Did you know September 3rd was traditionally known as Nutting Day? No, I didn't either, until 2018 when I came across all this information and wrote this post.
So what can I find out about hazelnuts (Corylus avellana).
From a little book called 'Nature in Your Basket' by Richard Mabey..............
Pollen deposits suggest that between the retreat of the glaciers and the arrival of mature forest some 9,000 years ago, hazel was the commonest tree across much of Britain, and it must have been one of the most important sources of vegetable food for Stone Age hunter gatherers.
From the book 'Discovering the Folklore of Plants 'by Margaret Baker..............
The Celtic world treated hazel as a holy tree. Its nuts were connected with poetry, knowledge, love, fertility and childbirth. In the Scottish Highlands hazel was one of the nine sacred woods used in kindling needfire at Beltane. (Need-fire, or Wild-fire, a fire caused by friction is a term used in folklore to denote a superstition which survived in the Scottish Highlands until a recent date.)
Hazel is the wood often used for divining rods and if you stir jam with a hazel stick the fairies will not steal it!
The nuts were given the names of potential husbands and thrown into the fire by young girls. The loudest bang as the nut exploded or brightest flame showed which man she would marry.
Apart from the well known use of coppiced hazel for hurdle making, it was also used for baskets and the bast or stringy inner bark could be used as a tying material. The wood was used for carved walking sticks and broom handles and the oil from the nuts could be used as a polish. The nuts can be ground and added to flour for a flavoured pastry and like almonds can be used to make milk.
I'd try these ideas for cooking with hazelnuts.......if only the squirrels didn't take them before I get a look in.
That was 2018 before moving here.
I planted a Red Hazel in the border here in 2022, it's 6 foot tall now but every summer it soon reverts to green and only goes back to red leaves with the new spring growth. Whereas the huge Red Hazel in BiL's garden (from a seedling which popped up at the smallholding years ago) stays red-leaved most of the year. I think there's a draught along the side of my bungalow that hits the Hazel and causes it stress. It has about 4 pink tinged nuts on it this year - the first I've seen. I went along the footpath not far from home to see how many nuts on an ordinary Hazel tree that grows there - None!
Where I lived in Sussex we had many hazelnut coppices - not just for the wood, but also as pheasant cover for winter shoots. But - we almost never got to harvest any nuts because the grey squirrels always got there first!
ReplyDelete