I've been keeping a note of what's been produced from the garden this year. Surprised myself at just how much there is when it's written in a long list like this!
So this is the up to date list of what one 'not quite old woman' can produce from a garden..................
All these are finished now
- Lettuces (I tried to get some more going but they just ran to seed - too hot I think)
- Rocket and small beetroot leaves as salad leaves
- A few asparagus spears
- lots of rhubarb
- A surprising amount of strawberries from 6 new plants and a few from the old bed.
- 3lb of gooseberries
- Lots of raspberries and 3lb put in the freezer
- 2lb Redcurrants
- Few mange-tout peas - put in the freezer
- Green beans - some put in the freezer
- 2 small Calabrese heads.
- 2 small cauliflowers
- Runner beans - my late sowing seed experiment worked until the wind blew them over a week ago. I salvaged some to eat last weekend and this week but that will be it for this year
I can see lots of weeding to do sometime!
- Last of the tomatoes from greenhouse
- Almost the last of the potatoes
- Cooking Apples (Lots have gone into freezer)
- A few Eating Apples
- Few peppers left in the greenhouse (lots in the freezer)
Still to come
- 4 Cabbages - If they've survived the butterflies
- Brussels sprouts ditto
- A few Leeks
I could do better - there are things that can be sown regularly - like lettuce and I meant to say weeks ago that my trial of growing new tomato plants from the side shoots didn't work. Each potted-up side shoot grew - at a great rate - until they were about two or three feet tall, very spindly and no sign of any flower trusses! So I chucked them out.
Now it's almost time to decide what to grow next year.