Thursday 29 February 2024

Leap Year Day

 Leap Year Day is properly called an intercalary  day.  In the calendar devised by Julius Ceasar the intercalary day was added after February 24th, which was counted twice. 24th February was sextus Kalendas Martias (sixth day before the calends of March) and then the following day was bis sextus Kalendas Martias ( twice sixth day before the Kalends of March) which was shortened to bissextus. The proper name for a  Leap year is a 'bissextile year'.

Everyone knows today is the day for women to propose to men rather than the other way round. This tradition goes back to 1606 at least. There is a tale that if a man refused he had to buy the lady a silk gown but nothing to prove this story has been found.


According to one book leap year day is also a good day to start something important but Chambers Book of Days says it's unlucky to start anything new, including marriage, in a leap year.
So take your pick!

This is a leap year saying from Scotland

Leap year was ne'er a good sheep year


Back Tomorrow
Sue

13 comments:

  1. Known in the US as Sadie Hawkins Day. No idea if Sadie proposed or what.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She was a cartoon character. But I thought SH day was in November

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this and I love your banner too. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. The folk lore and traditions are interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Romans must have had very good memories to know the names of all those says. Few of us now even know when it is one of the patron saints or quarter days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son married his first wife on 29th of February. All I will say is he's now happily married second time around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We moved into this house 40 years ago on leap day. It has been a good move.Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I forgot, I was only in this house for 10 months when I met the man who was to become my second husband and I walked away from here for four years until first husband passed away and I got the house back. We never got divorced as he always believed that I would come back. Gigi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should share that fact with my niece, today is the second leap year that she has proposed to her boyfriend and the second time that he has said a very firm no ... it's good job she loves him!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The sky is leaking here in North Devon. Our plumber is currently hopefully fixing our outdoor boiler that went wrong during its annual service on Monday. Think he's not thinking too much of leap day just at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This says Leap Year can go either way. No guarantees. Seems normal to me. Just another year!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an interesting post. I just have to keep remembering that there is a 29 this year and it's a 366 day year not a 365 lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never heard about women being able to propose to men today. Interesting.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete