Another frozen veggie concoction to try. From Asda £2.50 for two
I followed Sue in Lancs advice to heat up a baking tray in the oven before putting the pie on it to avoid a soggy bottom!
As usual there is a long list of ingredients, a few weird things. I wonder why they need to use both palm oil and rapeseed oil?
Ingredients : Water, Wheat Flour (calcium carbonate, iron, niacin, thiamin) rehydrated textured soya protein (11%). palm oil, maize starch, rapeseed oil, brown sugar, salt, yeast extract, maltodextrin, dried onion, garlic powder, tomato powder, wheat flour, palm stearin, onion powder, malted barley extract, thyme, black pepper, white pepper, red wine extract, emulsifier:mono-and diglycerides of fatty acids.
I served it up with fresh carrots and frozen peas and sweetcorn. It was actually quite tasty and the pastry was good and crisp - top and bottom.
I might buy again - much better than some of the other frozen veggie bakes I've tried, and handy to keep in the freezer for something different.


I avoid anything containing emulsifiers : a grey chemical sludge manufactured and sold to food companies to be coloured and flavoured for a multitude of purposes. Not good for us !
ReplyDeleteAnne in Lancs
Then it's thank goodness I only eat UPF's very rarely and most of my shopping is UPF free.
DeleteHummm….never been brave enough to try any fake meat products on the hubby…maybe one day??
ReplyDeleteThese and the Linda McCartney mozzarella burgers are better than lots of weird things I've tried. Most are never bought again!
DeleteWell done on your crispy top AND bottom. ;-)
ReplyDeleteEven big meat eater Alan actually really likes these pies, especially when I dish them up with lots of veggies and some Bisto gravy.
Pre-heat oven as per instructions on many frozen foods is something I rarely do but did for the pies and it was good advice from you!
DeleteThey look and sound excellent for a quick, tasty meal. Sometimes, despite ingredient lists I want something quick and easy, handy to have these in the freezer for those days.
ReplyDeleteAlison in Devon x
Yes I agree and as I don't eat things with odd ingredients very often , I'm hoping to survive!
DeleteThat looks pretty good! We don't have that brand here. Too bad!
ReplyDeleteA vegetarian range that's been around here since 1991. Good reputation too.
DeleteYour pie with mixed veggies looks delicious. That is a new brand to me.
ReplyDeleteThe ingredient list is long. Why are so many unusual additives required?
Susan
It's a good thing I don't eat things like this very often.
DeleteOut of all the meat free pies these are my veggie daughters favourite
ReplyDeleteWow looks really good and a good price too! I wouldn't be able to get half a vegetarian pie for that here ha ha! I've got to get back adjusted to the higher costs of food here. I'm cringing even more about paying out for veg and fruits. Sigh
ReplyDeleteI have been making frittatas from the vegetables in the garden. The last was summer squash sliced thin, onions, peppers, fresh basil, chopped cherry tomatoes. I sprinkle with cheese. It is easy to throw together.
ReplyDeleteI am not normally a fan of Linda McCartney food but that pie looks delicious.
ReplyDelete