Saturday 31 August 2024

End of August

    Our last day on the IOW was wet so we had  a couple of short visits to  places that were free and inside - out of the weather.......  Quarr Abbey .............                                                                      








........and the Coach and Bus Museum

Youngest Granddaughter was sure she DIDN'T want to visit here but actually enjoyed it - there were 5 buses to get into and 'drive' and she loved a double decker that had once been lived in by a family with 8 children!









Another place we visited while on the IOW was Dinosaur Isle, which sounded amazing for the 4 year old Dinosaur expert and he loved it but goodness me...... it was very expensive for what is there.  The family went off one late afternoon when the tide was out and found the fossilised Dinosaur footprints at Compton Sands so the MGS was extra pleased. 

***********************************

And now I've been home a week and it's the end of August. No frugal notes for August - I didn't want to be frugal while on holiday with family! - although the rest of the month wasn't too bad.

I've now got 9 days to clear all my books from the shelves, all the crockery etc from the cabinet and everything else that I can shift by myself from the living room ready for the hardwood flooring. It's going to take me all of the 9 days with much walking back and forward to the spare bedroom and my bedroom.

Doubt there will be Frugal notes in September either as I have to pay the other half of the cost of the flooring when it's done and I'm getting paint to do the walls while the room is half empty. That will be hard work I think - it's several years since I did the whole living room at Clay Cottage.

Back Soon
Sue

26 comments:

  1. It looks as if IoW is a rather splendid place, full of all manner of things to do. Thank you for sharing, and I'm so happy for you that you had this lovely family time together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The IOW was so much busier than I remembered from the past, but then I guess everywhere is now.
      Nice to spend a good amount of time with two of the grandchildren although being with a 4 year old and a 6 year old for a week was exhausting!

      Delete
  2. I think it's almost impossible to be frugal on holiday. It sounds like you all had a lovely time away. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so nice to spend time with family, but it's nice to get home again, too. Good luck with all the heaving of stuff - I don't envy you that task.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish there was a better way to move all the books - need a book trolley like we used when I worked in libraries

      Delete
  4. That sounds like a lovely holiday. I'd never heard of Quarr Abbey. Good gracious, 10 people living in that bus - they must have stacked them like sardines come bedtime!

    The idea of all that shifting isn't fun but you'll just have to do it once more after that, to put it all back. Like you I have decorating to look forward to and may actually start a corner of the guest bedroom today to cheer myself up a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Abbeys were not something we visited in the past - unless they were ruins and I'd not heard of this place either.
      I'm not looking forward to painting the room - it's a big room but I'll be glad to get rid of the grey walls and dull brown/beige carpet

      Delete
  5. Enjoy the money while we can, we can't take it with us. We had floors done in 3/4 of the house a few years ago, it would have been easier to move.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once the living room carpet is replaced with hard wood laminate flooring there will only be two bedrooms with carpets - glad about that. Hard flooring is so much easier to look after

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you had such a nice get-away with your family. It's worth it for the happy memories!
    You will be so glad when the work is finished and your place is re-arranged. It will look so brand new and lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not looking forward to the painting but I must get rid of the dull grey walls

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you all had a really good holiday. Now you are right back into hard work and lifting and shifting. Oh well you can be frugal in October and November and then it will be Christmas .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad there are no longer 1,000 books to move!
      Just done August accounts and without the holiday it was a good month so not a worry after all.........and I bought the paint already

      Delete
  8. I somehow missed that you were putting in new flooring. Sounds like a vast improvement for your space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I didn't mention the floor. The carpet in the living/dining room is a horrible brown/beige fleck that I've disliked since moving in. Looking forward to hard wood flooring with a rug - much easier to look after.

      Delete
  9. My goodness, your September is sounding busy. Make sure to take some time to yourself during all the renovations - don't want you to burn yourself out. Mxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the exercise of painting will be hard work, but it doesn't matter how long I take

      Delete
  10. Gorgeous places to visit. Love the bus museum.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many enthusiastic volunteers at the bus museum and everything you ever wanted to know about buses and coaches

      Delete
  11. Nice places you visited. I bought a utility wagon a few months ago to use when I need to a lot of things with me when went Relay for Life event in June. It's bigger than a wagon. It would help you as well to move all of your books 📚 😉 😊. I hope to new flooring for kitchen and dining room and hallway. Have a good weekend and stay safe and don't overdue yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have enough days to take things steady so will be OK

      Delete
  12. Such a lovely holiday and it will be so nice when all the work in done and you are cosy and comfortable again in your lovely home. The new flooring sounds great. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've hated the carpet since the day I moved in!

      Delete
  13. You've had a wonderful holiday and the IOW provided plenty of lovely places to visit. I think you will love your new wood flooring. The installation takes some time but when the job is done it is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sometime a frugal month takes a back seat to more important things: like time with the family.

    ReplyDelete