24 July 2026

Horse Chestnut Tree Mid July

Despite our "prolonged dry weather - one step below drought conditions"  here in Mid-Suffolk, the Horse Chestnut tree I've been following through the year is still looking green and not much leaf fall......compared to the Lime trees in the Churchyard near me which have lost so many leaves already, they blow along the road in the wake of the cars and trucks, looking more like Autumn.



The conkers are getting bigger and it looks as if there will be plenty to collect later, although I don't think children play conkers anymore - it's probably too dangerous for the 21st Century!


The blotches of the Guignardia Leaf Blotch fungus disease on the leaves  (luckily not affecting tree health)  don't seem to have increased too much from my June photos, perhaps the dry weather has stopped it spreading. 



The photos from earlier months are HERE for comparison.

Apologies for lack of replies to comments recently. Still not much to write about so I'll be back Monday.


2 comments:

  1. I fear it will be an early Autumn which makes the journey into winter seem so long then. We shall see, perhaps some rain will save the day. Meant to be having "some" - amounts vary - over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely chose a beautiful tree to follow the progress of. It must be at it's absolute peak in July and early August. I bet it would love a good drink though. 🌳

    ReplyDelete