Tuesday 27 February 2024

And The Final Food Shop of February..............

 ......from someone who never wanted to be a food blogger! but sometimes is short of ideas for blog posts...........


Once I was sure the floods had subsided I did the final February shop which came to exactly £29. After the third shop someone said I'd not spent much this month but this tops up my February food total to £114.70 which is a little below average for an ordinary month.

This last shop of the month was a pot of parsley (79p, for dividing and planting out later), cabbage, carrots, apples, pears and grapes. Cheese, butter and Stork for cakes; Icing and castor sugar, yeast, cashews, pack of three small boxes of apple juice (always in the cupboard for grandchildren); a jar of Malt Extract so I can see what a malt loaf made in the bread maker is like and finally a pound of sausages from the proper butchers, which will be split into twos before freezing. 
Proper sausages are quite expensive so nowadays I make two sausages feed me for two days- one day one sausage goes into a toad-in-the-hole and the next day the other sausage makes two sausage rolls. Every time I do this it reminds me of my Mum saying about our old neighbours that "they are so mean they only have one sausage each!". Two each was the norm in our house.
I don't buy sugar from Aldi - where most of my shopping came from - as I'm not sure of it's origin but at Asda they have Silver Spoon which is made in Suffolk or Norfolk. 
On the other hand Aldi have more British fresh veg than anywhere else. We've got to do more to support our farmers.

I don't eat much meat nowadays but last week had an odd wish for an old fashioned stew and dumplings, something I've not made for probably 10 years. So maybe March's meat purchase will be some stewing steak or even better some neck of lamb chops - I bet I'll get a shock when I find the price!

Back Tomorrow
Sue

16 comments:

  1. Surely it depends on the size of the sausage roll. I had a delicious one at Sutton Hoo two weeks ago - the right balance of meat to pastry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One sausage on a plate with veg is what they had and what I meant to say- we had two each. The neighbour lived into her 100th year so having just eating one sausage at a time did her no harm!

      Delete
  2. Stew and dumplings on a cold day is very satisfying. I haven't had stew for years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good idea about the parsley. Now, where's my shopping list? xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It worked OK last year so should work again and last all year

      Delete
  4. Goodness, the mention of Malt Extract has take me back 60+ years. I didn’t know you could still get it.
    Used to love it, certainly in preference to the other teaspoon that was doled out to all bairns of our age!
    J’nan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made a nice loaf of bread in the bread-maker - not as malty as buying a ready made malt loaf but all good ingredients

      Delete
  5. You naughty girl, you've stolen my posts title for tomorrow ... oh well we all have to eat and us bloggers all have to blog. ;-)

    I like minimal sausages too, when we occasionally have breakfast out on a Sunday morning, I order the veggie sausage bun and it comes with THREE Linda McCartney sausages ... I've been known to feed one of them to the dogs or even bring one home for future use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for stealing your title!

      Sausages are one of those things that need to be 'proper'. Heavens knows what they put in cheap ones.

      Delete
  6. I can only eat one decent size sausage at a time now, although if it's a veggie one I'd manage two! I've not thought about the origin of sugar - good point.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been buying bags of frozen Sweet Black Cherries - so handy when I'm out of fresh fruit. Just tip a handful into a fruit dish, they defrost quite quickly (or can be microwaved for a couple of minutes) and serve with some Cornish Ice Cream. Yummm. . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. The price of groceries are budget crushing. I worry for those with growing children especially teen boys they can eat so much.
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stew and dumplings is one of my favourite comfort meals. Prices keep rising so hopefully you get a good sale on stew meat.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Not a bad food shop. My husband actually said that this time I've been away he's been clearing out the cupboards and freezer. I think I'll have to spend quite a bit when I get back to get stocks back up. I'll have to shop around as food here is a lot more expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a delightful read! If you're ever inspired to turn your own space into something equally inviting, consider reaching out to Architects Near Me. Their talented team can help you create a space that perfectly suits your lifestyle and needs. With their attention to detail and creative vision, you can trust that your project will be in good hands. Check out https://arkiplan.co.uk/2022/05/27/architects-near-me/
    for more information on how they can bring your dream home to life!

    ReplyDelete