Monday 23 January 2023

Recently Read

 Two of the books read in the last couple of weeks have been very readable and both very connected to the Church of England.

First - 




'Next to Nature; A Lifetime in the English Countryside' by Ronald Blythe. For many years Blythe wrote a column every week for The Church Times. These were later collected into books beginning with 'Word from Wormingford'. Next to Nature is the final collection prior to his death, aged 100, this month. Going through the year he writes about his home at Bottomgoms Farm in the village of Wormingford  on the Suffolk/Essex border, the natural world and farming, the village people and the church year. All of his writings show his incredible memory for things that had happened in his long life, his love of reading and learning and all the friends he knew.
His writing is very lyrical and descriptive. I've opened the book at random...........

The Village bakes. Sudden winds fan the heat about and creamy plates of elderflowers cense the hedges.
 The news is dreadfully unwise at the moment - very unexalting. But then, it was very unwise of me to stand on a wasps' nest and receive three stings. "Vinegar", David says. The stings fade into an itch. More wasps on the wrong side of my bedroom window. I let them out into the smoky darkness.

One of my childhood autumn sounds was to hear a big spider negotiating the ancient bedroom wallpaper where it had become loose on the uneven wall. September spiders now appear in the bath, and have to be carried to the garden by the glass and postcard method. In fact, the latter spider transport is an essential September fitting, by the soap. 


(I've just reserved The Bookman's Tale - one of my favourites of his books to re-read.)


The second was the first novel by Rev. Richard Coles  - Murder Before Evensong.  Rev. Coles is well known in this country for being the multi instrumentalist member of The Communards in the 80's, before becoming a C of E Vicar.  He presents a radio programme - Saturday Live and was once on Strictly Come Dancing and is often on TV panel shows and quizzes.



Canon Daniel Clement is Rector of Champton, living at the rectory with his widowed mother and two dachshunds. When he announces plans to remove pews to make room for a toilet in the church the parish is unexpectedly divided, and then there is a murder - the first of three. Is there a connection or is the reason for this brutal killing somewhere in the past? The Patron of Champton, living in the "Big House" Champton Hall is Bernard De Floures and the first person to be killed is Anthony Bowness, murdered in the church and found by Daniel. He was a cousin to Bernard and had been delving into the village and Hall history using papers from the library. Another village man is also interested in the history of the Hall especially the time it was used during the war by the Free French. He is the next to be murdered.
Daniel has the job of helping the police - because of his knowledge of his parishioners- and keeping the village together, while organising the funerals.

I enjoyed this and found it better written than books by that other TV personality turned author Richard Osman.
But I was puzzled by some of the reviewers on the back cover who thought it "funny". It is cleverly plotted but I certainly didn't find it funny.

Back Tomorrow
Sue

46 comments:

  1. I'm glad you enjoyed RCs book - I have reserved it at the Library and now I'm really looking forward to reading it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just looked to see when the next is due - June this year

      Delete
  2. I can remember buying Ronald Blythe's masterpiece "Akenfield" from the Readers' Book Club (do I remember that correctly?) half a lifetime ago and more. I must revisit some more of his works as he clearly wrote the sort of things I love and in a prose I will enjoy.

    Looking forward to getting back to some crime fiction when I've finished Pillars of the Earth and its mate World Without End. Rev. Coles sounds worth reading. Richard Osman - rubbish - I was drawn in by the hype!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've real all three Richard Osman books and thoroughly enjoyed them, Bovey Belle. It's just horses for courses I guess.

      Delete
    2. I also enjoyed the two Osman books I have read. One has to be in tune to his wit and clever observation to fully appreciate his writing.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Boleyn - the first Osman was awful…no matter how finely tuned one is 😀

      Delete
    4. I read what I like and leave what I don't like to everyone else!

      Delete
    5. Pensive Pensioner, indeed. I dare say some of my recent reads might not appeal to all :) Though I can recommend Nikki French and Phil Rickman (I happily re-read his books).

      Delete
  3. I don't usually choose crime fiction as I like a gentler read. I might try the Ronald Blythe one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crime Fiction is my favourite - no risk of weird/happy/sad endings!

      Delete
  4. I shall be quite happy if I never hear the name Ronald Blythe again for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s a very bold statement to make Rachel. I’ve never read any of his works so am wondering if it’s the man personally or his writings you don’t care for

      Delete
    2. Calm down everyone - it's just a book - I just carry on reading what I like and leave what I don't like for others. - Simple.

      Delete
    3. Norfolk and Suffolk humour is rather dry Cathy.

