05 August 2026

St Mary's Church, Willisham

 Simon Knott creator of the Suffolk Churches Index has been here twice and never found it open and it wasn't open for me either but he wrote  a good story about it HERE




The church sits high and can be seen from half a mile away through the little lanes of this bit of Suffolk. Just a shame that it's always locked apart from the occasional service.

That's Parish Church  number 142 that I've visited (out of approx 500 in Suffolk), thankfully only a handful have not been open to see inside.

**************

Thank you for comments yesterday.


10 comments:

  1. That is very sad , that it is hardly ever open . Apart from the services , it is nice to sometimes go in and just sit quietly . 🕊️🌿

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No key holder details or any information - sadly

      Delete
  2. It is very frustrating when that happens - a waste of time and fuel. It is a pretty church and looks like it might be interesting inside too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 out of 4 locked on the day I did the tour so not too bad.

      Delete
  3. Shame you couldn’t see inside, looks like a nice little church
    Alison in Devon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As the Suffolk Churches Index guy had never found it open I wasn't hopeful.

      Delete
  4. That looks like a very nice church. I love all the stone exteriors. A smaller church seems more intimate to me and I like that.
    Why are some churches locked and others are not? I wonder if there was some kind of incident that called for locked doors?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it depends on it's situation and if there is anyone near enough for a key holder but it's always a shame to not get into a church.

      Delete
  5. It looks like a very sturdy church. Do you have a wander around the graveyards while you are at the churches? That is something that I used to love to do, I find them fascinating and not at all macabre as some folk do. It would at least give you something to do when you arrive and find a church locked up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a shame you couldn't go in. Maybe you can time your next visit concurrent with a service? If you REALLY want to see inside...

    ReplyDelete