It was a case of use them or lose them because last week there wasn't just 1 cucumber from the greenhouse...................
or two........................
or three......................
but four!
So I bought Cider vinegar and some celery..............
And turned the largest three cucumbers, one and half bottles of vinegar, some of the celery and a large onion into 5 jars of Sweet and Sour Pickles.
The recipe is on the separate Recipe page. I didn't put mustard seed into the mix this year. Trying to avoid things with seeds in.
Despite giving the 2 cucumber plants in the greenhouse plenty of water, they've started to shrivel. Perhaps the extreme heat has done them no good at all and there might be a shortage of cucs later.....typical.
********************************
Another bad day at Wimbledon. I think just two men through to the second round, I lost track when I abandoned watching for a while to watch the first two of the new series of Countdown. They used to take a break for summer but now roll right on. I worked out I've been watching this words and numbers game since about 1986. I had a small portable black and white TV in the kitchen and used to watch while getting a meal ready for the children..... it was on at 4.30pm back then. I didn't know what colour their set was until many years later!
Back Tomorrow






I enjoyed the Maya Joint and Serina Williams match last night, it was sad to Serina far from her best, Maya played a blinding game.
ReplyDeleteIt seemed strange for Serena to return after the years away. At least her children got to see her play - which what what she wanted I think.
DeleteI was at Wimbledon again yesterday - the highlight of the day being that the wine menus had been mistyped so glasses were £6.95 instead of £15.95
ReplyDeleteI may have indulged a little
A strange competition so far - I was routing for Taylor Townsend , but that was not to be - and whilst I agree that Serena is the greatest player I have ever seen , I did not feel her decision to return to Court was a wise one . She had an incredible reception and a standing ovation as she left , and will always be remembered at SW19
Typing from an Uber as I head for Day 3 and wondering what unexpected results will happen today
Miriam
I wonder if the wine menus will be the same or will someone have spotted the mistake?
Delete1pm and Just watched the mens doubles with Dan Evans knocked out. I'm hoping for Tsitsipas to beat Djokovic later - can't stand that man - going back to when he would have a time out for an injury, moaning and groaning and then come back twice as strong.
Apologies if he is one of your favourites!!
I'm hoping for the same result. Sadly, I don't think that Tsitsipas has ever beaten Djokovic even when he was at his best. The Wimbledon predictor has Djokovic as firm favourite to win. I shan't be watching.
DeleteUnlike last evening when Wawrinka and Berretini was an absolute joy and I didn't want either of them to lose.
Strange weather conditions have definitely affected veggie crops haven’t they.
ReplyDeleteI’ve decided to enjoy our home grown while it lasts and not worry, because like you say I think the season will probably be short.
Looking forward, nervously, to the England Football game later today 😀
Alison in Devon x
DeleteI'm hopeful for some green beans soon, been watering them well but not sure many of the flowers are setting. The cucumbers in the greenhouse might come back if it cools down a bit. I've been spraying as well as watering.
Thought I be in bed for the football but I see it's on earlier than some of the others - I may half watch with tennis.
Hope people who don't like sport can find something else to watch!
Sue, I can't find the recipe for the sweet and sour pickle cucumbers. Can you point me in the right direction please?
ReplyDeleteUnder the header photo is Recipes From A Suffolk Kitchen page, go into that and scroll down a little way.. I see its called Sweet Cucumber Pickle there rather than Sweet and Sour.
DeleteThank you, much appreciated.
DeleteYour cucumbers look good. Sweet and Sour pickles are wonderful. My grandmother made them except she called them Bread and Butter pickles.
ReplyDeleteThe heat is strong again today and every morning I water heavily. My cucumbers have flowers so I'm hopeful for a harvest in the coming months.
I made some Bread and Butter pickle last year which was just thin slices of cucumber, I like this variation as it has chunks and very tasty.
DeleteHope your cucumber flowers turn into Cucumbers, unless the weather cools down a bit I think it might be the end of my plants, even with much watering and spraying
We've only watched "Eight out of Ten Cats Does Countdown," never the original! But we like it! At least you have pickles now to tide you over a cucumber-less winter.
ReplyDeleteHave a look at the original - it's a good brain workout.
DeleteWe have an abundance of cucumbers, so I thought I would try and do some pickles. Never done it before. I hope I don't waste the cucumbers.
ReplyDeleteCucumber and celery sounds a very inviting mixture.
ReplyDeleteBarry's sister-in-law in Dorset is having a dreadful harvest this year. The only things doing anything at all are the beans. The peas cooked on the vine, the onions failed completely, the cucumbers are tiny - she's not happy.
Sounds like a good thing to do with all the cucumbers.
ReplyDeleteI imagine the heat does take its toll with the plants.
Wow, your way ahead of me, but then my cucumber plants are all outside. They have got flowers on now though. 😀
ReplyDelete