Thank you to whoever mentioned this authors crime fiction books. I thought I wasn't going to get into it, as there was a bit of a slow start and I was rather put off by one of the celebrities recommendations on the front cover..........
"I am insanely in love with George Cross" says Stephen Fry. Nearly enough to make me not start it!
This is yet another police person with problems, this time Aspergers, and he tends to have no empathy or realisation of how to interact with people. Yet his very insistence at routine and being precise with everything has made him a brilliant detective so his bosses put up with him - he gets results and makes them look good.
The Dentist is the first story in a series of eight so far which have been around with the covers below since 2020. Now the paperbacks have been reprinted with the cover above and similar.
From the library website
DS George Cross can be rude, difficult, and awkward with people. But his unfailing logic and dogged pursuit of the truth means his conviction rate is the best on the force. An outsider himself, having been diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder, he is especially drawn to cases concerning the voiceless and the dispossessed. Who was the unknown man whose weather-beaten body is discovered on Clifton Downs? Did the tragedy that led to a life on the streets also lead to his death? His police colleagues may dismiss it as a squabble among Bristol's homeless community, but Cross is not convinced. As he delves into the dead man's past, he becomes convinced that to catch this killer, he needs to solve a cold case murder from years before. A murder that someone has spent fifteen years thinking they've got away with. And they have no intention of letting one eccentric, socially awkward detective, change that now.
I was going to reserve the second - 'The Cyclist' - but couldn't as I already have the upper limit of how many we are allowed to reserve but I found Stowmarket Library had two others on their shelves so popped in to borrow them ......just in case I run out of reading before the mobile is round again. (There are already 13 (!) books ready for me to collect but the mobile visit is still 10 days away)
Hopefully it won't matter if they are not read in order. It's so good to hear about a 'new to me' crime author who has already written a few books.


Thank you for this. I'd not heard of him either!
ReplyDeleteLove finding a new-to-me author
DeleteOh enjoy! They are very good! I hope there's a next one on the way.
ReplyDeleteApril 2027 according to Fantastic Fiction
DeleteAha! Adding him to the list, thank you
ReplyDeleteYou're welcome!
DeleteI have just started reading The Bookseller on the libby library app and I'm hooked! The book club choice is going to have to wait (perhaps for ever...)
DeleteThese books are very good . I’ve read them all now & they don’t tail off as sometimes happens . His family & colleague relationships develop as you go along so I preferred to read them in order . He has a website which gives access to some free short stories of George too . Lucky you , you’ve got them all to read .
ReplyDeleteWendy in York
I shall try and get the second if possible although I've started the 6th already!
DeleteI am now on another JD Kirk, Better the Devil, which I read chunks of at the Fair over the weekend. The new author sounds good.
ReplyDeleteJD Kirk is an author I've been unable to get into - don't know why.
DeleteAnother new author to add to my list-thank you. Catriona
ReplyDeleteHope you can find one to try
DeleteThat sounds like a set of books just crying out to be made into a television series.
ReplyDeleteYes, another detective with issues to add to the others already on TV!
DeleteThis book reminds me of another: The Curious Case Of the Dog at Night-time. It really was difficult to start, but once you fell into the thought process of a neurodivergent boy, you began to see the world through his eyes. I thought it well done.
ReplyDeleteThe crime/mystery author I've been reading in order is Archer Mayor. All of the books are Vermont based with some spillover into New Hampshire where I live. It's interesting to recognize places. He spins quite a good tale too.
ReplyDeleteI've just put a hold on the first one at my library. Thanks for mentioning it!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteA lovely and engaging read! I enjoyed the way you shared your experience of discovering new books. Just as reading opens the door to new ideas, businesses can benefit from fresh perspectives by choosing to outsource medical research for reliable insights and better-informed decisions.
ReplyDelete