Friday 1 March 2024

Springing Into March

 1st .......St David's Day and the first day of meteorological spring


Upon St David's Day
Put oats and barley in the clay


From the book 'The Illustrated Book of Days' artwork by Eugène Grasset



In the Roman calendar March,or Martius, was the first month of a new year. The month was named after Mars, the god of war and the guardian of agriculture. March was the month when both farming and warfare could begin again after winter. (There have always been wars waiting to start)




MARCH

  I Martius am! Once first, and now the third!
To lead the year was my appointed place;
A mortal dispossessed me by a word,
And set there Janus with the double face.
Hence I make war on all the human race;
I shake the cities with my hurricanes;
I flood the rivers and their banks efface,
And drown the farms and hamlets with my rains.

H.W. Longfellow. In the Harbour, The Poets Calendar 1882

The Saxons called it  Hlydmonath meaning loud month for the windy weather or Lentmonath or lengthening month, because of the equinox and lengthening of days and this is the origin of the word Lent. By the end of the month there will be two extra hours of daylight and then we'll change clocks on the last day of March which is also Easter Sunday.


Dry days are precious to get seeds sown.................A peck of dust in March is worth a king's ransom.

It would be very good to have dry days and sunshine in March - we certainly need it. It feels as if it's been raining since October..............actually it HAS been raining since October!

Back Tomorrow
Sue






26 comments:

  1. We've had so much wet here. We didn't get much snow (it was the 4th warmest winter on record) but oh, how it did rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No snow and hardly any frosts here - I wonder what spring will bring

      Delete
  2. Oh to be able to garden and look as elegant as the illustration! I don't think that my ancient jeans, old dog-walking jumper, and muddy wellies quite hit the mark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My garden is like a soggy sponge - fit for nothing

      Delete
  3. Still raining here in Pembrokeshire!
    Lovely illustration
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heavy rain again this morning here. No more floods as yet

      Delete
  4. It's been raining here on and off since June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't it be great to get a longer spell of warm, sunny weather. Right now - it's raining. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wondering if I'll ever get to sit out in the sun again

      Delete
    2. Me too! But first, the lawns need mowing, the shrubs need tidying . . Sunshine is needed - NOW!

      Delete
  6. I love the illustration, and her gorgeous yellow seed dibber

    ReplyDelete
  7. No change in the weather in Dorset. We are awash with mud, more grey skies but there are bulbs out in the garden so some colour. Sarah Browne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have daffs still not out - too cold and grey

      Delete
  8. Pouring with rain here again, but also windy. March is often blustery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always a very mixed month - spring will get here eventually I hope

      Delete
  9. Gorgeous illustration. Ack to scraping the car this morning to go and collect prescriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sunny here for awhile until another quick storm blows in and out. Big day here for Welsh hubby, though sadly no welsh cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love that illustration. If I were to put on a dress and sashay into the garden clutching a dibber today, I would be washed or blown away in the blink of an eye. It is literally pouring down, and the high winds are just having a laugh with my daffodils and snowdrops, poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soggy gardens seem common right now. My garden, lawns and woodlands are soggy with patches of ice due to overnight freeze. March usually brings high winds and this helps dry the ground. Until the ground dries, this is known as mud season.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Here in Cornwall, we've had a night of heavy rain and hail battering the windows, a morning of hail, snow, rain and a little sun, followed by more of the same. I'm staying indoors. So there!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 1st March! Finally, the weather seems to be improving. Xx

    ReplyDelete