Friday 23 February 2024

The Builder's Radio, A Free day, Books and Other Stuff

Why do builders always have those chunky Makita radios that go thumpity thump all day? My neighbours are having new fencing between me and them and having their patio re-laid and oil tank moved. The bloke who's doing it is the same man who laid a big patio through that very hot spell of summer two years ago for my neighbours the other side. 
That neighbour moaned a lot about this builder who he reckoned only did about 4 hours work a day.  I'm not sure how many hours a day he is doing this time but at least it's cooler for working (he said he got really ill working through that heat of 2022) and his radio is definitely thumpity thumping through the walls of my bungalow on the few fine days we've had - I'm glad this sort of noise always has an end date!
(Things like this never bother me now - once you have lost the most important person in your life there's not much else to be bothered by!)
I hope the man who's supposed to be sorting my patio later this year remembers he's doing it as I've not heard anything since I accepted the quote and got a message to say he'd taken on a labourer so it might be done sooner than May, which was original date. Hope he doesn't have the normal builders radio too.

Plans to go across to the coast to visit YD and the EGD on Wednesday were cancelled when we both looked at the weather forecast which said several hours of heavy rain were due over all of Mid and East Suffolk. YD is working with people who are travelling from Mid Suffolk to the coast everyday and they have been having real problems getting there - having to frequently detour - and after Son's experiences with flooding last Sunday it seemed much more sensible for me not to even try although the rain turned out to be not as heavy as forecast so I might have been OK getting there and back. No way of knowing.

That gave me a free day, so I baked cakes for the freezer instead! (and isn't it silly to say "baking for the freezer" when what is really meant is baking cakes for me!)

The flowering cherry in the garden suddenly turned pink this week as the flowers began to open, if only the sun would shine on them and we had blue skies they would look even better and I could take a photo.. The big magnolia looks as if the buds will open soon and there are tulip shoots popping up here and there but still on the whole not a lot of colour yet.

While staying at home in the dry I've been watching Snooker - The Players Championship from Telford while at the same time much reading has been done.
These books are on their way back to the library.


 


 I feel a bit guilty about the one on the bottom as I suggested the library buy it but found it a bit heavy going so it's going back un-read, which is a shame as I really wanted to enjoy it.

The last to be finished was ' A Venetian Reckoning' by Donna Leon which was originally published in 1995 and is the 4th of the Brunetti series set in Venice. This story starts with a terrible accident in the mountains when several girls from Eastern Europe being smuggled into the country are killed. Then an important lawyer is found shot dead in a railway carriage and as usual Guido has to find the answer to the murders while avoiding upsetting the high and mighty of Italy and his boss.
I'm glad the library have bought quite a lot of reprints of her books because for a long while they only had the most recent. I counted up and found I've now read 24 out of the 32 published - with another due out in July.
Details about the others read are on the Books Read 2024 page.

Back Tomorrow
Sue
 


24 comments:

  1. I must say I find that sort of radio thumping pretty annoying. Glad there is an end date to it though!

    Nice library haul. Maybe someone will enjoy the book more than you did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work next door is a slow process with one man on his own, hopefully not long left

      Delete
  2. Shame you had to miss a visit with your daughter and grandson but better safe than sorry. Bad news about your sons car earlier in the week.
    There is a post box in a local village that is now a place to book swap. I have just picked up two Donna Leon books, a new author for me. We have flooded fields here in Somerset and surface water in roads. Roll on the dry weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you enjoy the Donna leon you will have plenty more to read

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I don't envy you that thumping radio. I've never seen one of that size and shape before - looks expensive.

    Sorry rain stopped play with the family visit. I think everyone is more than fed up with the rain now. Well done with the reading. I don't get much chance these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All builders and workmen seem to have the radios. hopefully finished work soon

      Delete
  4. Workmen have to turn up to work in the worst conditions. I don't envy them. It can be quite entertaining listening to their banter sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd prefer banter to the radio - but hopefully soon finished

      Delete
  5. We had a similar flood experience driving home from my sisters a few Christmases ago when it had rained all day. We drove round a blind bend on a narrow country lane straight into a flood where the water rolled up over the bonnet it was so deep and had the car stopped we could not have opened the doors. I was driving (hubby had had a drink) and we had my daughter and a young baby in the back. We slowed almost to a stop but I kept my foot on the gas pedal and I have no idea how but fortunately the car did keep going. It has had an annoying intermittent beepy noise since though and everytime we go through any little puddle the engine service light always comes on - obviously damaged the sensor but other than that the car has been fine - I think being Christmas day the chances of getting anyone to rescue us would have been minimal.
    Workmen are a breed of their own - we are still waiting for a garage door quote (only 5 months now)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few roads have been closed recently while the council sort out flooding - and I heard about a local councillor making money available for some other work. So perhaps that will help locally

      Delete
  6. We have rain again today and I had hoped to tidy the garden a bit-will still do the daily litter pick with my new picker though-simple pleasures. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everywhere outside is just too wet to walk on. I shall have to wait

      Delete
  7. Our landscaper had the same radio whilst doing our garden last December, I think it's top of their tools list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can buy them at the same place that sells tools and materials

      Delete
  8. Baking cakes for yourself sounds like a delightful way to make the most of a free day! It's always a pleasure to witness the changing of seasons in the garden, even if the sun isn't shining as brightly as we'd like. The promise of blossoms and tulips brings hope for brighter days ahead. Enjoy your snooker matches and happy reading!

    READ MY NEW BLOG POST: Melody Jacob Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry , not reading your blog as it has too many ads!

      Delete
    2. She's also not a real person Sue!! This is the latest form of spam.

      Delete
  9. Oh my goodness, those radios..........not sure which is worse, enforced radio listening or a Worker who whistles all day 😀
    Baking for the freezer or yourself..........a nice rainy weather activity.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is quiet today which is odd as the weather is actually dry

      Delete
  10. Thanks again for the book pile photo. I've reserved two of these authors at my library as I am just finishing up my last pile of books!
    Have a nice weekend, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  11. When we had lots of work done I found that the best way to avoid the builders radio blaring out at me was to put mine on first. For me it was Radio 2 every day, slightly preferential to some of the other channels they tried to choose. :-)

    Hope you have a great weekend, and don't feel guilty about that book, I bet someone will love it. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never had a builder working on my property with a radio. I can see how this would be a bit annoying. As you say, at least there is an end date. Avoiding flooding roads is wise. Hopefully, the rains are easing and the water depth is decreasing.

    ReplyDelete