Monday 1 July 2024

JULY COUNTRY DAYS


Illustration by Eugene Grasset from the Illuminated Book Of Days edited by K and M Lee

Julius Caesar the Roman Dictator who reformed the calendar in 46 BC named the month after himself, he was killed in the Ides Of March so that he couldn't proclaim himself Emperor.  July often contains some good hot days sometimes referred to as Dog Days. At this time of year Sirius, the dog star, rises at the same time as the sun and was thought by the  Romans to give the sun extra heat. The Dog Days are from July 3rd until August 11th .

JULY 

My emblem is the Lion, and I breathe
  The breath of Libyan deserts o'er the land;
My sickle as a sabre I unsheathe,
  And bent before me the pale harvests stand.
The lakes and rivers shrink at my command,
  And there is thirst and fever in the air;
The sky is changed to brass, the earth to sand;
  I am the Emperor whose name I bear.  

Longfellow -  The Poets Calendar


Anglo-Saxon names for the month are Heymonath for haymaking or Meadmonath meaning flowering of the meadows. The full moon in July is called the Wyrt moon or Mead moon . Wyrt is an old English name for herbs and July was the traditional time for taking the first honey from the hive and making mead. 

The main date in July that people associate with weather rhymes is St Swithin's day on the 15th, although there is no record  of this day ever being followed by 40 days of rain even if it pours on the 15th, the average is 17 days with rain.

If St Swithin weep, that year, the proverb say
The weather will be foul for forty days

This old saying covers all eventualities...

If about St Swithin Day a change of weather takes place,
                                         we are likely to have a spell of fine or wet weather



There was also a belief about the ripening of apples. It was thought that if it rained on the 15th the Saint was christening the apples and there would be a good harvest. In many areas no one would eat an apple before this day but after the 15th windfall apples could be used for jam making.

'Til St Swithin's Day be past
Apples be not fit to taste 


Here in Suffolk our one week of Summer was last week and now we are back to cloudy and several degrees cooler.

(I caught up with the Cold Play set from Glastonbury on TV last night - how brilliant it was. Somehow listening to good music has disappeared from my life in the last six years. I've still got some favourite CDs - Divine Comedy, Chris Difford, Robbie Williams, Josh Groban and some Brass band stuff - just need to watch less TV!)

Back Soon
Sue


22 comments:

  1. I just commented on another blog that July won't have to work very hard to be the warmest month this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not looking hopeful for a hot July - sadly

      Delete
  2. I hope that wasn't our summer last week! I am hopeful for a glorious September and October. I watched the Coldplay set, I thoroughly enjoyed it. My other half loathes Coldplay so didn't watch it. Happy to enjoy it on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked at the forecast and tomorrow temps are well down - hope summer comes back soon

      Delete
  3. I love brass bands and prog rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When my husband was alive we would go to Brass band concerts if we noticed any happening - don't even hear about them now

      Delete
  4. We have some much needed rain here this morning and the garden looks so much fresher. I had my second shingles jab on Friday so had a beluga weekend. Hopefully will get the neglected sewing machine out today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My water butts are empty so I guess we need rain here too

      Delete
  5. It is so cold here today that I have actually clicked the heating on to stop myself shivering, once I warm up a bit it's going off ... and the kettle is going on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Coldplay - such a great band.
    Where did May and June go? 😩
    The illustration is beautiful.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. The year is flying by too quickly for me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 17 days of rain is a lot of rain. I also watched Glastonbury on TV and it was brilliant. We're having 80-90 degree F days with an occasional 60 degree F day. The ground is dry and we need some rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It won't be rain all day and probably just a shower or two - my water butts are empty so I need rain too or I will have to use mains water

      Delete
  9. As ever Glastonbury has delivered. I really enjoyed the Paul Heaton set. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm now going to have a look for that as I'd forgotten he was on. Thanks for the reminder.

      Delete
  10. The rhyme says the weather will be foul for forty days. This could mean extreme heat or any other nasty weather, not necessarily rain.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Definitely less TV!
    July here came with rains,
    ok we cooled down!!
    Anyway, it's summer!

    ReplyDelete