Wednesday 14 August 2024

Mellis Church - Another St Mary's.

I'm glad I looked on a map and then in Street-view to find the church, or I might have been driving up and down the roads through the common for ages.

Mellis is famous as having the largest - 239 acres - and oldest area of open common land in Suffolk. Managed partly by the Suffolk Wildlife Trust in the same way as it has been for centuries. Here is their website. Mellis was home to the late author and environmentalist  Roger Deakin.

In the distance you can see one of the old mill buildings dating from the time that there was a busy railway station and junction here. Now the trains just rush through between Norwich and London.


The church is up a dirt track off the road with a couple of houses nearby and is hidden by trees all around it. It has no tower as that collapsed in 1730


I thought the modern door into the building at the base of the old tower looked slightly out of place. I think the end of the single bell rope is inside. The remains of the tower were turned into buttresses for the church.


Inside the church are the stairs that would have gone up into the tower 300 years ago


 The Nave and chancel are both light and bright despite the trees all round. The carved  rood screen remains when so many were removed.


The stained glass in the  East window is modern by Surinder Warboys whose studio is in the village.


The pews at the front of the church - where the gentry would have sat - have doors to keep out the draughts. The pews further back for the common villagers don't have anything to keep them warmer!






I noticed this little triptych in a niche by the altar. I think it's modern but beautifully painted.


One of the first things I noticed when walking in were the very colourful stitched kneelers beautifully done.


The font is very traditional Suffolk style dating back to the C15 with lions at the base.


Back Soon
Sue




32 comments:

  1. That's a lovely place, the kneelers and triptych especially beautiful.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the kneelers are gorgeous - they would make lovely pictures

      Delete
  2. The enclosed pews do look more snug. That is some display of kneelers. I wonder why so many of them are secular in design?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you found it; a nice rustic old church full of character. It must be something in the air around there - I can easily imagine Roger Deakin taking 300 years to get around to repairing a fallen tower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not exactly sure where in the village he lived and where he swam everyday in the pond

      Delete
  4. I love it when the kneelers are up on display like that. And yes, that modern external door is out of place! The modern stained glass, however, blends in well. Thanks Sue for the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mellis Common looks delightful. I smiled at the thought of stained glass in an old red telephone box. It must be quite eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know two other villages with stained glass in the telephone box now that they are no longer used

      Delete
  6. I love the landscape with the open long views. For me, the modern stained glass seems out-of-place. Somehow I like the old more traditional windows found in churches. The kneelers are amazing. Each one unique and nicely displayed like pieces of custom art.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will have to add that one to my list to visit.

    BTW as I learnt from John Vigar pews have doors - otherwise they are benches. He said that he was contemplating having “benches not pews” engraved on his headstone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know that about pews/benches. In the Baptist chapels there were never any doors and they were always called pews

      Delete
  8. What an attractive display of kneelers. Don't you just feel sorry for the poor old common 'riff-raff' who had to sit without the advantage of doors to keep them warm?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine being forced to go to church for services lasting hours!

      Delete
  9. Another really interesting post, thankyou - I didn't know that there was a Suffolk style of font. Mellis Common is the size of a medium sized farm here in Devon! I wonder how the Suffolk Wildlife Trust became one of the "Lords of the Manor"?
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know we had a style of font either but I read it in a leaflet somewhere

      Delete
  10. Another great church. I love the kneelers. They are beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Must have been lots of good sewers in the village

      Delete
  11. What a lovely little church. I have a soft spot for the isolated ones. I'll make a point of visiting next time I'm in Suffolk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So many are a long way out of where the village has grown more recently. With Mellis common being so big the village buildings are spread out all around it

      Delete
  12. The kneelers are beautiful. Are they old, or are they something that continue to be created to this day?

    ReplyDelete
  13. A lovely old church. I'm glad you were able to find it. The stitched kneelers are works of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank goodness for internet to zoom in on the village

      Delete
  14. I really love that stained glass window - beautiful.
    Isn't Street View a useful thing. I use it a lot. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Street view is very handy quite often for finding churches

      Delete
  15. Lovely church-rood screen, kneelers and the stained glass. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  16. There is often great art and architure in smaller out of the way churches.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely church. Those stitched kneelers are absolutely gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete