Saturday 10 August 2024

Lots of Short Notes from the Week

The Olympic part Summer of Sport 2024 has nearly finished - what will I do now?  Have to wait for the Paralympics coming along on the 28th.

 Something I didn't know......................

Team GB is the brand name used since 1999 by the British Olympic Association (BOA) for their British Olympic team. The brand was developed after the nation's poor performance in the 1996 Summer Olympics, and is now a trademark of the BOA.

 Something odd............when I went out early to the boot sale last Sunday morning, for several 100 yards down the A140 the road was strewn with Parsley. Somewhere nearby it must have been grown as a crop for cutting. Had to investigate online when I got home and found this Company not far away. Another thing I didn't know.

 Book 8 for the Summer part of Reading The Seasons was a re-reading from about 50 + years ago of The Greengage Summer by Rumer Godden. I expect many book lovers have read this at sometime - it's a bit of a classic - a coming of age story. I'd forgotten almost all of it so it was lovely to read again.

Thumbnail for The greengage summer


Why does a book of short stories take less time to read than the same number of pages in a single whole story? I read the stories in this below in no time at all. Elly Griffiths - The Man in Black and Other Stories. These feature some of the characters from her Ruth and Nelson; Max Mestopho and Harbinder books.

Thumbnail for The man in black & other stories


 How and why is a 51 year old man doing Olympic skateboarding? Is he mad?

 On Thursday I watched some of the kite surfing/sailing at the Olympics, it looks like the nearest thing to flying .....and a Gold Medal too. Exciting stuff. More really good races in the Velodrome and on the athletics track.

 I was cutting back some of the Black Elder which keeps getting tangled up with the washing on my whirly when I heard my neighbour getting started on cutting his side of the horrible Yew Hedge out the front, which is really my hedge and I usually do both sides. I'd been putting off the job but I didn't want him to do it all as he's had a few health problems so I quickly got the extension lead and hedge cutter out and got my side done. Goodness me, it's a knackering job now I'm nearly 70! I couldn't reach one bit last year so left it sticking up but my neighbour managed to get that too so it's all level and neat enough for another year.

The BBC have really plugged some of the sportsmen and women at the Olympics, with short films on their background being shown several times, but on Thursday Katarina Johnson-Thompson was in the Heptathlon and I'd not even realised she was there in France - I'm sure she'd had no mention at all beforehand.  She did so well and got a Silver medal.
A Gold medal in the sport climbing before lunchtime Friday. The GB&NI hopes were for more than 50 medals total and by the end of Friday they'd won an amazing 57.

Runner beans and the climbing French beans this week, providing me with a couple of 'baits'.



Got some busy times with family now for a couple of weeks, I think I can post every other day as there are some church visits and a few other posts in drafts- I'll see how it goes - I might end up with more time than I think as the Surrey family aren't staying with me this time but near the coast for some seaside time for the boys.

I will be back..................
Sue



33 comments:

  1. A lovely round up of your news, I'll look out for the Greengage summer book. Have a nice time with family.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I'll see much of family after all - sadly.

      Delete
  2. A nice mix of snippets, I enjoyed that. Did you rescue any of the parsley? Enjoy that family visit. I have the same thing here, our London lot are staying at the seaside and just dropping in for some family meals and visits. Much easier than when we had to squeeze them all in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Parsley was all over the busy road - and I have some at home anyway.

      Delete
  3. Over for another four years. We had two Olympians from my village and the neighbouring village of Solva. Jaz Joyce in the Women's Rugby and Micky Beckett in the Sailing. Not bad for two small Welsh villages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is good for two small villages - not sure if anyone is there from the whole of Suffolk - we lack sporting facilities

      Delete
  4. What will you do now? I'm surprised you've asked that question, as you always seem to keep yourself busy :)
    Have a lovely couple of weeks with your family. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just discovered Quizzie Monday Evenings are back - so that's good news

      Delete
  5. A lovely posy of mini posts! I sat up till midnight to watch the Perseids (and then it clouded over so nothing to see) so watched the late night Olympics round up on BBC. A lovely interview with Toby the climbing lad, and his Dad. And KJT was so joyful about her silver, I was thrilled for her. Rosie and I watched the diving on Thursday - she's been at summer swimming lessons every morning this week at our village pool. We were amazed by the skill. I struggle to jump in, let alone somersault off a board high in the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each year I hear about the meteor shower but have never had the energy for staying up!