      Delete
  5. Ronald Blythe is not my cup of tea either. I listened to Richard Osman’s first novel when it was read well on Radio 4. Currently reading “Christ Stopped at Eboli” by Carlo Levi for book group. Am always suspicious of these cult status novels but now I am beyond the first 50 pages I am enjoying the characterisations, scenery and conversations of 1930s Southern Italy in the time of Mussolini. Sarah in Sussex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness everybody doesn't like the same thing - what a boring place a library would be!

      Delete
    2. And how long the waiting times for some of the books would be too!!

      Delete
  6. I have read the Osman books. I thought the first one was pretty dreadful as he through everything bar the kitchen sink at it. The second one was better for me and the third one not bad. I am hoping the fourth one will be good.

    Looking forward to the Richard Coles one. Thought I had it in order but just checked and I didn’t but do now. Why does he still call himself a Reverend as he has retired. I find it very strange that certain professions are referenced in titles, others aren’t. Rev, doctor, major but not farmer, school teacher, librarian etc etc.

    Haven’t read any Ronald Blythe - will have to rectify that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is still a Rev - and always will be - just how it is!

      Delete
  7. I've just started the Ronald Blythe, my first of his, and am enjoying it so far. It harks back to the countryside many of us remember, but which is now much changed. What has struck me in the January chapter is the experience of water - in West Wales we have seemingly non-stop rain, and very wet winter fields and gardens, whereas Blythe refers to dangers from the sea and rising waters. With totally different soils and topography, the effect of rain is so different. I'm looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He lived a very simple life and enjoyed everything about country living.

      Delete
  8. I love Osman, but you need to be tuned in to his humor. I can't see anyone liking Blythe who loves Osman. Your extract from Blythe was enough, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s not his humour I have an issue with. It is his ability to write. He has improved and his next one might be good. But as PP said horses for courses. I just find the comments that one needs to be tuned in to his humour and clever observations a wee bit of a put down.

      Delete
    2. I'm not particularly bothered about what anyone thinks about any of the authors mentioned.
      I just read what I like regardless

      Delete
    3. Not at all a put down. His humour is an acquired taste and not all are attuned to it. Also hearing him talk of his mother in a similar old people's village and how he picked up the ideas was influential on my enjoyment of the books and the humour.

      Delete
    4. Not at all a put down. His humour is an acquired taste and not all are attuned to it. Also hearing him talk of his mother in a similar old people's village and how he picked up the ideas was influential on my enjoyment of the books and the humour.

      Delete
    5. My apologies that I took the “you need to be attuned to it” as a put down.

      Delete
  9. My comment disappeared - I did write one, maybe it’s gone into your spam folder

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not in spam although that's not to say it won't suddenly appear in a few days - all very odd!

      Delete
    2. Funnily enough that's exactly what happened to one I made. It literally just vanished as I pressed publish!!

      Delete
  10. Blythe's and Coles' books aren't in my library here so I won't get to read them. I like your attitude Sue and agree with your philosophy - read what you like and leave the rest for others! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Rev Coles book may get over there in time. - I never bother to finish books I don't like!

      Delete
  11. RB is a wonderful writer and I've asked my local library to retain some of his books. I love the excerpt you presented here. Sept. is spider month...vinegar for bee stings, wasps on the wrong side of the window... Yes, to all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have never read either of these authors
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know my views on Blythe's writing - I enjoy every word and have done so with this (I had it for Christmas) although it is a compilation of writings from his other books and as I have them all I have read them before. Everybody doesn't like them. I am not a Christian but I even love the bits about the Bible as they are so well written and always have some bearing on the rest of the piece.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous is me (Weaver) Sue

    ReplyDelete
  15. Enjoy hearing about the Blythe books. Cannot get into the Osman books but I read hundreds of books yearly for Netgalley…so many great ones…good ones…some not so much…Louise penny has become one of my favorites exc for some of the vocabulary. The one she and Hillary Clinton wrote was so good…

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have only recently signed up for Netgallery. I am working hard at keeping my feedback percentage at 80% . Once I have more books under my belt it will be easier. Enjoying it a lot. With any luck I will have read quite a few of the Booker nominees before the long list is announced.

      Delete
    2. Enjoy…it has saved me. The library in Indy was fantastic but the one here in Florida…love the convenience of reading on my IPad and germ free…saves paper too

      Delete
  16. The last book looks very interesting. I love mysteries like this.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. They both sound really interesting. I like nature books so the first one sounds especially great. I remember The Communards - from my era lol. I've seen him on some shows and he is quite funny!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm one of those who did find the Coles book funny but not in a laugh out loud, more in a wry chuckle sort of way. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a big fan of myserties such as crime books and police procedurals. My epic book favorites are Rosamunde Pilcher's Coming Home but overall - give me a good who-dunnit!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like Osmun so if you say that second is even better, I'm all in! I'll have to keep an eye out if it's available here.

    ReplyDelete