I said "no more food shop posts" but the photos were there so might as well use them.....filling a blog post again.
Second food shop of the month was on the 11th
Asda first then Aldi. I'd put ice packs in my cold box in the car so the Asda things were OK while I did a whizz round Aldi before heading home.
There were so many things missing in Aldi, which is unusual. I don't know if it was because I was so early or their deliveries were late or the shortages talked of for months have finally happened.
1kg Nectarines £2.39; 6 apples £1.39; 6 ordinary meat sausage rolls £1.55; 2x dried prunes @ £2.49 = £5.58; 2 x decaf ground coffee @ £2.49 = £4.98; Extra Mature Cheddar 400g £2.49; Large pack of back bacon £4.69; Tortilla chips 57p; Pack 6 mini cheese bakes 99p; Peanuts from car boot sale £2. Not in the picture are two things from Asda as they went straight into the freezer ...... Flora cholesterol reducing spread £4.60 and Linda McCartney burgers £2.48.
Total Spend £31.71.
I bought 2 decaf ground coffee as they've not had any the last two Aldi visits. I wanted Aldi's pack of 6 cheese and onion rolls but they didn't have them or the vegetarian frozen sausage rolls either - so got ordinary meat ones which aren't so good (I put in freezer and use two at a time as the main part of a meal with vegetables, they are handy for a speedy meal). I usually get a pack of the cheap bacon bits from Asda, but they didn't have any so spent out more on a huge bacon at Aldi which I split into smaller packs before freezing. All in all my spend was more than it could/should have been.
Just to make things worse the car-boot sale peanuts had to be thrown out, even though they were still in date. As soon as I opened a pack I could smell they'd gone a bit rancid, and one mouthful told me I was right. (No point keeping them to take back as the guy selling isn't always there and it's really a case of 'buyer beware'.)
Running total for July £26.80 + £31.71 = £58.51
3rd Food shop on the 18th
All from Aldi. Carrots 44p; cherries 65p; mini potatoes 59p; nectarines £1.39p; 2 x peanuts @ 59p = £1.18p; pack 6 jammie cartwheels 99p; extra mature cheddar £2.49; multigrain crackers 85p; eggs £1.49; 4 pints semi skimmed milk £1.65p.
Lovely to get the cherries from the "supper six" fruit and veg offers, I love them but they are usually so expensive to buy. This packs usual price is £1.39.
Total spend £11.88
Running total £58.51 + £11.88 = £70.39
The 4th July shop has already happened and photo to follow......maybe. I thought that would be the last shop but the birds have munched their way through all the sunflower hearts very fast so I need to go into town on market day and that means paying £1 for car park and having to spend £5 in Asda to get the parking fee back so there will be an extra food shop after all.
Your cherries were a real bargain. Supplies seem to be very hit and miss at present, so I suppose the threatened shortages are materialising, and choice is becoming limited. Real First World problem!
ReplyDeleteCherries are such a treat now. I remember back in the 60s Mum would get a bag full from the market regularly during their season
DeleteThere are definitely gaps appearing in lots of the supermarkets at the moment. I have noticed Aldi not having any tinned salmon for quite a few weeks now, and they have shifted things round on the shelves so it looks as though it might not be back for a while. I bought Alan some of the cherries in Aldi yesterday, he loves them and adds them to his cereal in the mornings. I hate the stony little blighters. ;-)
ReplyDeleteHaven't noticed missing salmon, I only buy to make salmon/broccoli pasta bake.
DeleteLove cherries - a real treat for me.