      Delete
  6. It sounds like the Olympics are ending just in time with family on their way. I haven't read anything by Elly Griffiths but I've seen so many mentions of her books so I've got the first one in the Ruth Galloway series waiting to be read. I'm coming to the end of the Seven Sisters series so it will be good to embark on something new. Enjoy the time with your family, I hope the weather's good so that they get plenty of seaside time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoy the first in the series, I have come across people who didn't like them at all , but most do

      Delete
  7. Have a lovely time with your family and we’ll see you when you come back. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not going to be spending much time with them after all , so will be here

      Delete
  8. I'm trying to imagine 3,000 acres of parsley.
    It's hard to believe the Olympics is nearly over. So many hopes and dreams realised or broken.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there was any growing anywhere around - interesting to discover

      Delete
  9. You'll have to find the parsley field and get yourself some for the freezer. Yes, I always find that I can whizz through a book of short stories, but also that I don't remember the details of them for long after reading them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got my own parsley here so OK. No idea exactly where it was growing

      Delete
  10. My library (a huge system) doesn't have the Elly Griffiths short stories! Very annoying, now I have to request they buy it (and they probably will, but surely such a popular writer would be on their list anyway). Your beans are a lovely blue-green, at first glance I thought it was a bunch of ribbons.

    Ceci

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your library will get a copy for you to buy. Suffolk libraries usually buy things I suggest

      Delete
  11. Lots of great reading this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A nice wrap-up post of what has been going on with you! I've enjoyed watching the Olympics in the evening and it has been great to see the good sportsmanship and exciting moments no matter who wins!
    I do like Elly Griffiths and have several of her books to read in my pile this week.
    Have a great time with family, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been enjoying the Olympics all day!
      Enjoy your Elly Griffiths books. She has a new series next year with time travelling detectives!

      Delete
  13. I was shouting for KJT, last night! She’s worked so hard over the years and I remember watching her when she was in the 2012 London Olympics and very much in the shadow of Jessica Ennis. So glad that she achieved a silver medal.

    I must’ve missed the Rumer Godden book, ‘Greengage Summer’ but I do remember reading ‘The Diddakoi’, years ago, to my class.

    I hope that you managed to pick up some of the parsley? I love parsley sauce and would probably have taken home a bunch! 😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KJT was brilliant - can't imagine the stress of 7 events!
      The parsley was just tatty bits all over the road but I have plenty growing here anyway

      Delete
  14. The skill shown by the men and women at the Olympics has been impressive. I can't imagine the dedication it takes to build their exceptional skills. In my opinion, just getting there is a huge accomplishment. Enjoy your time with family at the seaside. Salty air, surf and sand/rock beaches are never disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have enjoyed the two weeks of Olympics immensly.

      Sadly the Suffolk coast has very few sandy beaches, mostly shingle and stones and just grey seas!

      Delete
  15. I miss Ruth and Nelson -- will have to check that one out. I love a post like this one -- lots of fun things. Happy weekend and enjoy family time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I will miss the Olympics as well - I've really enjoyed watching so many of them. However, my daughter has just arrived in the country so that will keep me busy! Enjoy your family time together. Those times become more and more precious as we grow older :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I went to have my blood checked last week the phlebotomist was excited that her country - Thailand - had won a medal. I see that they now have six, which is the same as Jamaica and S Africa. I notice that there are 113 teams with no medals at all and are presumably just there for the joy of being part of such an exciting event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Thai medals are in Boxing, Taekwondo and Weightlifting apparently - so at odds with the tiny, laughing lady that takes my blood!

      Delete
  18. I think anyone who skateboards must be slightly bonkers - it looks so very dangerous!
    That's a whole lorra parsley!!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice 'bits' to round up the week. I love random thoughts. Sometimes they just run around in my head a little too much lol

    ReplyDelete