Saturday 3 August 2024

Saturday 3rd

There have been some sticky hot nights this last week, the gel pillow things are totally useless, they only stay cold for a short while so I was glad of a cooler night on Thursday. The gypsies/travellers who've bought land down the road and moved in two caravans haven't got electric on yet and have a generator running and at night I can hear it in the background which is well annoying on a night when the windows  are open for a bit of air.

 In and out today taking my entries to the Fayre and Produce Show and going back later to see if I've won anything. As one of the Handicraft classes was for 'An item of Cross Stitch' I was able to put in an entry as I've got several of my X Stitch pictures around the house. Plus the tomatoes and peppers and one cake.


Just one entry in the Cookery classes this year. A Coffee and Walnut Marble Cake - chilling in the fridge - I don't think it's marbled enough to be a prize winner. 


Prize winnings are still in pence so I'm hopeful for winning something somewhere which might be enough for a cup of tea!

Still watching as much as possible of the Olympics. An emotional end to Andy Murrays long tennis career, but with 4 children under 8 at home he'll be kept busy! Trampolining Gold yesterday by a GB woman - Bryony Page who has had Silver and Bronze in the past- 33 years old. When I was 33 I'd got 3 children and the pelvic floor would have been no good  on a trampoline! Then another Gold for the team show jumping- that made 9 Gold by 3pm Friday and 25 in total and up to 3rd in the Medal Table - Incredible stuff.
One sport I never watch is boxing but I heard about the transgender woman and saw the news about her - so much bigger and stronger - seems so very unfair and odd of the Olympic Committee. Perhaps one day there will be a whole different category or a wholly different games - Olympics, Paralympics and Trans Olympics? 

Murder Takes a Holiday: Classic Crime Stories for Summer (Paperback)

The 8th Book for the Summer bit of  Reading The Seasons was another collection of short crime stories edited by Cecily Gayford. - Murder Takes a Holiday; Classic Crime Stories for Summer.  From Conan Doyle to more recent authors like Ruth Rendell. All good stories.


zoom




Apologies to people whose comments went into spam again . I look and there is nothing there but then another day there are comments from many days earlier. It's been like this for a couple of years now and about time blogger.com solved this issue.


Back Next Week
Sue

34 comments:

  1. Blogger won't admit it's an issue so no chance of solving it. Same with disappearances from blog lists on sidebars and reading lists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You remind me that I haven't checked for a few days - thanks.
    I see what you mean about the marbling but I bet that cake would win in the flavour stakes. It looks delicious!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My replies to comments go into spam too - sometimes 3 days later

      Delete
  3. Good luck with the entries. I hope you do well and win enough to have a cup of tea and a slice of cake!

    (It was our Village Show last weekend, funny tale to tell when I have time.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm having way too many issues with Blogger. It is what it is, and it is free.
    Good luck with the show! The cake looks good even if you think it isn't marbled enough. It's all about the taste.
    I don't watch the boxing either but wonder where all the categories will end? Team GB has done marvellously well. I recall all too well as a child hoping to see us win something, anything, but we often came in last, the also rans, and it was a triumph to make the final. How times have changed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Watching all the different sports is so good. I wish there were more of the unusual ones on TV during the other 3 years

      Delete
  5. I think your cake looks delicious and I could eat a slice right now for breakfast ๐Ÿ˜€ That generator would get on my nerves too.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saturday evening after the show and I tried a slice of cake and it is good and so very sweet . Most is in the freezer now (it was a 2nd prize winner!)

      Delete
  6. Your cake looks delicious.
    The comment issue is incredibly frustrating. I've left several comments recently, on various blogs, which I'm certain went straight into spam. And I'm constantly having to reapprove comments on my own blog. Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cake was good- if I say so myself and it won a 2nd!

      Delete
  7. An old friend of mine is always keen to enter these shows in categories from abstract photograph to best jar of marmalade to half-a-dozen matching leeks. The prizes are never enough to recoup the entry fees! Good luck with your cake, tomatoes, peppers and cross-stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The cake looks delicious and I go for flavour over form every time. Hope you enjoy the show. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to enter the show all through the 1980s and now back here again and entering again 40 years later!

      Delete
  9. I enjoyed watching the GB team win the show jumping. Beautiful horses :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GB are doing very well - it's so exciting to watch all the different sports

      Delete
  10. Without people like you, such things as the Fayre and Produce Show would sink without trace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the 1980s there were many many more entries than now, despite the village being so much smaller back then

      Delete
  11. The boxing was very unfair…and even more ridiculous that the Olympic rules and the International Boxing Association rules, differ. I read that the so called transgender person wasn’t actually transgender but that she has XY ( male) chromosomes. I don’t know why the IOC doesn’t sort this out as it’s very unfair when someone has trained so hard to compete.

    I’ve been enjoying the tennis and I’m now looking forward to the athletics!

    Good luck at the show! ๐Ÿ˜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The boxing thing is weird.
      I've loved all the other sports - even the unusual ones like canoe slalom when the canoeists are dumped in the water from a sloping ramp and have to do a roll half way down the course!

      Delete
  12. The cake looks wonderful. The spam filter is a pain at times.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The generator noise is a nuisance, hopefully it will not go on for much longer. It is very hot and humid in Massachusetts too. The Fayre sounds like fun and your cake looks delicious. I agree sport competition becomes unfair. Why muddle things? Like gender people competing with the same, sounds right and more fair to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The generator noise carries in the quiet of the night - a background noise that seems louder when I try not to hear it!

      Delete
  14. I'm not on blogger so can't log in but I just wanted to say that the woman boxer who won is not transgender. She might be intersex but it's unknown at the moment because the boxing association that previously banned her has kept that information secret. Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good luck with your entries!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Home again with my winnings - Photos on Monday!

      Delete
  16. Wish I could have a bit of that cake! Looks lovely. Hope you post the cross stitch you entered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I will gladly dispose of your non-prize winning marble cake for you. *runs for a fork*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations on your wins!

    ReplyDelete