Friday 28 June 2024

The June Library Book Photo + Reading The Seasons

 My third book of Reading the Seasons for Summer was Stephen Baxter's Historical Fantasy - Bronze Summer. 


Thumbnail for Bronze summer


 This is the second in The Northland Historical Fantasy series. Imagining that England is still attached to the continent where what we call Doggerland was the home of the people who had built a wall so tall that the North Seas are kept at bay and they have become rich from the fertile lands . 
Generations on from the first book and the  people of the Mesolithic period, this is now a different Bronze age. Volcano eruptions have changed the climate and have brought years of poor crops. The people of the drought affected Mediterranean areas are looking west to the wealthy Northlanders and war is brewing.
It was a very confusing read and I didn't enjoy it as much as the first but it is good to read a totally different genre to my normal now and again.

 Collected from the library van this time, just seven books that I'd reserved online.


Left to right - a cookery book that I think I saw mentioned somewhere. The latest by Kristin Hannah, I brought home her book 'Home Front' last month but didn't like the subject so didn't finish it. 'Made for Murders' by Peter Tremayne is a collection of short stories by this prolific writer. 

 Next is a non-fiction book that might be a bit heavy going. It might get read for my Reading The Seasons thing or it might not. Then I know I'll love 'The Comfort of Ghosts' by Jacqueline Winspear although it's the last in the Maisie Dobbs series which is sad. Then there is one more Donna Leon and finally 'Reasons to stay alive' by Matt Haig, this must have been mentioned somewhere as it's not something I would usually read. 


Last month I brought home these below plus two non fiction and some for the Summer Reading Challenge. I still have some here unread.


Those I did read are on the Books Read 2024 page. 'Close to Death' by Anthony Horowitz, 'Munich Wolf' by Rory Clements were both brilliant.

Back Soon
Sue 

18 comments:

  1. It's always interesting to see what others read and to get book recommendations, thanks Sue. Does your library charge for reservations? Ours charges £1.20 per book, which I think is a bit steep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No it's all free - thank goodness. They use it as a way of moving books around from one library to another rather than doing time consuming stock exchanges which is what we had to do when I worked in libraries

      Delete
  2. What a great selection again. I’ve been reading some from my kindle because I bought them several years ago and then ignored them! Hoping to do some garden tidying today after shingles jab part 2. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to be constantly cutting stuff back in the garden and filling the garden waste bin/compost bin. - I'd rather be reading!

      Delete
  3. When I saw Reading the Seasons I half expected something different. I'll say it anyway, it's cool enough outside today and with that brisk breeze feels quite Autumnal this morning. That's me reading the seasons today! Enjoy your reading. I wish I could hold a book still enough to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting that the mobile libraries have a different system for ordering books, like Sooze above I think £1.20 perbook in the ordinary libraries is steep. The batch cookbook looks interesting, hopefully you'll review it if you think it's worthwhile.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all depends on who runs the libraries, here they are run by a community interest group and they decided not to charge - for which I am very grateful!

      Delete
  5. So many books, so little time. I finished number 40 for the year this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your always well supplied with books. The new titles look excellent. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you like 'The Women' I loved it but I also liked 'Home Front' too so perhaps her books are not your style of book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've enjoyed some of her books, it was the subject matter of Home Front that I didn't like. I'll see how I get on with this new one.

      Delete
  8. I think you were the one who introduced me to Maisie Dobbs. I have loved all of the Winspear books! Thanks.
    Bonnie in Minneapolis

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely collection of books there. I think there are quite a few I am making note of.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice library book collection there. I am still plodding along with my reading from the bookshelves. I'm not doing too badly. I am doing really well not buying any books. I've even managed not to look at the charity shop books! I have bought a couple of on sale Kindle books, but I'm allowing myself that (as long as they are really cheap) as they aren't taking up space. I have been listening to some audio books which I am really enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your money saving tips are very helpful!
    We need to save money because I think it's like buying time, so in the future we work less!
    Or we can use the money on home improvements or travel (I love that).
    Loved your blog and will be following!

    ReplyDelete