Thursday 8 February 2024

Moyse's Hall Museum

 A charity shop find from several years ago was this little pottery piece, made in Suffolk by Mudlen End Pottery in Felsham - no longer in existence. The pottery did all sorts of village houses and churches.


And this is the actual building which has been standing  in Bury St Edmunds town centre for over 800 years



I hadn't been in there for years so decided to pop in for a look round. Unfortunately I picked a time when they are between special exhibitions, so only their regular stuff was open to see but that meant the entrance cost was halved.




The Clock Room. These clocks and time pieces and many, many more once had a whole museum to themselves in Bury St Edmunds after being left to the town by Frederic Greshom Parkington many years ago. It closed several years ago and the clocks came here to  Moyse's Hall but they don't have room for all of them to be on display.



Everything below is in their Witchcraft and Crime and Punishment galleries which I'd seen before, many years ago. The Murder in the Red Barn items are the most famous and very gruesome.


William Corder murdered his lover Maria Marten in the Red Barn Polstead in 1827. Weirdly it was a well known story right into the 1960s


Below is the famous book with cover made from the skin and the scalp of William Corder


And another gruesome story in the museum.





Below is the only book from the Abbey to remain in a collection readily available for people to see. ( I went and saw some of the other  books in the Cathedral when they had them on display two years ago)








And some big lumps of carved stone from the abbey.





Back Tomorrow
Sue







34 comments:

  1. how utterly gruesome! what on earth were our ancestors thinking?
    The pottery replica is rather lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They certainly had different ideas of life and death back then

      Delete
  2. Very interesting and what a history of gruesome punishments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Inspiration for (history) crime writers !
    Maguy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fascinating, but I need to make myself a large coffee before I read any more detail! Who would have thought that a little pottery piece would lead onto discovering so much of the darker side of our past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use to work in Bury St Edmunds so knew the museum well, it's always had all the gruesome stuff!

      Delete
  5. It is an interesting museum, but does have a lot of artefacts relating to murders. But Bury St Edmunds itself takes its name from a murdered saint. On the other hand that little piece of pottery is a charming discovery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew what the pottery building was as soon as I saw it , used to walk by every day when I worked in Bury

      Delete
  6. There is something to be said for living in the 21st century. Wretched deaths for the convicted but what a fascinating museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have lots of special exhibitions too - the last one was about Space

      Delete
  7. What an interesting, if gruesome, place to visit. I love the little piece of pottery. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always had all the artefacts of local murders!

      Delete
  8. Love your pottery. I have visited Bury St Edmunds many times but never visited Moyes Museum. I shall, on my next visit. I like Bury, the place has an interesting vibe and the market is very lively, or it was when i last went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to many empty shops in Bury although it's very different to how it was in the 70's when I worked there.

      Delete
  9. Our local learning group had a talk on the Red Barn Murder. The speaker was very keen on Moyse's Museum and suggested a visit would be worthwhile. The Red Barn Murder was quite fascinating and rumours lingered for years about motive/perpetrator. It makes quite a story of love and intrigue and claims and counter-claims.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seem to have always known about the Red Barn Murder - must have still been a topic of conversation a century later

      Delete
  10. The pottery is quite a faithful reproduction of Moyses' Hall - a nice piece to have.
    The book of human 'skin' is fascinating but awful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did some strange things back then for sure

      Delete
  11. What an interesting museum. I especially loved the Norman? carvings at the end, and of course, knew of the Red Barn Murder but don't remember his scalp and skin being used to make that book. Gruesome. Jhn and Nathan Nichols sounded like psychopaths! Got their just desserts anyway. The little pottery piece is a good likeness for the museum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the stones are from the old abbey. Hadn't been to the museum for about 30 years

      Delete
  12. I have always enjoyed my visits to Moyse's Hall - such interesting displays, sometimes quite gruesome, as you say. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a shame that I picked a time between special exhibitions - lots of empty spaces

      Delete
  13. All very interesting but I like the Grandfather clocks best ☺️
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the grandfather clocks and the book from the abbey. I really kind of enjoyed reading about the crimes, though they were pretty gruesome.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The museum has done a nice job preserving history. Brutality and gruesome acts were fairly common and the museum has documented them well. The collection of clocks is outstanding. The piece of pottery was a very good find.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I collect those little houses! Love them! Don’t have that one though!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, you sent me off on a ghoulish internet search this morning, Sue! I thought I knew what a gibbet was, but I imagined it more as just a cage. Can you imagine children walking past that ghoulish scene for weeks and weeks?

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's such an interesting building. I love visiting Bury St. Edmunds. There is some good history there.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The Murder at The Red Barn was made into a popular melodrama. I saw a local amateur production of it, in my hometown, complete with villains twirling their moustaches, great overacting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How interesting, Sue. And I really love the little pottery house, too.

    ReplyDelete