Saturday 29 June 2024

Halfway Through A Frugal Year? but Could Be Subtitled............

............................where I spent money in June!

Income was the usual two pensions, and interest from savings and outgoings were the normal too Council Tax, Electric, Phones and Broadband, 2 lots of diesel for the car, household needs and food.


image from google freepik

It would have  been a  frugal month if I didn't keep deciding to have work done! I've found it impossible to get out of the habit of always planning what improvements are needed to house and home.......it's what we did for 40 years. This time it's the living room/dining room flooring that's planned and half paid for. I really didn't like the carpet the previous owners had down, a horrible colour and and very impractical for a room that's used for dining and with the 'back door' to the garden - used many times a day in Summer. The hard wood veneer flooring I wanted was out of stock (typical!), and the floor layer man very busy so the work won't be done for a while.


Personal spending was a bit extravagant despite no second hand books or flowers....................... 
A proper haircut started my spending and a new Puzzler magazine as I was fed up with only doing Sudoku's  and then the price of my Cappuccino  coffee and cheese scone treat is creeping up - had the most expensive so far in the Moments Coffee Shop in Stowmarket one day when the Osier in the church was closed.  Moments is also a charity run coffee shop raising money for St Elizabeth Hospice in Ipswich so at least it's for a good cause but £5.90 for the two things is getting a bit silly. I shall be disappointed if I have to stop these treats - one of the saddest things about being widowed is there's no one to say " do you want a cuppa?" 

I called in at the nearest picture framing place and he cut me a mount for that little print on a card that I bought from the Art Exhibition. It was just £2.50 and then  a few days later I found the frame mentioned the other day from the car boot sale. I still had some sticky velcro fixer things in the drawer so the new little picture is up on the wall and I'm pleased to say there is still room for one or two more.


When friends were here they asked me where all the pictures have come from. There are seven from boot sales, 2 stitched by me, two prints from an art exhibition plus the new card also from art sale. The owl and hare prints are annoying me - they need to be level or more uneven.

Exercise group numbers have dropped alarmingly and we may have to pay £2 each rather than £1.50 just to cover hall hire. Luckily I managed to find one quiet-ish session for a swim - hadn't been for months, every time I've gone online to book it's looked to be much too busy to be enjoyable. I struggled with swimming after the long lay-off so really need to get back to it again. Hopefully it will be quieter when the pool in Diss re-opens after it's makeover. 
Then when I thought I'd spent enough on myself I had to send for some new insoles for my summer shoes as the ones that were in them kept getting creased and not laying flat.

Garden spending was supposed to be zero except for the District Council garden waste bin annual payment but I got carried away by an ad that popped up for some Kale plants from T & M. As the sweetcorn plants are doing so badly due to the weather I decided I'd put in a few Kale for winter beside the sweetcorn. They are due to arrive in July. The sad looking sweetcorn is surrounded by fences to keep Crumble cat out and covered by netting at the moment and is just not growing. Usually it romps away - doubt I'll get cobs this year. I got another bag of compost too as I was right out.

House expenses apart from half the flooring were new printer inks and window cleaner.


There were a few penny saving things to make up for the spending

  • Lots of strawberries from BiL 
  • and even more Raspberries from here...and there really are lots!
  • Cucumbers ready to eat and also made into Sweet and Sour Pickles for winter
  • First tomato - just one so far!
  • Reading good library books for free
  • No second-hand books or flowers bought
  • Home made bread from the bread machine- I'm now doing 50/50 wholemeal and white flour - it's turning out very well. 
  • Having cancelled the Radio Times subscription as the price had shot up, I'm now just picking up one of the cheap TV scheduling magazines - not as good as the RT - no Radio schedule - and too much soap stuff but a big saving.
  • Running out of Ecover Clothes Washing liquid  so I sent for the £1 offer from Smol of samples to try. They seem to be fine so I'll be subscribing to a regular delivery as I have for their dishwasher tabs. Still using some washing soda crystals in the wash as it's good for killing any smells and keeping the machine clean.
  • Only using dishwasher every other day
  • Couple of things found at boot sales to use for Christmas gifts.


This week I have been grateful for - 

  • Sunshine and warmth for a week.
  • Tennis on TV - I've loved watching all the up and coming at the Wimbledon Qualifiers last week
  • Having savings for when I get home improvement ideas!
  • The bread machine, which I'm now using for all sorts of bread. 

I'm really looking forward to Wimbledon for the next fortnight. Then it's just another two weeks after that and the Olympics starts. Tour De France on TV as well........... Summer of Sport 2024 .........bring it on!

Have a good Weekend 
Back soon
Sue

35 comments:

  1. I get my radio schedules from the BBC sounds page on the Internet. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds) And it's easy to "listen again" if I miss something. I use https://www.radiotimes.com/ too admittedly not as full as the magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mornings and nights are my radio listening times - usually sending me off to sleep with something boring on Radio 4!

