...................not a lot.
But I like bullet points!
- I got a quote from a local company to clean out the gutters after a downpour a couple of weeks ago sent water cascading everywhere. They will be round Monday. A chunk of money that will be worth it.
- The rain has turned the grass green again and needing cutting - haven't needed to do that many times since spring.
- Also got a local bloke to do a quote for sorting out the patio. Getting rid of the old uneven slabs that have weeds between everywhere and replacing with new and then using the old slabs to make a proper path down the side of the bungalow. It will involve a mini digger etc etc. Sounds as if it might be expensive, haven't heard yet - I think he might not want the job!
- Managed a bit more of the usual Autumn garden clearing, now have a heap of stuff waiting to go in the bin but hopefully BiL will be round to cut the horrible Yew hedge at the front soon so I'm keeping the garden waste bin empty until he's been.
- One of my Keep Moving Group friends brought some pears from her tree along and I came home with a few and made a delicious pear crumble, I like this more than an apple crumble.
- After saying, on the blog post about the darning book, that I'd not had to do much mending lately I discovered the seams on a pleat on my shorts/skirt were pulling apart, didn't need the darning mushroom - just a few stitches to make sure they last yet another summer.
- Colin would have loved the recent cricket test matches, he used to listen to Test Match Special on the radio. I've been watching the 1 hour highlights on 5 and England bowlers have been doing really well. I always 'tell' him at the end how much he would have enjoyed the matches.
- Also on 5 - but on their catch up channel I've watched season 6 - the final season from 2022 - of the US drama Bull which has been released to us here a while after the other five series. I'm glad it had a good proper ending rather than just stopping.
There is a new addition to my bookshelves.
EGD made it at Brownie Camp in the summer holidays and gave it to me. Mrs Tiggywinkle with a teasle for her head.
Hope you have a good weekend, I will be back Monday.

Mrs Tiggywinkle is lovely. Hope your home and garden maintenance goes well, always good to get those things out of the way before winter starts. We were fortunate to be invited by a neighbour to pick their pears while they're away on holiday. I like pears too, especially eaten with a cheese like Lancashire or Cheshire.
ReplyDeletePenny
I also bought some pears from Aldi - they are rock hard - picked too soon I think
DeleteI planted a pear tree at Ynyswen - just one of the cheap from a supermarket one - and when it grew it would overwhelm me every summer - ALL the fruit ripened at once! Better to be given some, and you can cope with those. I am fortunate that a couple of my friends have cooking apple trees, so I will soon be benefitting from them. I've had some of Pam's windfalls already.
ReplyDeleteLike you, I talk to Keith as you do to Col, telling him how much he would have enjoyed a film or history programme.
It sounds like you need to get a couple of quotes for your patio if the first chap seems like he doesn't want the job and will quote high because of that. Good move with the guttering - I have had hedgehog gutter leaf blocker put in as the roof has moss on it (had that removed too). It's made a difference. Lots of trees round the house and the sycamore and beech leaves get everywhere.
Mrs Tiggiewinkle is cute.
Wasps are the reason I've never had many plums anywhere I've lived. Think I might try one of those mock wasp nests next year if there are any on my little tree here
DeleteHaving our patio slabs relaid properly, and a proper path at the side of the property was not inexpensive - but really worth it. Easier to maintain, and much safer for both young and old. A long term investment. I hope you can find a good company to do it for you at a fair price.
ReplyDeleteThe problem is access for a skip for the stuff dug out . I'll try a few other companies - hoped to use someone really local
DeleteMrs Tiggywinkle is really sweet. We have a chap coming round Tuesday of next week to trim back some of the taller shrubs and clean out the guttering, which really need doing, we are surrounded by trees. Hope you can get a cheaper quote for your patio work, sadly anything like that is expensive but so worth getting done. Regards Sue H
ReplyDeleteThe patio gets so black that even pressure washing doesn't clean it, really need renewing. Hope I can find someone to do it
DeleteJust love Mrs Tiggywinkle,she is 😊. Pleased that your EGD is a Brownie, carrying on the family tradition. Carole R
ReplyDelete5 Grandchildren = 2 Brownies, 1 Beaver and 1 Cub Scout - the other one is still too little!
DeleteJust started reading The Dentist the DS George Cross book you recommended. I'm really enjoying it and will look out for others in the series.
ReplyDeleteThe cooler weather is encouraging us to make a start on getting the garden ready for winter but ,here in the South of France we are heading to temperatures of 33°C again next week! Sue M (Syrahsuzie)
I'm glad you are enjoying the book. I read the 6th after the 1st but really want to go back and get the 2nd before I read more!
DeleteWhat a lovely gift! Hope you get a quote soon-we recently gave up waiting for the landscaper to come and do ours as I think it’s too small a job for him. Catriona
ReplyDeleteI think the access might be a problem here but hopefully I can find someone to do it as the patio gets so slippery
DeleteWhat a nice gift from your granddaughter. Those home maintenance jobs that no one seems to want, what a nuisance that can be!
ReplyDeleteI love a mix of apples and pears in crumble, so far this year I’m having to buy both ☹️
Alison in Devon x
I think if I needed something huge done - like tarmac or paving all the front drive there would be no problem, but something smaller no one wants.
DeleteWhat a sweet gift from your granddaughter!
ReplyDeleteI'm enjoying The Dentist, too. Thanks for mentioning it.
Lovely to find a new series to read, 8 already and one more next year.
DeleteAww, lovely Mrs Tiggywinkle, what a nice gift. I don't know why, but I can't get into Bull at all, Alan really likes it. I'm currently watching Luther from the beginning again, it's on iPlayer.
ReplyDeleteHave to admit I'd quite had enough of Bull by the end.
DeleteIt's an age since I watched Luther - Idris Elba is brilliant actor, I wonder how much I would remember if I watched it again.
I know exactly what you mean about talking to Col. My husband passed 22 months ago. Even though I am involved with another man, I still miss him. It isn't overwhelming like it was, but several times in the last 2 months or so I have rushed into another room to tell him something, but he wasn't there. Very, very sad. I like to think he already knows those. He will always be a part of my life, especially when I look at our children. He was such a good dad.
ReplyDeleteWhat a clever child to make a Mrs. Tiggywinkle! I've never seen a hedgehog, they must be really cute.
ReplyDeleteCeci
Mrs. Tiggywinkle is adorable. Your EGD is very creative and did a nice job making her.
ReplyDeleteGetting home projects done is never easy, especially if it is a smaller project. I had to combine two projects to get a contractor to do the work.
Your new patio will be lovely and creating a path using the older blocks sounds ideal.
Your pear crumble sounds delicious.
Susan