Wednesday 7 February 2024

Vanellus Vanellus But We Call Them Peewits

Driving home from town two weeks ago  and on the edge of the village  I noticed a recently ploughed field covered with birds. At first glance I thought they were all gulls but slowed down and noticed Fieldfares and what we in Suffolk (and some other places) call Peewits, but are properly  known as Lapwings or sometimes Green Plover. When I pulled over and got out to take a photo they all went flying off to the other side of the field. 

So these photos of the Peewits is taken through the car window  and not as sharp as I'd like but you can just about see their wispy crest and the tinge of iridescent green, pink and purple.





As usual I had a look in my book "A Sparrows Life as Sweet as Ours" with illustrations by Carrie Ackroyd, but was disappointed. Usually the illustrations are lovely but this one was a bit of a let down, she hadn't caught the colours at all.



In my other book with beautiful illustrations - An illustrated Country Year by Celia Lewis -  is this below which gives a better idea of the colours - not that I could do any better!




The name Lapwing comes from the noise their wings make in springtime aerial displays. And their call is 'pee-wit, pee-wit' which explains that name. They generally live in large flocks, although in declining numbers when it isn't the breeding season and some are resident with others arriving on the east coast in autumn and winter.
They were once killed for their meat and eggs and selling the eggs was big business until the 1926 Lapwing Act. The chicks can run and feed themselves as soon as they hatch but the adults will defend the young by running off dragging a wing as if they are injured to lure away the predator.

And a poem from Edward Thomas to finish

Two Pewits

Under the after-sunset sky
Two pewits sport and cry,
More white than is the moon on high
Riding the dark surge silently;
More black than earth. Their cry
Is the one sound under the sky.
They alone move, now low, now high,
And merrily they cry
To the mischievous Spring sky,
Plunging earthward, tossing high,
Over the ghost who wonders why
So merrily they cry and fly,
nor choose 'twixt earth and sky,
While the moon's quarter silently 
Rides, and earth rests as silently.

Back Tomorrow
Sue


43 comments:

  1. How lovely to see so many Lapwings. I've heard them called Peewits, and of course that name echoes their distinctive shrill call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew them as Lapwings until I was much older

      Delete
  2. In my ignorance, I never knew a Peewit was the same as a Lapwing. Thanks for this post, Sue (and the poem)

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call them peewits in Norfolk but I don't see them these days. They used to be quite common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First time I've seen any for ages - hence the photo

      Delete
  4. One of my strongest childhood memories are huge flocks of Peewits in the fields bordering Shop Lane. They were so beautiful with the iridescent sheen on their wings and their lamenting cry. Love the Edward Thomas poem, though I'm not keen on the last word of every line rhyming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 60's they were always on the fields in winter.
      Weird forced rhyming I reckon for the poem

      Delete
  5. When you see a flock of them it's hard to believe that as a species they are in big trouble. Intensification of farming seems to be the main culprit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the first time I've seen any for years. Now very rare

      Delete
  6. Wow! You lucky lady! I haven't seen peewits in years. Increasingly rare in Britain and here in Europe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had to stop when I saw them and they've not been there again since

      Delete
  7. Lapwings to us, not heard of them being called Green Plovers, although I can see why they might be. As for peewits, I thought that was a different bird entirely!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen Lapwings for years but used to see them when I was living in Kent. It was always a delight to see them rising from the fields.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were busy feeding along with gulls and fieldfares - a treat to see

      Delete
  9. I’d forgotten the word peewit. Mum and Dad used to say peewit, they were Suffolk people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think I've ever seen one, but the colours would not stand out with my colour vision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have that glint of colour that changes in the light

      Delete
  11. I have enough trouble identifying birds without them being known by so many different names. I have often thought I have seen a field full of what I thought were small Gulls, who knows what they might have been!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of different gulls around, especially near the coast. I have to look them up to know which

      Delete
  12. Interesting facts and I enjoyed the illustrations. Fascinated to read the bit about dragging a wing to distract predators away from their young.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some other birds do this too but can't remember which

      Delete
  13. I'm never good at identifying birds as they often move too quickly for me to get a good look at them! You did a good job with the zoom to capture their pretty color for us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that little poem, and your little peewits. You captured the iridescence nicely. We have a bird called a 'killdeer' that must be related to them. It lays its eggs on the ground and the parents will put on a display of being wounded while it lures the predator away from the nest. The name killdeer is from their shrill cry. They are plovers too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely to come across the peewits feeding in a field. When bird numbers decline/disappear and then come back in to view, it is always welcomed. Birds move suddenly and you got a picture that shows the color and markings very nicely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were certainly more commonly seen than they are now

      Delete
  16. We used to see a lot of these in the fields nearby but hardly ever see them now. However we do see lots of ring necked parakeets and red kite. Strange how some birds increase and others fade away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parakeets haven't got to Suffolk from London yet and Red Kites are just arriving here from the west, saw my first one while at Son's house recently

      Delete
  17. Cute crest on the head of the Lapwings.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Here in Maryland, we are on a great migration route, but lapwings are still listed as "casual to accidental" visitors. Too bad, they are colorful!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a lovely bird! I have seen several when I've been back but not as many as you saw in the field. Love the illustrations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 90's we often saw them at the smallholding by the coast not noticed them here in Mid Suffolk before

      Delete
  20. In Dutch they are called 'kievit' (pronounced kee-vit), in Frisian they are called 'ljip' (pronounced lyeep). It used to be tradition for farmer's sons to go hunt for the first kievit-egg of the season, which was then presented to the queen. Nowadays, the egg needs to stay in the nest, and the finder gets a certificate, a small statue, media recognition and €15.
    The first egg is recognised as the first signal of spring, because it is only laid when the average temperature was a certain number of degrees during a certain number of days.

    ReplyDelete