on my phone while waiting for work and I’m in…yippee! I agree charity shops have become way too expensive.
ReplyDeleteIt's odd about your blog. I've visited your latest post and no problems with it - so it's a mystery
DeleteBeing new should make them last for you much longer, which is good for both.
ReplyDeleteAlthough Original Factory shop clothes are not good quality so it's a problem
DeleteIt is all well and good to "only buy secondhand" clothes (or any items come to that), but someone has to buy them new in the first place for you to be able to buy them secondhand! There are many good reasons why someone passes on clothes, not just because they are wasteful or profligate - lost weight for example - and there is nothing wrong with buying them, but it is not realistic to say that this is the only thing others should so because if no one buys new, there is no secondhand. You did not say this outright I realise, but it is something to think about and there really is nothing wrong with buying, with consideration, some new clothes for yourself from time to time - it all helps the economy which is struggling at the moment!!!
ReplyDeleteBlimey Anon, what a long comment which I don't understand anyway. I don't think I said anything about anything "outright"?
DeleteCome back and explain.
Sue, I agree entirely with your comments on charity shop prices going up, you know something is wrong when you find Primark items for more than the original cost, nowadays I personally keep a very close eye on charity shop prices and try to be be selective when purchasing anything and where I source it. Jan
ReplyDeleteI don't think I've found any clothes from charity shops for a while. Haven't bought much new about from footwear this year. Looking for a bra online of the sort I've been buying for years and they no longer exist! Can't make bras last forever unfortunately - it's a problem.
DeleteWas talking about charity shops with my daughter last night. She runs hers on good labels and appeals to the young but of course on the other end of the scale will happily dress a homeless person for nothing. I think a charity shop is out to make money for their cause and there are some changes happening, for instance , Oxfam has gone into selling on line, though I'm not sure if it works out. She also thinks that many shops are moving into business units which are by supermarkets but have a steady footfall.
ReplyDeleteDoesn't actually answer your question, I don't buy a lot but always buy new though.
It used to be fun looking at clothes in charity shops but with prices often so close to new it seems pointless
DeleteI mostly get what I need from Charity Shops (on the principle that you can only spend your money once). I am fortunate that someone who buys Sea Salt clothes - in MY SIZE!! - donates them to the charity shop I check regularly, which just asks for donations rather than pricing things. I have treated myself to a half price sweatshirt from Cotton Traders as I couldn't find what I liked in a charity shop. I get my jeans from Primark as they fit as I like them to.
ReplyDeleteThere are a couple of Seasalt shops at the posh seaside locations in Suffolk but don't think I've been in.
DeleteI used to buy Sea Salt and have them posted to me in New Zealand, but their prices have gone up so high I don't bother any more. The brand is carried by a very expensive (wonderful) department store in Christchurch, and recently opened a small store in Auckland... I live halfway between those cities.... but the prices have become ridiculous.
DeleteBuying from the car boot may have saved the t-shirts from immediate landfill. Seems fine to me. Marty
ReplyDeleteIt seemed a good idea to snap them up when I saw them. Won't need anymore for a while now.
DeleteI agree it's becoming a balancing act and not an easy one. I am still buying from charity shops but looking very carefully for items which appear to be new or in excellent condition, sometimes even with their tags on. I have had to buy some new trousers recently because I just couldn't find anything in the charity shops which were good enough condition.
ReplyDeleteI guess mixing second hand and new and not over consuming is my attitude.
Penny
I do think the charity shops are pushing it a bit with some of their prices.
ReplyDeleteFor a few years I got by with clothes given to me by my m in law - cast offs๐
I have to buy at least one pair of jeans a year and this year I’ll need to replace a couple of long sleeve t shirts, I might get them in cotton traders because some, not all, of their stuff is made of heavier fabric and lasts longer.
My indulgence now is knitting my own jumpers, I enjoy the process and at least it’s different to what others are wearing ๐
Alison in Devon x
I am so glad that I got out of being a charity shop manager when I did. Happily I went from a well known charity with a very strict pricing policy, to running two shops for a 'local to us then' Hospice. I was able to bring all the good practices with me and completely disregard all the bad ones. Not letting things go for a reasonable price when they hadn't sold for a higher one, made no sense to me ever!
ReplyDeleteI usually buy a couple of good quality pieces per year and keep them until they fall apart, or donate them if I have gone off them for some reason and they are still in good condition. But I'm happy to buy anything from a charity shop if the price and the item make sense.
I rarely buy new, but you are right...even thrift store stuff has gone up in price. The way that I see it is that even if you are paying more than you used to for thrifted clothing, you are still saving stuff from the landfill. Buying new clothes at a carboot? You are still choosing the financially sensible thing.
ReplyDeleteWe had a lovely local charity shop which sold stuff in aid of our local cottage hospital. The prices were reasonable and I bought many very good quality items from there over the years and rarely came away empty handed. Alas, it closed last year leaving 4 other charity shops which seem to be competing to see who can charge the most. It is very rare that I spend anything in them now.
ReplyDeleteI like to buy quality and keep it for a long time. Buying used or brand new as long as it is quality works well for me.
ReplyDeleteToday, prices overall are high everywhere. Markdowns when things do not sell are not what they used to be. Something marked $20 might become $18. Markdowns used to be 30-40-50%.
Susan
Yeah, "fast fashion" has made even new clothing pretty cheap. I still try to buy used when I can!
ReplyDeleteWe buy 90% of our stuff from charity shops. We donate a lot to them too. Definitely prices have gone up but when I look at the new prices they are still significantly more. I'm very glad that there are people who will only buy new, they ensure I've got something to wear! I find charity shop shopping relaxing because I'm not under pressure to find something specific and at £5 or £6 if I decide after a few wears that I don't like it, I'm happy to donate it for someone else to benefit from. If I was paying £40 or £50 and didn't like it, I would be feeling sick at the waste of money.
ReplyDeleteWhen charity shops/second hand stores start selling things that would cost me more than purchasing them new I often wonder why I bother.
ReplyDeleteGod bless.