I was moaning last Saturday that the unrelenting heat and the disinclination to do anything was worrying and depression must Not be allowed to creep in just because the weather is too hot to do much.
So I've been trying to be positive all week and it's been a tad cooler - except for Thursday and yesterday, which helped.
But annoying things kept happening............
- The greenhouse door was very stiff to slide open and when I felt along the metal track at the top I found what I thought was a stone, but it turned out to be a small washer and nut and the next thing I knew the door was right off it's top track, I lost the nut in the grass and had to lift the door off the bottom track and lean it against the fence. I managed to find a tiny nut and washer and the runner wheel was just on the ground but it needs more than two hands to get another bit off so the door can slide back on again - help needed from BiL sometime. Hope we don't get strong winds to get into my door-less greenhouse and break the glass!
- One of my plastic watering cans has sprung a leak - seeping out of the joints on the base if it's left standing with water in it. I've got another and a heavier metal one so it won't be replaced.
- The indoor slip on shoes/sandals that I wear all the time fell apart and luckily I'd bought a new pair online in the sales last year right ready. They are one of the only things I can wear without arch supports.
However...............trying to be positive................
1. The garden is full of baby Blue Tits and Goldfinches chitter chattering again - this must be their second hatchlings of the year. I'm glad I carried on feeding the sunflower hearts as there's probably a shortage of food for them with everywhere being so dry.
2. I got the two scrapbooks out and went through my loose stamps and pictures to fill up some more pages. Each page has a theme rather than just random and it's sort of old fashioned scrapbooking rather than the newer idea.
![]() |
| Old bikes and motor cycles |
![]() |
| Books and reading |
![]() |
| Wartime |
![]() |
| Night and sunset |
![]() |
| People and chairs |
![]() |
| Post |
It's nearly five years since I started playing with scissors and glue and I like how the pages look, there are still spaces in some places to fill but only 4 more completely blank pages. I'll need to look out for another cheap watercolour book or scrapbook sometime.
3. I'm thinking about hobbies that I used to do and maybe get going on them again - it's been ages since I spotted a half-finished tapestry kit at a boot sale or charity shop - they used to turn up quite regularly. So maybe I'll have a look on ebay to see what's there.
4. I contacted friends in Essex who I'd not heard from for months to see if they were OK and arranged for them to visit later this month.
5. Had the whole week hardly going out and without even going out for shopping (although I will today) and didn't feel depressed at all!
Being Grateful
- For the gift of windfall cooking apples from a friend at exercise group, although they were a bit wormy and only made two small bags for the freezer - (mustn't look a gift
horseapple in the mouth!) - Very glad I didn't go out to the shops early Wednesday morning or to the midweek boot-sale as there was an accident on the A140 which closed the road for several hours, even getting a mention on the Radio 2 travel news and sending all the traffic passed my bungalow to jam up through the village - where there is also a road closed out of the village for water main work. Goodness knows how the huge lorries managed the other small road out of the village.
- Managing to keep cool inside in that extra hot heat of Thursday and Friday.
- Thankful that there have been no field fires nearby - Feel so sorry for the people in the West Midlands who have lost their homes.
Have a good weekend - it will be another quiet one here, more European Athletics Championships on TV to watch later after I've been out for shopping.






No comments:
Post a Comment