It was a hot morning last Friday at Pot-Fest - a celebration of clay - held at Haughley Park near Wetherden - not many miles from home. (Also held in a few other places in the country during the year)
I didn't stay long as the dusty grass made me cough. Just long enough to admire the 100+ potters showing and selling their creations.
Raku firing - we know what it is thanks to The Great Pottery Throw Down which will be back for series 10 early in 2027.
It would be very easy to spend several £1,000 - no trouble at all!
The potters come from all around the country with all sorts of different things. There were lots of people looking at everything.. and being in the way of good photos ..... so just a few of some of the things on show.
It would be very easy to spend several £1,000 - no trouble at all!
Last year I got the bird seed feeder on a stake for the garden and this year I spent even less and bought this below.

It has a use - can you guess what? It's less than 2 inches tall and wide and I really could use a dozen. But being sensible and still trying to spend less............ saving for a possible home move sometime, just one came home with me.
Answer tomorrow!
And just for comparison this is how green the grass was at the same time last year at Haughley Park
I thought about candle snuffer but you wouldn't need a dozen!
ReplyDeleteI have an idea it might be a thingy to put on the end of a garden cane; so much more attractive than the little plastic flower pots or old plastic water bottles that I use. I adore that big secret garden bowl, but have nowhere to display it, even if I could afford it.
ReplyDeleteThe grass was so green last year!
I would hazard a guess it is a cane topper - love the blues
ReplyDeleteIt must have been a dusty day for the exhibitors
Gosh , what wonderful talented potters we have in our country, truly inspiring. Hope you have somewhere shady and cool to hide today. Sandra
ReplyDeleteSuch talent on show. Really beautiful things, especially those birds. I loved those tiles with drawings from nature too. You were careful with your spending as I agree, you could spend a lot quite quickly!
ReplyDeleteMy guess is a cane topper, a very attractive one.
ReplyDeletePenny
I will wait for the answer. What a lovely show of art work and potters though.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar seed head cane topper like that. Mine ended up on a metal rod next to my Tower of London poppy. Of your pictures, I like the tiles at the top best with the plants and grasses
ReplyDeleteWhat beautiful work (and owls!) sadly I have neither the money, or space to buy things like this. I wish I did because talent like this deserves to be supported. I'll wait for the answer too as I can't really imagine what the use is. It is so sad to see everything so brown. We have a continual stream of birds to all the water we have put out around the garden, everything they would usually visit in the wild has dried up. My plant saucers have never had such good use.
ReplyDeleteSuch lovely things. I’ll wait for the answer but think others may have guessed right.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Oh my, so many marvelous things to see. What talent! I hope they had lots of sales.
ReplyDeleteLovely selection of work. I often see beautiful things but have nowhere to put them - just as well really.
ReplyDeleteIs it to stick on top of bamboo canes to stop you poking your eye out. Some gorgeous items but it would just be something else to dust. Xx
ReplyDeleteAre you thinking of moving Sue ?
ReplyDeleteMiriam
I'm pretty sure it's a bamboo cane topper for the garden. My Dad used to use Yakult pots on top of all his, their allotment looked very 'recycled'. :-)
ReplyDeleteThat ceramics day out looked really good, being inside those tents must have been really hot even with the fronts or sides taken away. I don't think I could have been strong enough to resist buying something.
What beautiful work! I wouldn't have guessed on the poppy but having read the responses above, I think they're on the right track. The difference in the grass is remarkable, isn't it?!
ReplyDeleteThere were many talented potters displaying their work. I especially liked the owls. Did they sell with the display post too?
ReplyDeleteYour cane topper is a lovely blue.
It is shocking to see the green grass of last year.
Its hard for me to resist pottery pieces. Love those lamps! So much talent!
ReplyDeleteIs it a finial? Lots of pretty things there!
ReplyDeleteI'm coughing and sneezing with all this hot weather! Nose feels permanetly fizzy!
ReplyDeleteSame guess as most other commentators- I have been dipping in and out of beautiful galleries here in Cornwall - amazed at they talent on display
ReplyDeleteMiriam
Oh My Goodness! Such talent! I would've had to be restrained, and my credit card forcibly removed from my hand!! You do realise that your wonderful, broad, Arts syllabus is at the root of this, don't you? Here in little NZ, with only 5 million people, our opportunities for creative skills never get a chance to develop. And without that nurturing, you don't get the results you see here. I am incredibly jealous. I did my City & Guilds in Embroidery through a distance Learning school in the UK, (School of Stitched Textiles), and it was a wonderful experience . Just not available here.
ReplyDelete