28 August 2026

More Food (Not a Haul!) Shopping

 It seems this has become a regular thing...............unpack..............take photo........put away.

There was one purchase between the last shop and this one as I went to the nearest Co-op for the local 'Lane Farm' sausages .......but although they had their bacon they didn't have any sausages, so I got the other local pack 'Taste of Suffolk'...........which I could have got in the village shop although they would have cost me more. I divided into 4 x 2, wrapped and put in freezer without thinking about a photo. They were £3.29 for 400g.
 I'm odd because I buy the cheapest of cheap bacon (£1 bacon bits from Asda) but wouldn't dream of buying anything other than good local sausages.

Aldi had so many gaps and absences on their shelves that I had to go to Asda anyway even if  I'd not been going into town and needing to get my £1 parking fee back. 
Most noticeably missing at Aldi for the last two visits has been their decaf ground coffee and wholemeal bread flour.


From top to bottom. 4 Pints milk £1.65; rice £1.25; 400g extra mature cheddar £2.45; Asda Wholemeal flour £1.45; 2 x Asda decaf ground coffee @ £3.50 = £7; 6 white rolls 45p; 2 peanuts £1.18; Ham trimmings 400g £2.49; Carrots 37p; 1Kg nectarines £2.35; Head of calabrese 86p;

Total £21.50. 
Running total for month. £24.79 +£37.81 + £3.29 + £21.50 = £87.39

I very rarely buy meat but I do like ham but these packs of bargain ham trim don't often have a long date, but they did this time  so made me 4 main meals and, with the bread rolls, 4 other ham roll meals. (The bread from the bread-maker makes lovely toast but not so good for sandwiches)
That Asda coffee is £1.01p more than Aldi's when they last had some, I think it's something that has gone up in price a lot which is maybe why Aldi didn't have any. Last time Aldi had wholemeal flour it was 89p so the Asda is 56p more.

This shop was done last Saturday and I've done no food shop since but I may well make some scones today and buy myself  some clotted cream for a Bank Holiday weekend treat again......it's become a 'thing'!


25 comments:

  1. Great idea to have bank holiday scones!
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm quite happy that it's become a regular Bank Holiday treat!

      Delete
  2. I always buy "good" bacon for breakfast (unless I want cooking bacon) but not so fussed about sausages. Coffee prices have gone up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just remembered that I do buy good bacon - at Christmas - for pigs in blankets!

      Delete
  3. Coffee prices are very high, almost every time we purchase it the price has risen, we use beans here and look online for the best prices. We shop ay Lidl, it's closer the Aldi, I don't eat ham, and other process meats, rarely eat sausages, and buy home cured back bacon from Lidl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting to try Lidl if Aldi have things missing. -it's the side of town I don't go past so forget it's there!

      Delete
  4. I'm glad I don't drink coffee, but I have to have some in for when my offspring are here. I was shocked when I needed to replace smoked haddock (I buy it to make Kedgereee - one piece per panful, which does two meals). 4 small pieces in a pack - in Tesco, now £6.50! I tend to just buy one lot meat/fish per week to make several meals with. Mince goes a long way - a few spoonfuls of leftover spag bol this week made two pasties, so two extra meals. I haven't bought ham slices for ages - may do so next week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a problem as I've gone right off tea - typical as coffee prices go up

      Delete
  5. I think it's easier for sausages to have a lot of additives, well more so than bacon anyway, so it's a good way to do it. Alan used to buy those ham pieces from Aldi regularly when he had two little doggies to share it with him, but not so much these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've seen a long enough date on the ham for ages . It made a nice change.

      Delete
  6. I like to see good grocery shopping instead of the junk in so many families’ trolley.
    I buy Aldi pork shoulder steaks instead of sausages, more meat, less other stuff. The super 6 was good this week, I got mange-tout, pears, and stocked up on British apples to store in the garage.
    It is annoying when regular items are missing from their shelves for weeks, I like their wholemeal bread flour.
    Those packets of peanuts are so more-ish, I can guzzle the whole pack! A spoonful of peanut butter does as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peanuts are a problem - they are totally addictive. I started buying them for when i needed a savoury crunch as they are better than Pringles. But now I seem to be eating too many.

      Delete
  7. I love bread machine bread for toast but not so keen on using it as a sandwich, nowadays I quite often get it to the dough stage, shape into rolls , prove once more , then bake for about 21/22 mins 200 c fan oven. One roll makes a nice tea ( or lunch ) and they freeze well.
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bread machine loaf tends to fall apart when used as a sandwich, so I just don't have sandwiches very often but the buying of ham really needed to be used in ham rolls - one of my reasons for being unable to be vegetarian!

      Delete
    2. I use my bread machine as Alison does. I let it make the dough, and I bake it. Rolls work better in this family than sliced bread. Do you know you can freeze your bread dough too? I use 1/2 to make a small batch of dough and put the other half into a freezer in a ziplock. Pull it out and turn it out into a greased bowl to thaw and then use as normal. Pro-tip: you can wash out and reuse the bag for the next batch of dough.

      Delete
  8. I wish I'd bought more when 12 Oz bags of my favorite in local store brand coffee Wide Awake, were under $5, but nabbed 4. They'll last a while. They used to be $6.99 standard price but in the last 6 months jumoed to $9.99. Hopefully they go on sale and I can stock up again. Coffee and ground beef are now luxury buys it seems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things on special offer here are usually only down by a few pence and usually only the most expensive brands too - so it's hard to find a bargain

      Delete
  9. I just use one grocery store that is near me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to use one but it's hopeless when they don't have what's needed

      Delete
  10. Ach! Another food photo! You and the other Sue really capture the blogoshere with these.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like coffee too and the prices are rising. What used to be $10 is now anywhere from $12-14 for French roast ground coffee. Coffee at the coffee shop for a medium cup is now $7-8. Crazy pricing with no end in sight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a coffee out is getting more expensive each time I go

      Delete
  12. I picked up 2 packs of the Aldi decaff coffee on Thursday as they are going to be shut for a refurbishment for 5 days, I can manage for bits from Morrisons. Have a good Bank Holiday weekend. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Dad got given some really good bacon a few years ago, and so now is always impressed by the quality stuff - that being said, he still bought the cheap stuff for the carers to cook with.

    ReplyDelete