Monday 27 March 2023

Day 21 + Seedlings

I've always grown some leeks from seed - they are so expensive to buy from the supermarket in winter and well worth growing. I had a fail last year when all the plants got trampled on when the new oil tank was moved in or they were eaten by pigeons - not sure which. I bought new seeds for this year and will sow later.

Then I spotted trays of seedlings outside the pet/garden shop in Diss and thought it would be good to have some earlier leeks too. They were £1.90 for these below which is much cheaper than buying from one of the garden seed catalogues where they are £7.95 for 20 plants.


I gently lifted the seedlings from these pots and teased them separate to re-pot as they are still too small to go out. There were 26 in total.

Meanwhile indoors all 8 Aubergine seedlings are growing but only 2 pepper seeds germinated so I sowed a few more..............and then five more appeared from the first sowing! I may have too many peppers! Yesterday the tomato seeds went into the electric propagator - just 2 varieties this year and both have been grown before. Usually I try something new and I do more different sorts so I hope there's no crop failure. Just Cucumbers left to do indoors now.

Meal 21 was a Fish Pie. Using a couple of small pieces of the frozen White Fish (which is actually Basa), I poached them in milk/water then used it to make a white sauce and added a handful of the mixed vegetables and a hard boiled egg, plenty of pepper and some parsley. Topped with mashed potato that I'd cooked up in the first week and frozen. With a little cheese sprinkled over before final cooking.

 Now considering I'd been avoiding mashed potato since Colin died (he loved mash and I don't) this was a strange thing for me to make. But it was the obvious way to use a couple of pieces of the Asda Value Range White Fish which were 7 small pieces for £2.50.

It certainly needed the black pepper and a little salt and could have done with more cheese too. But it was good and very filling which is what's needed if you are trying to make meals without spending too much.



Running Total £64.25 + £2.20 box of 8 decaf frothy coffees (up 20p from last week) for the end of third week = £66.45

There are two things here from the Value Ranges that I will use again, the fish and the bag of grated cheddar cheese. I've used the cheese for so many things and still some left, lasting much longer than a block of cheese (mainly because I'm not tempted to eat it by the slice like I do with a block of Extra Mature cheddar!)

Did you watch the little bit of annual tradition on TV yesterday? The University Boat Race is something I've watched as long as I can remember, always supporting Cambridge as it's just over the county border from Suffolk. 

Back Tomorrow
Sue


22 comments:

  1. Oh Sue! Thank you. I now know I am not the only person who finds cheese expensive if I don't grate the whole block because I can nibble the lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very bad with cheese - love every sort there is.

      Delete
  2. I can't keep up with the world at the moment. We usually watch the Boat Race, but completely missed it this year. I hope Cambridge won.
    Term ends this week and I hadn't realised that until the weekend.
    Fish pie is very tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cambridge won everything - the mens, ladies, second 8's and lightweight although those last ones weren't on TV

      Delete
  3. Do your peppers grow well outdoors? We tried them in our greenhouse once but it seems we probably didn't get enough sunlight that year so they were a complete failure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried outside always in greenhouse or polytunnel - even then they need lots of warm weather.

      Delete
  4. WintersEndRambler27 March 2023 at 08:58

    Now don't get me started on cheese...hubby would help himself to the whole block if he could...he loves to grate some on just about anything...whilst I'm looking on and calculating how much I need for the rest of the week. Putting it in a tub appears to have momentarily foxed him though! Gawd help us if he'd had to stick to rations...however he may well have been allocated extra due to his work. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just slice bits off - very greedy with cheese but have managed not to try the ready grated as it's covered with the potato starch which is off putting

      Delete
  5. I grow very little from seed these days, our local pet shop sells starter tray like yours above, which I find better, in stead of having loads of one plant, it allows me to have a great mixture. With the cost of compost, it's not an expensive way to start growing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are right and bags of compost have gone up in price again. I need to look at the Diss pet shop more often to see what they will have later but I don't go there every week. Was pleased to find there were 26 seedlings there

      Delete
  6. Yes I did watch the Boat Race - I always do. As for you saying your pie could have doe with more cheese on the top - I find sometimes that grated cheese becomes tasteless when put on top of mash - I think you need a really strong cheese to survive the taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really good races yesterday - looked a bit choppy on the Thames!

      Delete
  7. That's how I bought my leeks last year, as tiny little seedlings and they worked out a treat. Your fish pie looks lovely, I have found the frozen fish to be quite tasteless, as you say lots of pepper needed, and a good sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Basa pieces have almost no flavour at all - thank goodness for adding them to Curry and the fish pie.

      Delete
  8. Good grief! £7.95 for 20 leeks. I don't think I have to say. You could buy several packets of seeds for that and have quite a variety of veg. I know you've got to pay for somebody to be sowing the seeds and bringing. Come on for you. But goodness, that seems extortionate.
    Cheese is my big downfall. It doesn't matter how it comes into my house block, sliced, grated. It all goes the same way. I swear I hear it calling my name every time I step into the kitchen.
    Deb in Wales.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apologies for the errant grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc, due to my dictaphone.

      Delete
    2. Or in the Kings seeds plants catalogue £7.15 for 12 plug plants!!

      Delete
  9. Your seedlings are all doing very well. The garden will be producing lots of vegetables for you. Will you plant everything in the greenhouse? A nice fish meal is always good. I will have to try frozen fish again. My first purchase was not very tasty and carried to much salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aubergines,peppers,tomatoes and cucumbers will be in the greenhouse, everything else outside

      Delete
  10. We love fish pie! Do you still add a lump of butter and a little milk when making mashed potatoes to put in the freezer? I always freeze left-over vegetables to put in soup but have never thought of freezing potatoes.

    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just put the mash in without any extras - not my favourite thing at all!

      Delete
  11. Cheese is one of the things that seems to rise in price every week.

    Your fish pie looks very nice and you are doing an excellent job with your experiment.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete