Saturday 15 June 2024

Saturday 15th

 Flowers on the bookshelf this week have been a few of the smaller side-spikes from a Foxglove, a couple of pieces of the Spirea and the tall purple spikes are something that popped up un-announced in the shingle bits of the pathway down the side of the bungalow. I think it's Toadflax, which can be invasive in some places but OK where it is now.



Luckily I picked these before the weather changed for the worse on Monday - blimey it was rough, wind and rain - awful weather for June. Also remembered to add the Ladybird book "What to Look for in Summer' to the bookshelf seasonal display.

During the week I had a man out to do a measure of the living/dining room as I want to get rid of the horrible brownish carpet, that sucks the light out of the room and replace with some wood veneer hard flooring. Then I'll get a nice big rug for the living room half of the room. I've lived with the carpet for 3 years and had enough of it.
I'd originally planned to have the patio sorted out this year but the man I got a quote from in October has dropped out of sight and uncontactable so I'll spend the money on the living room instead. I'll have to live with the odd patio slabs and the weeds coming through the joins and the rough bit where the old heating oil tank stood, for a while longer!

I was pleased to find more tennis on TV this week as the grass court season in this country got started with the Nottingham Open on BBC red button (although it kept having to stop for rain of course) while at the same time I enjoyed reading more library books one was the Persephone book  - The Village by Marghanita Laski. An interesting look at the class system that clung on in village life just after the war. The details from their website is HERE. Then I whizzed through The Last Word by Elly Griffiths - one of her lighter crime books but still a good read. She's got a new series on the way about a time travelling detective, sounds curious.

Interesting election stats heard this week..............

70% of American voters don't want to vote for either of the Presidential candidates

58% of British voters think all politicians lie to get themselves out of a tight corner 

Oh Dear.

Back Next Week
Sue


29 comments:

  1. Marganitha Laski is a beautiful writer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First I've read of her books - not sure about reading any others- they don't appeal

      Delete
  2. I remember hearing an American person being interviewed on tv. He was genuinely amazed when Richard Nixon was accused of lying. He could not believe that a president had lied.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! They are all the same- then, now and in every country

      Delete
  3. there's a pinkish version of that purple spiky flower too. I think it is a type of Toadflax. Pretty but a bit 'niffy too, when you dig it up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just got purple appearing here - don't need to be rid of it where it is at the moment - will hold my nose when i Do!

      Delete
  4. Don't your garden flowers look wonderful in that vase together? The colours of the flowers and the bright green leaves complement each other perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The £1 car boot vase has become a favourite already. Everything looks good in it

      Delete
  5. Yes, it is toadflax. We have purple and pink but have never seen the white version. Bees absolutely love it and it’s very easy to pull up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has just appeared this year, luckily no where that matters at the moment

      Delete
  6. It's cold this morning. We're considering lighting the fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thunder storm here a while ago - crazy weather

      Delete
  7. You could always power wash your patio slabs and point the mortar yourself? I made a patio with secondhand slabs for nothing last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are talking to a 69 year old woman with dodgy knees and a creaking back!!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful flowers-my favourite flowers are pink and white. We have ordered new double glazing which will be fitted at end of July and then there will be new blinds needed too. Rotten weather here today with thunder forecast. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to replace my bedroom window sometime . It is double glazed but doesn't shut tight and I'd like to have a small window to open just an inch rather than only 2 big ones - not the best idea for a bungalow

      Delete
  9. Nice plans for your flooring.
    Interesting stats about current politics, what a mess it all is.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really don't like the carpet at all - a horrible colour

      Delete
  10. I had a similar issue with a man who quoted me for a new garden gate. I can't get hold of him now.
    Your flowers are beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he said he was returning to work after illness so I think maybe he took on too much work and had to give up.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for visiting! What a beautiful arrangement. Do you find 'wild' flowers drop more quickly though? I have an Elly Griffiths in my library pile at the moment. I enjoy her books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure why I'd never found your blog before.
      The foxgloves didn't last long indoors. I have three roses inside now

      Delete
  12. Love the colour of the flowers in your arrangement. They must look very pretty in your room. Good luck with the carpet, it sounds like changing it will make a huge difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard floors are much easier to care for too.

      Delete
  13. Lovely flowers in your vase. Even though DT has been convicted on 34 counts, three quarters of his supporters still support him. When he was convicted, people donated millions again. Crazy! Your new wood floor sounds excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The way politicians behave it is no wonder that people don't know who to vote for.
      We find out on July 4th and you will find out in November!

      Delete
  14. I read something by a fellow who commented that DT was using the trial to distract his cult. Now that the trial is over, he has nothing to distract them, and his flaws and word salad once again takes center stage. Not a good look for him. His financiers are the ultra rich, and while he's seemingly pulling in fortunes, it's from a relatively small pool of cult members. In other words, big money does not equal big cult numbers.

    But, it IS crazy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I live in the US and can't imagine who would vote for either one.

    ReplyDelete