      Delete
  2. It’s never ending, isn’t it? I was looking at plants, yesterday and comparing prices with last year’s…and goodness me, they’ve rocketed!
    One thing that I’m trying to do is buy less compost and make my own. In time, I might make enough!
    Like you, I’m looking forward to Wimbledon and the Olympics.
    Have a good weekend! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to make compost but it's never good enough - it's hard work trying to turn it. I fancy one of the tumbling compost makers but the price is silly

      Delete
  3. My compost bin was quite low so I've been 'feeding' it up and will get the benefit next spring, I hope. In the meanwhile, I am also out of compost.
    What a shame about the corn - it usually romps away, doesn't it? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweetcorn is a disaster! and I can only think it must have been for the dull weather until last week

      Delete
  4. I know you read many books from your public library but have you checked out their online offerings? Most UK public library services offer BorrowBox or Libby. Even if you prefer not to consume ebooks or audiobooks, they may offer magazines. I am thrilled to be able to peruse the RT on my tablet each week.

    I took the RT (and TV Times when you needed both - a weekly luxury when mortgage interest rates were 15%) for about 25 years. As the cost went up I realised that lack of time while working meant I wasn’t having time to read it properly therefore cancelled it. I still buy the double Christmas issue.

    It isn’t quite the same on the tablet as flicking through the print copy, but it is good enough for the price! Obviously paid for by taxes but it also means more usage statistics for our beleaguered library services.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like having a paper copy that can be left to look at anytime without turning on laptop

      Delete
  5. Not sure if it would be your thing but if you download the Libby app you can read the radio times on line for free. It’s a library app and you register by using your local library membership. I found it a bit fiddly to register for but there is access to lots of different monthly magazines. Carol … Lifeofpottering 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm Ok with the cheap TV mag. I like to have it to pick up anytime

      Delete
  6. We're recording the Tour de France to watch at our leisure. I'll watch Wimbledon so long as there's no grunting and the Olympics will be an easy pick as it's on our time scale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you could always turn the sound off for wimbledon but put subtitles on to see what's happening commentary wise !

      Delete
    2. I don't think the grunting/shouting is as bad as it was a few years ago. I shall be watching some Tour - for the scenery but mostly Wimbledon

      Delete
  7. I am also looking forward to Wimbledon and read this morning that the Murray brothers have drawn a wild card for the doubles. I truly hope this is Andy’s goodbye as it’s unbearable to see him constantly punishing himself to overcome injury. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's horrible to watch Andy playing when it's obvious he is in pain. He can retire now having done so well for so long

      Delete
  8. I love these round ups, lots of savings in there and reminds me that I need to focus on the positives , especially when I'm feeling a bit sorry for myself!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always trying for small savings so I can choose to spend elsewhere. It's a way of life after so long - 45 years of thrifty!

      Delete
  9. Pity about the sweetcorn....I wouldn't call kale an acceptable substitute for it but that's just my personal preference - I dislike kale!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sweetcorn is a disaster. Still only about 9 inches tall when it should be two foot tall by now.
      Kale is useful for winter greens. I like it. Will need to protect from critters when it arrives

      Delete
  10. I keep reminding myself, I can't take it with me, if I need it, buy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 3 families waiting for an inheritance!

      Delete
  11. There is always something isn't there. I thought I was doing well this month, but I've just had to order some of Lily's new school uniform, ready for September.
    It will be nice for you to have the flooring you want. And it sounds like it will be much more practical as well. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been annoyed with the carpet for 3 years!

      Delete
  12. Making home improvements is important to me too. Your new wood floors will be lovely. Your art wall is looking good and I like your latest addition. Consider lining the hare and owl under the geese. Create a spaced vertical line: geese, hare and owl to define the left perimeter of your display. Just an idea. My house staining project will likely continue through the Summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to paint the frames black as well as moving those two prints

      Delete
  13. A small money saver: As I had all of the ingredients in store, I decided to replace 2 tablespoonsful of bread flour with 2 tablespoonsful of curry powder in my machine to use sliced instead of buying naan bread. Turned out well so will now try cumin bread and chilli bread. Pollie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been without naans for a while and haven't missed them much. I used to make them when I had a gas grill but electric doesn't work so well

      Delete
  14. I make various breads and I do like a whole wheat and white mix. And various other flours, including chickpea, loaded with protein, good for most uses.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please keep up with your home improvements. I recently watched a couple of programs where the occupants had just let things slide and the results were scary to say the least. Enjoy your garden produce :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always had bright ideas for improving and Colin did all the work! Poor man - he didn't moan often

      Delete
  16. Even though home improvements are costly, they really do make living in your own home easier and up the resale value. You do plan ahead so that is great.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like a closed in porch over the front door next!

      Delete
  17. It's always nice to have a little treat. I really like the pictures on the wall. The framing job on the latest looks lovely. I'm sure the exercise class will pick up with people after the summer. People always seem to have a lot going on over summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are right about the exercise group - I would miss it if we stopped

      Delete
  18. We've loved the tennis too..coffee out is something we'll never stop.. love the coffee, the feeling in the cafe and a cake now and then, worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete